Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Feb 14, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #5,866 of 9,329
  Will not fit the HD-700 unless you are going to cut some of the plastic to fit the cut-out/notch

For reference the black plug is a 2.5mm for a Momentum

Thanks.  So it's only the genuine HD212 cable that fits and not necessarily the 3rd party ones?  I may still try modding that eBay cable.. hacking something to pieces is easier than creating it from scratch. 
tongue.gif

Feb 14, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #5,867 of 9,329
On my 700s, I have a nice Canare cable which uses the jacks from a Sennheiser H-83380 replacement cable. The jack housings are notched just like the 700 jacks. For $13.40 it is hard to beat and it works great.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/547685-REG/Sennheiser_083380_H_83380_Replacement_Cable.html

Feb 14, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #5,868 of 9,329
He-400S cable works with the 700's also. Mine did till I broke the tip on the right side connector : ( I was going to make a balanced cable but that will have to wait till I get more connectors to fix this one now.

Feb 14, 2016 at 7:27 PM Post #5,869 of 9,329

Thanks.  So it's only the genuine HD212 cable that fits and not necessarily the 3rd party ones?  I may still try modding that eBay cable.. hacking something to pieces is easier than creating it from scratch. 
tongue.gif

Genuine HD212 cable will not fit, it needs to have the notch/flat area on the plug which fits inside the HD-700 to give a more secure connection.  If you look close at the picture I have above the top two have a flat spot on the barrel of the plug which lines up with a flat spot in the female connector of the HD-700.  Look at the original cables, they should have a flat spot on the barrel that you need to align so that they insert correctly.

He-400S cable works with the 700's also. Mine did till I broke the tip on the right side connector : ( I was going to make a balanced cable but that will have to wait till I get more connectors to fix this one now.

Do the HE-400S cables have a notch/flat are on them?  if they don't then they probably not go completely in.

Feb 14, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #5,870 of 9,329
Quote:
  Genuine HD212 cable will not fit, it needs to have the notch/flat area on the plug which fits inside the HD-700 to give a more secure connection.  If you look close at the picture I have above the top two have a flat spot on the barrel of the plug which lines up with a flat spot in the female connector of the HD-700.  Look at the original cables, they should have a flat spot on the barrel that you need to align so that they insert correctly.

Do the HE-400S cables have a notch/flat are on them?  if they don't then they probably not go completely in.

*scratches head*.  I'm just looking through this thread (the end of page 115 and start of 116, for example) and it seems like people have gotten them to work.  I'm sure I'm being dense but can so many reports of them fitting be wrong?  I see the flat area but maybe the jacks on some cables are small/long enough to fit without getting blocked? 
confused.gif

@gibosi If you're sure the H-83380 cable has the correct jacks then I'll grab one of those.

Feb 14, 2016 at 8:04 PM Post #5,871 of 9,329

They work just fine without the notch. I used them to listen to the QP1R on the 700's.

Feb 14, 2016 at 8:16 PM Post #5,872 of 9,329
  Quote:

*scratches head*.  I'm just looking through this thread (the end of page 115 and start of 116, for example) and it seems like people have gotten them to work.  I'm sure I'm being dense but can so many reports of them fitting be wrong?  I see the flat area but maybe the jacks on some cables are small/long enough to fit without getting blocked? 
confused.gif

@gibosi If you're sure the H-83380 cable has the correct jacks then I'll grab one of those.

I when and looked at those post and look for HD-212 cables, it looks like the plug is long enough to lock in but you are giving up the strength of the notch/flat area that the normal HD-700 plug has.  So I would say buyer beware, it may or not work and don't know if it would have long term effects on the plugs.  See picture below to see what I think is happening:

Yes the plug will fit and transmit the signal but it is not fully inserted and therefor a weaker connection that may wear over time, reason they make the notch to give a stronger joint interface.

Feb 14, 2016 at 8:36 PM Post #5,873 of 9,329

If you look closely at the picture of the Sennheiser H-83380 replacement cable available from B&H that I posted above, you can see the plastic/vinyl housings for the jacks are notched to ensure a snug fit in the 700. I have been using a custom-made Canare cable with these connectors for over a year and they have never come loose.

