Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Dec 14, 2023 at 5:08 AM Post #9,256 of 9,329
Same here. Currently listening to Mantra from Santana's Lotus album with them as I write this. Man, I love these headphones :L3000:

JRiver Media Center 30. CD ripped in uncompressed FLAC. Yes, I have the CD as posted > here.
Very nice!

I love them as well, but ill have to admit that I was not very fond of them in the beginning, and thought that I had wasted $750 on some crappy sounding headphones. But then something happened, and I started liking them more and more. Maybe this is the reason they have been so polarizing over the years?! Maybe thise that absolutely hate them only listened to them for a few minutes and made up their minds?! They DO have an acquired taste though.

In the end I don't even regret the amount that I payed. I actually got a good deal at the time of purchase. I got them for $750 when they were still $1000 (pretty much) everywhere still.

Dec 14, 2023 at 11:04 AM Post #9,257 of 9,329
Very nice!

I love them as well, but ill have to admit that I was not very fond of them in the beginning, and thought that I had wasted $750 on some crappy sounding headphones. But then something happened, and I started liking them more and more. Maybe this is the reason they have been so polarizing over the years?! Maybe thise that absolutely hate them only listened to them for a few minutes and made up their minds?! They DO have an acquired taste though.

In the end I don't even regret the amount that I payed. I actually got a good deal at the time of purchase. I got them for $750 when they were still $1000 (pretty much) everywhere still.
To be honest I too considered returning them as posted in this thread some years back. In fact, I actually thought they were defective, but the store I got them from assured me they weren't and that I should give them some burn in them. Seven years later I still have them.

BTW, I got mine for $499 new from Hi-Heaven as posted in this thread back in 2016. It seems the price was falling drastically by the time I got mine. Amazon even dropped below that as stated in that post.

But yes, they were a controversial headphone that some either hated, loved, or hated only to end up loving. And I'm sure many got returned. Anyway, mine now sounds much warmer with the Black Dragon cable I got from Moon Audio; and therefore, much more enjoyable, though at times I do miss the airiness the OEM cable provided, but unfortunately, I no longer have it as it got sliced in a door. Still mad about that. Would be nice to find one though.

Dec 14, 2023 at 8:21 PM Post #9,258 of 9,329
To be honest I too considered returning them as posted in this thread some years back. In fact, I actually thought they were defective, but the store I got them from assured me they weren't and that I should give them some burn in them. Seven years later I still have them.

BTW, I got mine for $499 new from Hi-Heaven as posted in this thread back in 2016. It seems the price was falling drastically by the time I got mine. Amazon even dropped below that as stated in that post.

But yes, they were a controversial headphone that some either hated, loved, or hated only to end up loving. And I'm sure many got returned. Anyway, mine now sounds much warmer with the Black Dragon cable I got from Moon Audio; and therefore, much more enjoyable, though at times I do miss the airiness the OEM cable provided, but unfortunately, I no longer have it as it got sliced in a door. Still mad about that. Would be nice to find one though.
I still have mine and it doesn't sound bad to my ears, but I hate how long and heavy it is. I don't normally listen to headphones that far away, so the 10' cable was lost on me. I do have another one that I ordered in the interim (New Fantasia fro Ebay), before finding my Hart Audio cable, and it does sound much like the stock cable.

Dec 15, 2023 at 2:06 AM Post #9,259 of 9,329
I still have mine and it doesn't sound bad to my ears, but I hate how long and heavy it is. I don't normally listen to headphones that far away, so the 10' cable was lost on me. I do have another one that I ordered in the interim (New Fantasia fro Ebay), before finding my Hart Audio cable, and it does sound much like the stock cable.
I know I can find tons of subs, but I'm only interested in the OEM cable as I already have other subs, including the Black Dragon. I just want the OEM cable cause there's certain music I have in which the OEM provides a better sound. At times I think the Black Dragon is a little too warm where I think the OEM would be better.

The reality is no one item fits all, no matter what it is. Cables are no different. I have certain albums (ex: Diana Krall the Look of Love) that sounds like heaven with the Black Dragon cables, but then I have stuff (ex: Hiromi Move) that sounds a tad muffled. This is where having the OEM cable helps. And I know this cause those albums were played on the same system with both cables.

So, while overall, I prefer the Black Dragon cable over the OEM cable, there are instances where I like the OEM cable's sound better. And why I'm looking for one now. As for length, and weight, that doesn't bother me. In fact, when I bought my Black Dragon cables, I opted for the 10-foot version. And OEM's weight never bothered me.

Dec 15, 2023 at 4:32 PM Post #9,261 of 9,329
I know I can find tons of subs, but I'm only interested in the OEM cable as I already have other subs, including the Black Dragon. I just want the OEM cable cause there's certain music I have in which the OEM provides a better sound. At times I think the Black Dragon is a little too warm where I think the OEM would be better.

