Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Nov 6, 2015 at 9:33 PM Post #5,356 of 9,326
I have a pair of LCD-X's and a pair of LCD-XC's home on loan from work right now, so I've been spending a lot of time comparing them (mainly the open model) to my HD 700's.  From the bit of comparing I've done so far, the first thing I noticed was the bass.  The bass on the HD 700's is very good, but the LCD-X does step it up a little bit.  It hits lower frequencies with more ease, and bass notes are a bit more defined.  It's worth noting at this point that the LCD-X's costs triple what the HD 700's cost (street price), so I would expect it to perform a bit better.  Now, the hot topic, the treble.  Yes, the LCD-X is a bit better, but I am in no way bothered by the HD 700's treble.  The easiest way for me to hear the improvement is to put on something with female vocals.  For example, I was listening to Björk's "Pagan Poetry," and if I focused on her vocals, I could hear a difference between the way "S" sounds sounded.  They do sound a little unnatural in the HD 700's if you pay close attention, but by no means bad.  The same syllable when using the LCD-X sounds more smooth and natural.

Again, the LCD-X costs triple what the HD 700 costs, so I expected it to perform better.  Now after analyzing the treble so closely, I still do not by any means mind my HD 700's.  They are great headphones, and I do not regret buying them one bit.  Even if I were to eventually get a pair of LCD-X's, I'd still use my HD 700's for pretty much everything other than music.  Those LCD's just get too heavy after a while.  There's no reason to deal with the extra weight when not listening to something that justifies the boost in quality.

For reference, my main amp is a Woo Audio WA7 with the solid state power supply and stock tubes (I plan to upgrade soon), and my second amp is a Grace Design m920 (which is my primary DAC).

Nov 7, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #5,357 of 9,326
  Hey Guys, 

Have a big problem here ^^

Im actually looking for a new audiophile Headphone around the 500 Dollars Price Class. 
Ive tested Beyerdynamic 880 Dt 250 Ohms, Beyerdynamic T90, HD 598,600,650 and HD 700. 
I could get the HD 700 New for 500 Dollars and the Hifiman 400i also New for 500 Dollars. 
I already hearded the HD 700 and really liked it alot. What do u guys think ? Should i take them ore the Hifiman 400i ?
Another Option would be Audeze EL 8 Closed Back. Could get them for 650 Dollars. I prefer HD 700 because of the nice Build quality and overall Feeling. Hifiman Support is very bad in Germany so that would be also a plus point for Sennheiser HD 700. 

What do u mean. Is the Hifiman HE 400i much better then HD 700 ? 
Do u think is a good Headphone for the future ?

Cheers Luca

Welcome to Head-Fi and sorry about your wallet.

You didn't really tell us what sort of music you like to listen to, but think you've already answered your own question. If you've tested auditioned the above headphones and are still considering the HD-700, I would say 'Go'. They are a nice all-around 'phone, IMO, and at $500 US new, that's a nice price.

Nov 7, 2015 at 10:06 PM Post #5,358 of 9,326
If you're considering the EL-8, why the closed back model?  Pretty much everything else you're looking at is open-back, and the open-back EL-8 is the better model (as is the case with on/over-ear headphones in general).

Nov 8, 2015 at 4:49 AM Post #5,359 of 9,326
I mainly listen to Classical Music. i just received the Sennheiser HD 700 yesterday and im impressed so far. Very detailed clear sounding. All around nice Headphone. Audeze EL 8 Closed Back was on Ebay for 500 Dollars ^^. 
I use the Sennheiser with my Beyerdynamic a200p. Is that a good idea ? ore should i upgrade to a better Amp+ Dac.

Cheers Luke

Nov 8, 2015 at 9:49 AM Post #5,360 of 9,326
Heheh my refurb HD700 should be arriving in a few days...sort of an impulse buy since i've always wanted to own a Sennheiser.

And that urge to buy new headphones pretty much got to me :/

Can't wait to test them out :))

Nov 8, 2015 at 3:11 PM Post #5,363 of 9,326
  Heheh my refurb HD700 should be arriving in a few days...sort of an impulse buy since i've always wanted to own a Sennheiser.

And that urge to buy new headphones pretty much got to me :/

Can't wait to test them out :))

Congrats. Looks like you are moving from a Grado 225 ... make sure you take time to acclimate to the 700s; they are radically different from the Grado sound. Enjoy!

Nov 8, 2015 at 7:23 PM Post #5,365 of 9,326

Congrats. Looks like you are moving from a Grado 225 ... make sure you take time to acclimate to the 700s; they are radically different from the Grado sound. Enjoy!

Yeah thx :)) Will update once I've tested them for a few days.

I was hoping to get a set of cans that would sound quite different so I guess all's good :D

Nov 10, 2015 at 3:41 PM Post #5,367 of 9,326
I'm looking at getting a pair of HD700s, installing a balanced cable on them, and hooking them to a PONO.  My 598s are single-input, and are 50 ohm.  Has anyone here tried an HD700 + Balanced setup with the PONO, and if so, how has it worked?  

Thanks!

Jason

Nov 11, 2015 at 3:06 AM Post #5,369 of 9,326
  Hi! I am looking for the best deal currently on the HD 700. They can be new, open box, or refurbished. The only thing that matters is that there is some sort of warranty on them. Thanks!

Amazon often have deals and or used ones which should have some safety if you buy from them. For refurbished you can try Sennheisers own site I think. Alternatively if you can wait till the end of the month then there should be some Black Friday offers coming up so you'd just need to shop around. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back