Feb 14, 2016 at 8:45 PM Post #5,874 of 9,329

If you look closely at the picture of the Sennheiser H-83380 replacement cable available from B&H that I posted above, you can see the plastic/vinyl housings for the jacks are notched to ensure a snug fit in the 700. I have been using a custom-made Canare cable with these connectors for over a year and they have never come loose.

these look like they will work but I didn't see any made of aluminum or brass, only plastic.

@Hammy, if you are looking on ebay there are cables made specifically for the HD-700 for about the same price as the HD-212, not sure why you are trying to find a substitute cable?  Am I missing something?

Feb 14, 2016 at 9:22 PM Post #5,876 of 9,329
  Guys the notch is not necessary, they just need an extended design like this. 

Using the same connectors.They work just fine on the 700's.

Feb 14, 2016 at 9:23 PM Post #5,877 of 9,329
  these look like they will work but I didn't see any made of aluminum or brass, only plastic.

@Hammy, if you are looking on ebay there are cables made specifically for the HD-700 for about the same price as the HD-212, not sure why you are trying to find a substitute cable?  Am I missing something?

The problem with the cheaper HD700 cables from eBay is the bottom half is microphonic.  I have one for the HD598 which I never used because of the cloth material those  sellers use.  Your drawing above illustrated why the notches are important, if not strictly necessary.

I'm trying to make friends with Mr Bojanky but if things don't work out..

Feb 14, 2016 at 10:27 PM Post #5,878 of 9,329

The problem with the cheaper HD700 cables from eBay is the bottom half is microphonic.  I have one for the HD598 which I never used because of the cloth material those  sellers use.  Your drawing above illustrated why the notches are important, if not strictly necessary.

I'm trying to make friends with Mr Bojanky but if things don't work out..

I think I got those same ones for the HD-598.  Okay, I understand the why, I could build you one but I think the shipping would kill you in cost.  One of the ebay sellers that I've gotten a few cables from before makes some pretty good ones: Venus Audio, I don't know if they ship to your area but he uses mogami and canare cables which is what I use, very durable and depending on the size (24/26/28 gauge), light as well.  The stock cable uses 30 gauge wire so even the 28 would be a slight improvement without the cloth wrapping that causes the kinking.

Let me check with a few friends who gotten those cheap cables for the HD-600/650 to see if they are microphonic, I don't think they are but I could be wrong.

Feb 14, 2016 at 11:18 PM Post #5,879 of 9,329
@Hammy, my old girlfriend in Korea sent me these pictures of her HD-700 cable, it looks like those sold on ebay, about $42US if I converted correctly.  She says that its has very little microphonics to her, but if you hit the cable on a desk or chair then it will transmit noise.  She did say that the cable I built for her HE-400 is much better to give me a better idea of quality.

Based on this I think you should consider the H-83880 if cost is a problem, if not then you have a wide range to chose from.

Using the same connectors.They work just fine on the 700's.

Nice cables but I think the reason for the substitute was due to cost, those extended connectors look like they would cost more that the entire cable that he was considering.

@PETEREK, you do some of the nicest work out there and thanks for sharing
beerchug.gif

Feb 14, 2016 at 11:52 PM Post #5,880 of 9,329
  @Hammy, my old girlfriend in Korea sent me these pictures of her HD-700 cable, it looks like those sold on ebay, about $42US if I converted correctly.  She says that its has very little microphonics to her, but if you hit the cable on a desk or chair then it will transmit noise.  She did say that the cable I built for her HE-400 is much better to give me a better idea of quality.

Based on this I think you should consider the H-83880 if cost is a problem, if not then you have a wide range to chose from.

Nice cables but I think the reason for the substitute was due to cost, those extended connectors look like they would cost more that the entire cable that he was considering.

@PETEREK, you do some of the nicest work out there and thanks for sharing
beerchug.gif

The connectors are about $27 USD shipped from Norne. I just bought a black pair for $24 shipped. Not sure why black ones are cheaper than the silver ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back