Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Oct 19, 2015 at 5:50 AM Post #5,341 of 9,298
  I know this has probably been covered in the past, but I thought I'd ask again just to see what current opinions are.

I've had my 700s for a few weeks now, after some proper burn-in they sound amazing.  I think much of it is psychological, however at least the first few hours really opens them up.  I have no regrets at all.  Been driving them straight out of my MBP and iPhone for now, because I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to drive them with.

I've been looking heavily at the Oppo HA-2, as it seems many say it performs like a far more expensive amp/DAC.  It seems to have enough power for the 700s, but not 100% on that.  As far as I can tell, the DAC section is about as good as it gets at that price point.  I'm mostly worried about the amp...strong enough to drive the 700s with authority and to maintain driver control all the way down to 20 Hz?  I listen to a lot of electronic music, so I need something that's going to keep them fun and impactful without robbing them of detail. Basically, I need power and accuracy.  Will the HA--2 give me this?  Anyone have decent experience driving 700s with this unit?

Thanks in advance. 

Or how about an ifi nano iDSD. It is very good and very compact and will deal with any format of download now and in the future? I use the slightly bigger ifi micro with my HD700s and am listening to this much more than my main system as its so easy to use and the quality is so good.

Oct 21, 2015 at 1:35 PM Post #5,342 of 9,298
Took a look at it...looks like a decent unit.  However I'd be lying if I didn't say the form factor of the HA-2 was one of the many reasons I'm drawn to it.  I don't like using a case on my phone all the time, and I have a 6+ so I'd like to be able to slid both into a pocket and keep both scratch-free.  The thinness of the HA-2 + the iPhone combined with the leather cover on the HA-2 seems to be ideal for this when used portably.  

Oct 23, 2015 at 1:43 AM Post #5,343 of 9,298

I know this has probably been covered in the past, but I thought I'd ask again just to see what current opinions are.

I've had my 700s for a few weeks now, after some proper burn-in they sound amazing.  I think much of it is psychological, however at least the first few hours really opens them up.  I have no regrets at all.  Been driving them straight out of my MBP and iPhone for now, because I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to drive them with.

I've been looking heavily at the Oppo HA-2, as it seems many say it performs like a far more expensive amp/DAC.  It seems to have enough power for the 700s, but not 100% on that.  As far as I can tell, the DAC section is about as good as it gets at that price point.  I'm mostly worried about the amp...strong enough to drive the 700s with authority and to maintain driver control all the way down to 20 Hz?  I listen to a lot of electronic music, so I need something that's going to keep them fun and impactful without robbing them of detail. Basically, I need power and accuracy.  Will the HA--2 give me this?  Anyone have decent experience driving 700s with this unit?

Thanks in advance. 

Or how about an ifi nano iDSD. It is very good and very compact and will deal with any format of download now and in the future? I use the slightly bigger ifi micro with my HD700s and am listening to this much more than my main system as its so easy to use and the quality is so good.

I've been using an iFi iDSD Micro with my HD700s as well, and am very pleased with it. For home use, I'm using the DAC from the iDSD into a Teac HA-501.

A few pages back in this thread, I'd promised to give a report on the HA-501, as I had one on order, so this is a start, anyway. I also got the iDSD, mainly as a DAC upgrade, to use with the HA-501, but it makes for a nice semi-portable setup by itself, as well, with it's built-in amp. In my experience, anyway, adding the HA-501 added some meaty-ness, spaciousness, smoothness, and musicality to the sound. I'm very happy with the overall system.

Oct 28, 2015 at 7:26 PM Post #5,344 of 9,298
Could someone kindly post their equalizer settings that they use with the HD700? I just bought Boom 2 for OS X (system-wide EQ) and I'd like to know what others find optimal for the HD700. Possible entries in Boom 2:

32 - 
63 - 
125 - 
250 - 
500 - 
1000 - 
2000 - 
4000 - 
8000 - 
16000 - 

Nov 1, 2015 at 8:37 AM Post #5,346 of 9,298
I was never a believer of cables, unicorn dust and etc. In all honesty I know it contributes but didn't figure how much. So I was buying some stuff from Shenzhen audio, so I thought I take a punt zy cables 3.5 MM. Malaysia to male for dragon fly to c5 to had 700. Man it was a lot of difference, the transparency and clarity was amazing. I wasnt exactly using cheapo wires before this. Would I bad upgrading my cables....... Nah I'll be buying other stuff 1st.

http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Silver-Stereo-CANARE-ZY-009/dp/B00A2QJROM

Nov 1, 2015 at 1:00 PM Post #5,347 of 9,298
Has anyone tried Takato's most recent HD700 mods?

