Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
May 21, 2016 at 6:25 AM Post #6,331 of 9,298
Did you get a completely new pair of headphones when you only needed to change the headband pad? And did you contact Sennheiser directly? Don't suppose you have a link?

I got a completely new pair through my dealer, the colour is not only slightly darker but the box is different, old one had silver sennheiser printed on the it but this one has a sennheiser logo in matt black in the centre of the top.
after a couple of days listening I think they sound the same.

May 21, 2016 at 6:29 AM Post #6,332 of 9,298
As far as pad on headband goes I didn't ever get it off! I ruined the look of the buttons as they are soft and even using soft wooden sticks marked them up pretty bad.
The pad replacements are cheap at around £7 ($10) , they may come with instructions, I hope sobas Sennheiser customer support didn't know how to release the pad!

May 23, 2016 at 12:03 PM Post #6,333 of 9,298
  Rocking some Pink Floyd, The Wall.  Sounds Amazing. Track: One of my Turns the Detail is crazy the door sounds super realistic slamming in the left ear, and the girl speaking and walking around the room is very obvious "Wanna take a bath"

The Drums are clear and articulate with each tom occupying its own space

Very nice.......................next up will have to be Neil Peart & Rush 
biggrin.gif

Good idea! While most of their albums sound great through the HD700s, (track 1) 2112: Overture/etc.../etc... off of the 2112 album, sounds FANTASTIC through these headphones. Also, though it is not my absolute favorite music, Fleetwood Mac (The Very Best Of Fleetwood Mac), is recorded VERY well, and also sounds fantastic. As do all the demo tracks from the Lynyrd Skynyrd box set. This one is not recorded quite as well, but with the detail retrieval of the HD700s you can hear everything. You just have get through the hiss of the actual recordings. Parts of those demos sound like binaural recordings in the HD700s. 

May 26, 2016 at 9:54 AM Post #6,334 of 9,298
Just curious if any long term HD700 users have noticed that the phones may have actually mellowed out or have become warmer in nature over the years.
Only reason I ask is that I’ve just recently added a pair of HD800S’ to the roster..

and as where I found the original 800s somewhat similar but more analytical (clinical?) to the HD700s, the 700s now sound even much warmer than the “800S”s ????….

...which I do find with their slightly increased base and smoother treble are more user friendly (warmer/neutral?) than its predecessor.

May just all be psycho-acoustic…so just checking...... but I honestly feel I hear a much bigger difference between the 700s and the new 800S’ that I’m inclined to hold onto my 700s which IMHO still sound great.
wink.gif

May 26, 2016 at 10:41 AM Post #6,335 of 9,298
I've had mine for just about 2 years and my GF has had hers for 3.5 years, both sound the same so I don't think the sound has changed / mellowed over the years but maybe it has changed but so slowly that we can't notice it. 

When I tried the HD-800S a few months ago it didn't sound warmer than the HD-700 but then the listening conditions were not great and I didn't do a direct comparison with the HD-700 at that time so....

May 26, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #6,336 of 9,298
Our ears do play tricks on us
blink.gif
and aural memory is a dangerous thing .. but before getting the 800S’ I was more inclined to chill out with the LCD-2.2s and use the HD700s for critical listening and movies……now in comparison the Audeze now sound bloated and maybe over done in the base (again only in comparison as I still like the LCD2.2s)…..the new 800S’are now a more enjoyable listen being a touch less analytical than its older sibling  and the overall tonal character appears more natural, details are still there in abundance , stage width and distinctive instrumental layering allow the ears to explore the soundscape, the 700s now sit somewhere in between and will now get more usage to chill out with.

May 26, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #6,337 of 9,298
  Our ears do play tricks on us
blink.gif
and aural memory is a dangerous thing .. but before getting the 800S’ I was more inclined to chill out with the LCD-2.2s and use the HD700s for critical listening and movies……now in comparison the Audeze now sound bloated and maybe over done in the base (again only in comparison as I still like the LCD2.2s)…..the new 800S’are now a more enjoyable listen being a touch less analytical than its older sibling  and the overall tonal character appears more natural, details are still there in abundance , stage width and distinctive instrumental layering allow the ears to explore the soundscape, the 700s now sit somewhere in between and will now get more usage to chill out with.

I could never chill out with my LCD-2, its just a bit too heavy.  I also don't find them bloated but then mine are Fazors.

Agree that aural / audio memory is not that great and can fool me at times.

May 26, 2016 at 4:19 PM Post #6,338 of 9,298
  I could never chill out with my LCD-2, its just a bit too heavy.  I also don't find them bloated but then mine are Fazors.

Agree that aural / audio memory is not that great and can fool me at times.

Chilling out for me is reclining, laid out horizontally on the sofa with my feet up so the LCD-2.2 actually get supported while my head rests back on a cushion and they become sort of like the lazy boy of headphones.
biggrin.gif

No...love the base on the Audeze...should have said "almost"

May 26, 2016 at 5:09 PM Post #6,339 of 9,298

Chilling out for me is reclining, laid out horizontally on the sofa with my feet up so the LCD-2.2 actually get supported while my head rests back on a cushion and they become sort of like the lazy boy of headphones.
biggrin.gif

No...love the base on the Audeze...should have said "almost"

I can see how laying down and having a cushion support the LCD-2 would be most relaxing, this I can really agree with
biggrin.gif

May 26, 2016 at 9:17 PM Post #6,340 of 9,298

...which I do find with their slightly increased base and smoother treble are more user friendly (warmer/neutral?) than its predecessor.

I so want that setup, right there: HD800S + Bryston Head Amp. Congrats!

May 27, 2016 at 4:26 AM Post #6,341 of 9,298
I just picked up a pair... I don't hear anything negative with these?!? I think complaints might come from those listening without running them through an amp?

May 27, 2016 at 5:42 AM Post #6,343 of 9,298
I just picked up a pair... I don't hear anything negative with these?!? I think complaints might come from those listening without running them through an amp?

They are great headphones, especially now since the price on them has dropped a lot from the original $1000 they were released at.

The biggest complaint that people have is the treble, and while it doesn't bother me, when you compare it to a more accurate headphone, you can tell that it's a little bit off.  The way I've shown this to people has usually been with female vocals, especially tracks with a lot of "s" sounds.  My two over-ear headphones are my HD 700's and my LCD-X's.  The HD 700's will make these sounds stand out a little bit, but not too much (if you had never heard something more accurate, you might not even notice), where as the LCD-X will sound more natural.  That said, it's worth noting that LCD-X's cost A LOT more, so they should be better.

May 27, 2016 at 6:36 AM Post #6,344 of 9,298

Well DJ welcome to head-fi and the 700 club, I've had my 700s for a few years and even compared to my other phones...they my be different but still nothing to complain about. 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back