Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Nov 11, 2016 at 5:35 PM Post #7,007 of 9,329
  I always laugh when I read a post that says there must be some kind of defect with a given headphone/DAC/Amp due to that piece of equipment having a sound signature they do not like or is different than they expect.

Because you do not like the sound of a given piece of audio equipment does not mean there is something wrong with it.  It just means you do not like that sound signature.

I do not like the taste of broccoli.  That does not mean there is something wrong with the broccoli.  Just means I do not like it.

Audio is all about preference and with the HD700 more than most...

Yeah, the 700 isn't a bass monster. I wouldn't call it bright/neutral, but that treble spike can be jarring for anyone not in the mood for it. 

Nov 11, 2016 at 5:58 PM Post #7,008 of 9,329
Yeah, the 700 isn't a bass monster. I wouldn't call it bright/neutral, but that treble spike can be jarring for anyone not in the mood for it. 
Not a bass monster yes but listening to deadmau5 from my Kenzie it thumps fairly well with a little elevated volume that is. Just for kicks ; )

Nov 11, 2016 at 11:13 PM Post #7,012 of 9,329
Not a bass monster yes but listening to deadmau5 from my Kenzie it thumps fairly well with a little elevated volume that is. Just for kicks ; )

Oh don't get me wrong, I listen to every genre that people tell me is "wrong" with the HD700s haha.

My library is all bass-heavy rap and heavy metal, but damn if they don't make it engaging.

Nov 14, 2016 at 11:35 PM Post #7,015 of 9,329
guys i have modi 2 + magni 2 but for some reason magni 2 stopped working and i contact schiit they told i have to pay for the shipping and since i don't live in the US the shipping will cost me more than the price of a new one 

i was thinking of getting O2 since all i need is an amp my modi 2 is working well 

what do you think about the O2 

am i gonna notice a diffrence between it and the magni 2 ?

cause it will cost me more than double the price of the magni 2 

Nov 15, 2016 at 12:18 AM Post #7,016 of 9,329
  guys i have modi 2 + magni 2 but for some reason magni 2 stopped working and i contact schiit they told i have to pay for the shipping and since i don't live in the US the shipping will cost me more than the price of a new one 

i was thinking of getting O2 since all i need is an amp my modi 2 is working well 

Maybe you can take your Magni 2 to someone with a little bit of technical knowledge where you live.
The problem could be something extremely simple to solve.

Nov 15, 2016 at 1:06 AM Post #7,017 of 9,329

With a bit of EQing, HD700s sound pretty good to me from an O2. The source is a Fiio X3ii.
Lots of details, large soundstage and tight bass.

Nov 15, 2016 at 1:50 AM Post #7,018 of 9,329

Never tried the Magni2 but the original Magni was just an ok amp IMO, a little on the brighter side.  I had the 02/ODAC combo, to me it was over rated and didn't pair very well with most of the headphones that I used with it.  As the other poster noted if you use EQ it might help but since I don't use any EQ the O2 with the HD-700 was quite harsh and sibilant to my GF and I.  I think most that have the HD-700 like a tube amp so maybe a Vali2 might be a better choice for the HD-700 or since you are not in the usa look into amps from where you are located, might be cheaper and hopefully you will be able to get warranty service eaiser.

Nov 15, 2016 at 7:51 AM Post #7,019 of 9,329
O2 and Magni are practically the same thing: line in, line out. Get whichever's cheaper IMO if you like the SS sound. If not, loads of tube amps to pick.

Nov 20, 2016 at 1:06 AM Post #7,020 of 9,329
How flat are the 700s? Really close to pulling the trigger, but they would mainly be used for mastering and mixing. Don't want heavy coloration

Users who are viewing this thread

Back