It seems to me that the earpad mod and the foam backwave-damping mod are primarily aimed at modifying the bass response. Evidently, Takato wants to eliminate any hint of warmth. But I rather like the bass on the HD700 and prefer it to that of the HD800. Also, it is not clear to me that the pleather surfaces on the earpads have anything to do with the treble peaks? And very frankly, I am not quite ready to cut up my earpads. lol. So I decided to skip those mods, at least for now...

On the other hand, the filter-paper mod, which is intended to attenuate the highs, is incredibly easy, cheap and completely reversible, so decided to go for it. It's been only a couple days, but I really like what I am hearing. To my ears, it has largely eliminated the edginess. The treble is smoothed out and the midrange is correspondingly slightly enhanced, so I am a happy camper. This is a big win for me. :)

Nov 2, 2015 at 11:12 PM Post #5,348 of 9,298
New cables (Moon Audio Black Dragon V2) and new tubes (see signature).

Best sound I've ever heard from the HD-700 (I am crediting the tube combo, but I won't miss the kinking cable hilarity).

Nov 3, 2015 at 1:23 AM Post #5,349 of 9,298
Has anyone here heard the 700s out of the Chord Mojo?  Right now, that looks very appealing and based on what I've read, sounds like it would pair up nicely with these. 

Nov 4, 2015 at 9:22 AM Post #5,350 of 9,298
Using hd700 with ha-2
Using the 1/4 to 1/8 converter for the jack? Wouldnt it be too big?

h
Took a look at it...looks like a decent unit.  However I'd be lying if I didn't say the form factor of the HA-2 was one of the many reasons I'm drawn to it.  I don't like using a case on my phone all the time, and I have a 6+ so I'd like to be able to slid both into a pocket and keep both scratch-free.  The thinness of the HA-2 + the iPhone combined with the leather cover on the HA-2 seems to be ideal for this when used portably.  

Nov 6, 2015 at 1:20 AM Post #5,351 of 9,298
Using hd700 with ha-2
Using the 1/4 to 1/8 converter for the jack? Wouldnt it be too big?

h

I use a Grado 1/4 to 1/8 adapter cable when using my HD700's with portable devices and it works well.

Nov 6, 2015 at 8:52 AM Post #5,352 of 9,298
  Has anyone tried Takato's most recent HD700 mods?

It seems to me that the earpad mod and the foam backwave-damping mod are primarily aimed at modifying the bass response. Evidently, Takato wants to eliminate any hint of warmth. But I rather like the bass on the HD700 and prefer it to that of the HD800. Also, it is not clear to me that the pleather surfaces on the earpads have anything to do with the treble peaks? And very frankly, I am not quite ready to cut up my earpads. lol. So I decided to skip those mods, at least for now...

On the other hand, the filter-paper mod, which is intended to attenuate the highs, is incredibly easy, cheap and completely reversible, so decided to go for it. It's been only a couple days, but I really like what I am hearing. To my ears, it has largely eliminated the edginess. The treble is smoothed out and the midrange is correspondingly slightly enhanced, so I am a happy camper. This is a big win for me. :)

No, where are the details to be found please? Mind you I don't really have any issue with them but if there is a way to squeeze a little more from them for almost no effort or expense............ 

Nov 6, 2015 at 1:09 PM Post #5,355 of 9,298
Hey Guys, 

Have a big problem here ^^

Im actually looking for a new audiophile Headphone around the 500 Dollars Price Class. 
Ive tested Beyerdynamic 880 Dt 250 Ohms, Beyerdynamic T90, HD 598,600,650 and HD 700. 
I could get the HD 700 New for 500 Dollars and the Hifiman 400i also New for 500 Dollars. 
I already hearded the HD 700 and really liked it alot. What do u guys think ? Should i take them ore the Hifiman 400i ?
Another Option would be Audeze EL 8 Closed Back. Could get them for 650 Dollars. I prefer HD 700 because of the nice Build quality and overall Feeling. Hifiman Support is very bad in Germany so that would be also a plus point for Sennheiser HD 700. 

What do u mean. Is the Hifiman HE 400i much better then HD 700 ? 
Do u think is a good Headphone for the future ?

Cheers Luca

Users who are viewing this thread

Back