The reality is no one item fits all, no matter what it is. Cables are no different. I have certain albums (ex: Diana Krall the Look of Love) that sounds like heaven with the Black Dragon cables, but then I have stuff (ex: Hiromi Move) that sounds a tad muffled. This is where having the OEM cable helps. And I know this cause those albums were played on the same system with both cables.

So, while overall, I prefer the Black Dragon cable over the OEM cable, there are instances where I like the OEM cable's sound better. And why I'm looking for one now. As for length, and weight, that doesn't bother me. In fact, when I bought my Black Dragon cables, I opted for the 10-foot version. And OEM's weight never bothered me.
https://www.audiosanctuary.co.uk/official-sennheiser-hd700-replacement-cable-with-jack-plug.html

Single ended

https://www.audiosanctuary.co.uk/sennheiser-hd700-xlr-connecting-cable.html

And balanced

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2023 at 4:53 PM Post #9,262 of 9,329
Yeah, I looked there. Even emailed them to see if in fact it is a new OEM cable. I might end up getting it from them, but that's not going to be till after Christmas.
Have you tried here? I couldn't tell you anything about the store, but this is really all that I could come up with (that seems legit anyhow) after searching for a while.
I don't trust that company. They say they're in Colorado, yet the phone number reads Pennsylvania. And no one ever picks up the phone.

The company Backsplash7 posted, I've emailed them in the past and they said the cable was new, but at that time I never ordered, having just paid a king's ransom for my Black Dragon cable. I'll recheck them after Christmas, and if they still have it, will probably order. Will probably cost me at least $100 bucks between US to Pound conversion and shipping to USA. Single ended.

Dec 15, 2023 at 4:57 PM Post #9,263 of 9,329
Yeah, I looked there. Even emailed them to see if in fact it is a new OEM cable. I might end up getting it from them, but that's not going to be till after Christmas.

I don't trust that company. They say they're in Colorado, yet the phone number reads Pennsylvania. And no one ever picks up the phone.

The company Backsplash7 posted, I've emailed them in the past and they said the cable was new, but at that time I never ordered, having just paid a king's ransom for my Black Dragon cable. I'll recheck them after Christmas, and if they still have it, will probably order. Will probably cost me at least $100 bucks between US to Pound conversion and shipping to USA. Single ended.
I've ordered several things from them, earpads for various sennheiser models and cables, all brand new and sealed, even for very old models. I think they're an official reseller of sennheiser spares

Dec 15, 2023 at 8:25 PM Post #9,264 of 9,329
I've ordered several things from them, earpads for various sennheiser models and cables, all brand new and sealed, even for very old models. I think they're an official reseller of sennheiser spares
Which company are you talking about because I said I didn't trust the company (Vconcu) Samandhi posted. That said, if they're a trustworthy company, and that cables is legit at that price, I may order two.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2023 at 8:58 PM Post #9,265 of 9,329
Which company are you talking about because I said I didn't trust the company (Vconcu) Samandhi posted. That said, if they're a trustworthy company, and that cables is legit at that price, I may order two.
I'm talking about the site I linked to, audiosanctuary. I've never heard of vconcu.

Dec 30, 2023 at 10:26 PM Post #9,266 of 9,329
If anyone has a HD700 with one working driver and willing to sell please let me know. I had a disastrous mod attempt and needing a new driver. I already contacted the Audio Sanctuary and Senn USA and they didn’t have the replacement driver either. Thanks

Dec 31, 2023 at 3:48 AM Post #9,267 of 9,329
If anyone has a HD700 with one working driver and willing to sell please let me know. I had a disastrous mod attempt and needing a new driver. I already contacted the Audio Sanctuary and Senn USA and they didn’t have the replacement driver either. Thanks
What mod were you trying to do?

Dec 31, 2023 at 6:08 AM Post #9,268 of 9,329
What mod were you trying to do?
Direct wiring mod but the driver gave out on me. Never had this happened on full size drivers before.

Dec 31, 2023 at 6:29 AM Post #9,269 of 9,329
Direct wiring mod but the driver gave out on me. Never had this happened on full size drivers before.
Oh, can the brass plugs be removed from the housing then? I've never taken mine apart to check, but I'd have been interested in trying a direct wire job myself. So, was there just too much heat transfer, with the iron held in place for too long, or...?

Dec 31, 2023 at 12:52 PM Post #9,270 of 9,329
Oh, can the brass plugs be removed from the housing then? I've never taken mine apart to check, but I'd have been interested in trying a direct wire job myself. So, was there just too much heat transfer, with the iron held in place for too long, or...?
Yes, the plug can easily be removed but the solder pad on one of the driver gave out so easily. A replacement driver that I bought from ebay may have died from the heat from just one soldering. I have done such mod to countless headphones and this is the first time this happen to me. Direct wiring mod can improve the sound drastically but his time ends in no sound from one driver sadly!
IMG_5878.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back