Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Feb 12, 2016 at 8:20 AM Post #5,836 of 9,329
  No bag with mine either.  Were the cables plugged in to the headphone? Mine were wrapped up in a plastic that looks like yours but not connected.

No, the cable was not connected.  There were actually two seperate bags - one for the headphone and one for the cable.  It really smells of refurb/open-box to me, but I'm willing to let it go if I can find just one person who's had them in a baggy too.

After reading your post more carefully, I see that the bag around the headphones is not sealable but is just plain plastic.  The bag around the cable is a sandwich/freezer bag that can be snapped closed.  Anyway, sent an e-mail off to Sennheiser to see what their opinion on the matter is.

It would be interesting to hear about the packaging from any of the guys who bought refurbs from the Sennheiser store.  Really looking forward to plugging these in tonight after my little girl goes to bed.

Feb 12, 2016 at 9:15 AM Post #5,837 of 9,329
  So mine have just arrived and upon opening the shipping container I noticed the first layer of Sennheiser box has its flap hanging open.  No big deal, could have happened in shipping but.. could someone tell me if their (brand new) HD700 came wrapped in a transparent plastic bag inside the hard case?  All the unboxing videos I've seen don't have this.

EDIT: Pic related.  My partner is saying I am mad because I noticed the open flap, scratch on top of the hard container, and the strange plastic wrapping.  She's probably right.  On closer inspection, it also seems they have been placed backwards in the box, unless they change up which way they go.

(Just got home).

This exactly how my 700s looked when they arrived. The box wasn't sealed (it didn't have any opened seal or stains that would suggest seals had been removed, if you know what l mean). Cables were not plugged.

l totally understand you, and l think l'm like you when it comes to inspecting if a brand new product is indeed 'brand new'. lt is the very first thing l do after l receive anything l buy: check if it's brand new or only 'sort of new' and previously unboxed/used by someone else. Nothing kills me more than that. l pay new= l want new. Once l know it's truly new, l let myself get excited and enjoy.

What happened to you would make me suspicious, to be honest. My advice: if you don't believe the product is brand new, send it back. Otherwise, chances are you may always have 'that' in the back of your head.

Now, there is the possibility that packing varies in different regions... lf l were you l'd look inside the earpads: if you see anything that could come from use (even sometimes one single use), then return them if you can. 

ln any case, l hope you enjoy them!

Feb 12, 2016 at 12:31 PM Post #5,838 of 9,329
Mine looked like the pic above, with the cord detached and coiled.  No bag.

And my box was not sealed, which initially gave me pause, but also had no evidence of ever having been sealed. 

Feb 12, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #5,839 of 9,329
@IYAshike We definitely think along the same lines.  If I buy a new product I also expect it to be brand new.  I examined the headphones very carefully and they look perfect with no signs of use.  I also ran some sweeps with SineGen and they are well balanced.  If we didn't have the internets then I wouldn't think anything about them being wrapped in plastic because they appear brand new, so I'll comment further when I receive a reply from Sennheiser - not contacting Amazon about it at the moment.

@Matro5 It's rather strange that they decided not to have some sort of anti-tamper system on these boxes.  I am pretty sure my flap came loose during shipping, but no idea regarding the baggy.  Extra protection, yay.

I've now been wearing them for 30 minutes.  The comfort cannot be over-exaggerated.  I also have no words to describe what I'm hearing, but my face looks something like this:

Feb 12, 2016 at 8:56 PM Post #5,840 of 9,329
Hey, i bought a refurb direct from the Sennheiser UK online store some time ago. My headphones exactly as IYAshike posted - no plastic bag, coiled detached cable, and no signs of cosmetic wear (not even light scratc
hes anywhere).

Still rly happy with my purchase. In fact, I have them on right now :p

Feb 12, 2016 at 11:09 PM Post #5,841 of 9,329
  Mine looked like the pic above, with the cord detached and coiled.  No bag.

And my box was not sealed, which initially gave me pause, but also had no evidence of ever having been sealed. 

Yeah, mine was like that also. I was also concerned by the fact that they were not sealed. The reason was that It meant that the authenticity code on the box meant nothing at that point, because a counterfeiter could simply put a new pair in there. Now that is not to say that the serial is not SOMEWHERE on the phones, but not in an obvious place to see easily.

BTW, I paid $750 for them just a little less than a year ago. That was the best I could find them for (new) back then. They were still selling for $1k on some sites. Three months later, I saw them on the very same site I bought them from for $600 (regular price). I was kind of mad, but also thought to myself, I really thought they were worth every penny I spent regardless.

Until I get a chance to get some different cabling (or make my own), this is the way I have mine (to make them somewhat portable). The device in the picture btw, is FiiO X5 (gen1): 

The FiiO E17K comes with a bag, but it somewhat limited (I think it was meant more for storage, and not for using the device). This bag is just the right size for the excess cabling to make it long enough to be somewhat portable. This is what you see here. It is actually just a smidge smaller than having amp and DAP stacked.

So, I CAN use these as portable (granted I have sweat pants or something that has baggy pockets in them on) to a point. Though, I won't claim that you can really do any sort of exercises with them on... It just really allows me to not have to be glued in front of my pc or tv... Plus, at that length, they do NOT kink at all. It is almost exactly the length needed to go from my head to my pocket, plus a tiny bit spare for head turning purposes hehe.

Edit: Oh, and I also bought a 12" adaptor with the smaller diameter wire to alleviate any stress on the hp jack that comes with the huge diameter wire being attached so closely to the device. To my ears it hasn't really changed the sound at all. Something like http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MHE100.5?adpos=1o4&creative=54989267161&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=CjwKEAiAova1BRDS15OXjcug_FMSJACWNAKZ75uPfk_vQTR-2NfnKntECdLrApE47OWyS3Oh203NiRoCvzXw_wcB  (but longer).

