Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Feb 15, 2016 at 4:38 AM Post #5,881 of 9,329
@Hammy
, my old girlfriend in Korea sent me these pictures of her HD-700 cable, it looks like those sold on ebay, about $42US if I converted correctly.  She says that its has very little microphonics to her, but if you hit the cable on a desk or chair then it will transmit noise.  She did say that the cable I built for her HE-400 is much better to give me a better idea of quality.

Based on this I think you should consider the H-83880 if cost is a problem, if not then you have a wide range to chose from.

Nice cables but I think the reason for the substitute was due to cost, those extended connectors look like they would cost more that the entire cable that he was considering.

@PETEREK
, you do some of the nicest work out there and thanks for sharing:beerchug:

When I get home I'll see how microphonic that cable is, at least that cable certainly looks like the exact one I'm using. All my listening with the hd700 is done sitting, so I don't really have to worry about that.

Well, putting it on and walking around, while there is some microphonics, to me it's not bad at all. I've heard a lot worse than this, and would personally not find it annoying whatsoever. It's not going to be perfect of course, but even with purposefully swinging around the cable so it'd constantly brush up against clothes and hit other things, it wasn't bad by any respect.

Feb 19, 2016 at 8:40 PM Post #5,884 of 9,329
  @DavidA Yep, I edited my original post because it was the last post still up.  I didn't find the microphonics to be an issue at all.

Sorry, was looking at your post late at night so didn't read it all the way, thanks for the reply, so the cable is not bad after all, guess I my old girlfriends assessment is pretty good.

Mar 1, 2016 at 10:17 PM Post #5,885 of 9,329
Here's a new video for you guys. Hope you enjoy it! After this video, I'll be making one about HD700 vs HD800.

Mar 1, 2016 at 10:59 PM Post #5,886 of 9,329
@Zombie_X, video does not show up
frown.gif

Mar 1, 2016 at 11:01 PM Post #5,887 of 9,329
Hm, it shows up in my fine for me in my comment. 

Mar 1, 2016 at 11:06 PM Post #5,889 of 9,329
I'm not sure what's going on your end. For me it shows an embeded video with thumbnail.

Here's the direct link instead > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iGcCRM2LyU

Mar 2, 2016 at 10:13 PM Post #5,891 of 9,329
Hi,

I purchased a pair of the Sennheiser HD 700 and received them Monday. To be quite honest I'm somewhat unimpressed and am wondering if it's me or the headphones. 

So I understand these are open back headphones, but to me they sound a little too thin; as though they're underpowered. Even when cranked. This is with them plugged into my Teac UD-503 DAC, my Creative ZXR soundcard, or even my Pioneer CD player, which has an overpowering headphone section.  That while they will hit the bass notes, at times even there they sound a little thin.

Bottom line is my music sound like there's no weight to it and I'm wondering if I got a bad pair? I'm seriously thinking about sending them back, but since I ordered them online the turnaround time can be a pain.

I'd like to get your thoughts before sending them back because perhaps it's me as I've never owned a pair of headphones like these, especially open back.

Oh, and I'm not a bass head, and this is with all genres of music. 

Thanks.

Mar 2, 2016 at 10:40 PM Post #5,892 of 9,329
I would not say 700's are thin at all in bass. I don't know what to tell you but that is not my experience with these phones.

Mar 2, 2016 at 11:13 PM Post #5,894 of 9,329
  Hi,

I purchased a pair of the Sennheiser HD 700 and received them Monday. To be quite honest I'm somewhat unimpressed and am wondering if it's me or the headphones. 

So I understand these are open back headphones, but to me they sound a little too thin; as though they're underpowered. Even when cranked. This is with them plugged into my Teac UD-503 DAC, my Creative ZXR soundcard, or even my Pioneer CD player, which has an overpowering headphone section.  That while they will hit the bass notes, at times even there they sound a little thin.

Bottom line is my music sound like there's no weight to it and I'm wondering if I got a bad pair? I'm seriously thinking about sending them back, but since I ordered them online the turnaround time can be a pain.

I'd like to get your thoughts before sending them back because perhaps it's me as I've never owned a pair of headphones like these, especially open back.

Oh, and I'm not a bass head, and this is with all genres of music. 

Thanks.

It might help to know what headphones you have enjoyed listening to in the  past. If you are used to listening to a certain sound signature, changing that sound signature might sound "wrong" to your ears, whether they be accurate (such as the HD700's are) or not.

A lot of headphone makers purposely boost certain parts of the FR curve because that is what sounds good (or fun) to a lot of people. To listen to highly accurate headphones is not for some people at all. The HD700's HAVE been boosted a bit in parts of the FR curve to make them sound more fun than the HD800 (for instance). So, while the 800's are more accurate (and better technically in almost all ways), I prefer the sound of the 700's over the 800's all day long (IMO) because they sort of have the best of both worlds (fun + accurate). On the other hand, sometimes I prefer something like the Momentum because they are more about "fun", than accuracy (not that they aren't accurate at all, just not as much so as the 700's).

Mar 3, 2016 at 12:04 AM Post #5,895 of 9,329
Originally Posted by samandhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif

It might help to know what headphones you have enjoyed listening to in the  past. If you are used to listening to a certain sound signature, changing that sound signature might sound "wrong" to your ears, whether they be accurate (such as the HD700's are) or not.

Thanks guys,

Yeah, I suppose it would help to list my previous phones...

Well first off, the 700's are my first foray into "high end" headphones. Prior to that I was using pretty much low grade phones until I got a pair of Audio Technica ATH M50's. They were a somewhat neutral sounding monitor headphone that weren't too bassy, but when they needed to thump the did. However, they didn't quite have the openness I was looking for and seemed to lack clarity in the mids. I did however, liked them a lot and if it weren't for the fact that they died, I might not have looked at the 700's. In fact, I ordered a pair of the M50X's to replace them and they'll be here this Friday.

I still plan on keeping the 700's but I also wanted to get a pair of phones that would allow me to enjoy my electronica and dance music a bit more, where I feel the 700's are better suited for my Jazz and old classic rock moods.

Anyway I was also using a pair of Bose QC 15, and 25's. The 25's sound much better and fuller than the 15's but really couldn't touch the Audio Technica's in overall sound, including the low end.  The Bose though where my "travel" headphones so...

Anyway I take the 700 are a bit airy and it's something I have to get used to, but I'm still wondering if these are somewhat defective because they really sound like there's no life there, and from all I've heard and read, I've not seen anyone say this, so.... 

With that, I'm gong to call the place where I got them from and see what they say. I'm seriously thinking about exchanging them for another set of 700's, since I'm now committed to them.  I ordered a custom made balanced cable from Surf Cables for use with my Teac UD-503 . Instead of the XLR connector at one end, they'll have two 1/4 jacks. They should be here sometime next week. So, yeah, I'm no committed to the 700's since custom made cables are a final sell item. 

At any rate I appreciate the tips and suggestions. Keep em coming.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back