Feb 13, 2016 at 2:09 AM Post #5,842 of 9,329
@samandhi building a cable for the HD-700 is one of the easiest, the connectors are fairly cheap and easy to work with and 3.5mm TRS connectors are available everywhere, I like the Double Helix 3.5mm TRS connectors, sturdy and easy to work with and they have a step down ring so they fit on phones and DAPs when you a case on.

Feb 13, 2016 at 7:18 AM Post #5,843 of 9,329
@samandhi
 building a cable for the HD-700 is one of the easiest, the connectors are fairly cheap and easy to work with and 3.5mm TRS connectors are available everywhere, I like the Double Helix 3.5mm TRS connectors, sturdy and easy to work with and they have a step down ring so they fit on phones and DAPs when you a case on.

While I have some electrical experience. I don't really know the pin-out for, and how the wires are connected to the adaptors etc... Perhaps you might know of some pictures, and/or schematics specific to the type of wiring and soldering specific to these cables , that might be useful to me.

Great thought with the double helix.

Feb 13, 2016 at 7:52 AM Post #5,844 of 9,329
While I have some electrical experience. I don't really know the pin-out for, and how the wires are connected to the adaptors etc... Perhaps you might know of some pictures, and/or schematics specific to the type of wiring and soldering specific to these cables , that might be useful to me.

Wish I knew which end of a soldering iron gets hot.  Mr Bojanky almost strangled me in the night.

Feb 13, 2016 at 10:49 AM Post #5,845 of 9,329

Hope this helps:

Feb 13, 2016 at 10:59 AM Post #5,846 of 9,329

Wish I knew which end of a soldering iron gets hot.  Mr Bojanky almost strangled me in the night.

This reminds me of when I first started working and went out to my first pavement job and the inspector asked me how to tell if the contractor is laying the asphalt pavement correctly, I said all these technical items in reply, the inspector said its really simple, make sure the black side is up.

Feb 13, 2016 at 1:39 PM Post #5,847 of 9,329
So I returned my first 700 because it sounds a little veiled to me although using silver Interconnect seems to solve the problem. Now, I got another one and this one sounds spot on!
Loving it.

Feb 13, 2016 at 1:44 PM Post #5,848 of 9,329
for those with HD 700's...

my budget is $500 for a new set of cans. I already have a set of 650's and a few sets of lower impedance IEMs and HPs. Would a new set of 700's (cost $450) or a similarly priced set of planars in the same price range be a more wise use of my funds.

my listening criteria is pretty simple... soundstage is important as well a natural sound. My current rig is a Ragnarok and Gungnir (Yggy later this year) combo running from my pc through optical s/pidf.

I do realize I should be looking more in the $1000 and up price range, but I want to start expanding my collection and right now I am only able to squeeze $500 (saving for Yggy takes time) out of my budget. so... I would appreciate any info from 700 owners who have planars also.

btw... if I didn't mention this earlier I am a Schiit head through and through (just ask my kids)

Feb 13, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #5,849 of 9,329
  for those with HD 700's...

my budget is $500 for a new set of cans. I already have a set of 650's and a few sets of lower impedance IEMs and HPs. Would a new set of 700's (cost $450) or a similarly priced set of planars in the same price range be a more wise use of my funds.

my listening criteria is pretty simple... soundstage is important as well a natural sound. My current rig is a Ragnarok and Gungnir (Yggy later this year) combo running from my pc through optical s/pidf.

I do realize I should be looking more in the $1000 and up price range, but I want to start expanding my collection and right now I am only able to squeeze $500 (saving for Yggy takes time) out of my budget. so... I would appreciate any info from 700 owners who have planars also.

btw... if I didn't mention this earlier I am a Schiit head through and through (just ask my kids)

Your going to have to spend more to get the soundstage of the 700's out of most Planars in that price range. I have HE-400, 400S, Alpha Dogs and Ether-C's. The Ether C's is really close but the rest not so much. They all have things about them that I like. I love the planar sound. I also dig the 700's also but I tend to go for the C's more often. If you are wanting to expand your collection I would go for a Planar just to be different. This is by no way a slight to the 700's as I will not get rid of them anytime soon. I have been saving up for a Gumby myself(Yggy just a little too much right now) and have my HE-400's for sell. If you wanted to get in to planars for cheap I could cut you a deal if your interested. They are a fun headphone that I almost hate to let go of but all good things must get out of the way for new gear ; ).  Just PM me if you are interested. 

Feb 13, 2016 at 4:29 PM Post #5,850 of 9,329
  Your going to have to spend more to get the soundstage of the 700's out of most Planars in that price range. I have HE-400, 400S, Alpha Dogs and Ether-C's. The Ether C's is really close but the rest not so much. They all have things about them that I like. I love the planar sound. I also dig the 700's also but I tend to go for the C's more often. If you are wanting to expand your collection I would go for a Planar just to be different. This is by no way a slight to the 700's as I will not get rid of them anytime soon. I have been saving up for a Gumby myself(Yggy just a little too much right now) and have my HE-400's for sell. If you wanted to get in to planars for cheap I could cut you a deal if your interested. They are a fun headphone that I almost hate to let go of but all good things must get out of the way for new gear ; ).  Just PM me if you are interested. 

I figured that I would need to up the budget for a decent set of planars. I have read lots of good reviews regarding ethers, so perhaps I will have two envelopes to stuff now. thanks for the info I will keep your offer in mind if I hit any road blocks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back