Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Aug 2, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #4,801 of 9,326
I like my HD700s and I believe Sennheiser has done a stellar job…I’m not here to convince others on their merits but have pointed out why "I" do like them…but I do not comprehend those who strive to try and convince folks otherwise.... we get it…move on.....life’s just too short.

Aug 2, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #4,803 of 9,326
Ok...so here's my story.

Prior to procuring the HD700’s over a year and a half ago I had on hand the for almost a decade the AKG K701s, K501’s and K240DFs, Grado SR325is and the Sennheiser HD580/600s.

The AKG K240dfs were my preferred cans for mixing in the studio in the 80s and 90s but currently long in tooth to what is available today but probably still have their place.

The K501s were an nice were upgrade..a devil to drive and sorely lacking in base.

Next in line came the Senn HD580/600s…better extended base…nice balanced tonality and detail but way too polite…almost everything sounded ok…great for bad recordings but…. they put me to sleep.

Grados woke me up a bit, I liked the perceived clarity (brightness?) and went from the the 125s, 225s and then settled on the SR325is
Overall the sound was bit too immediate and deficient in sophistication.

AKG K701s…maintained the Grado crispness, cleaner sound and added air and stage width.

I did try Beyerdynamics and a few others along the way, haven’t been a great fan of planar magnetic but I should give them another try.

Anyway along come Sennheisers HD800s..audiontened them a few times but not totally convinced so didn’t immediately jump on them.

Mind you I was itching for something new..read a number of reviews on the HD700s and noticed they had a polarized reception. So the best thing to do is to source reviewers who appeared to have similar tastes to my own…coincidently they all seem to like these new Senns…some preferring them over the HD800s.

So figured why not give them a try, anyway I’m the first to admit my initial reception was lukewarm…nothing really stood out but after days of continual comparisons with all the above phones their strengths became more and more apparent.

The K701s became two dimensional, the Grados lost out on all accounts and the 700s were IMHO an all round improvement over the HD580/600s so that they sounded dated in comparison.

But there was something different in their presentation…up until this point I was ignoring my speakers but deciding to take a break after a few weeks I powered up my stereo..and then it hit me…I was aware the HD700s did come across more speaker like but not normally something I attribute to headphones…owing to the close proximity to the ear every little detail is placed on display and the overall physco-acoutics is completely different and have just grown to accept the fact.

So with some quick comparisons…alternating between the HD700s and the Dynaudio Special 25s

I had to admit their tonal presentation was the closest I had experienced with a set of cans…my previous headphones didn’t even come close..not only that but the staging in comparison was also very similar…still in a headphone sort of way …but laid out more horizontally (less concave and or convex) or wrapped around the head but also with adequate depth/layering and excellent stage width.
And then I got it…Sennheiser did indeed voice the HD700s.. so that the phones were less of a compromise when one is unable to listen to ones stereo set-up, I’m not sure that was their intention but at least for my ears and 40 years in this hobby the HD700s as I mentioned more than once are a step in the right direction.
Are they perfect…no…but they did manage to oust out all my previous phones so that I do not need a ½ dozen phones to accommodate my eclectic tastes in music and and I now enjoy spending a lot more time listening to headphones and to me that says a lot.

Should add that I did eventually add the HD800s....

and also the AKG K712s but those two also gone.

So what can one say to those that for whatever reason just do not like the HD700s or even seem to hate them...well this is an “impressions thread” and not an “appreciation thread” so I guess we just have to live with it... at least it’s not a thread about our wives or loved ones.
smile.gif

Aug 3, 2015 at 3:14 AM Post #4,804 of 9,326
  i loled at people here talks about flat FR but they dont have 600 in their collection.

and some just ' my toy is better yada yada. ' 

tsk tsk tsk :D

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD600.pdf

I fail to see how this is "flat". The bass and lower treble are slightly boosted and there's a pretty significant 3kHz ramp. The HD650 is much flatter, as is the HD800. (make sure you're looking at the raw plots when evaluating flatness...)

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/AiwaHP500DIYModifiedKabeer.pdf

This is a very close approximation to my SS-100, as I mimicked the mods Kabeer did to the HP500. The headphones use (basically) the same drivers, though the SS-100's is slightly superior due to much lower distortion and better upper range linearity/smoothess.

Compare to HD700 raw plots...

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SennheiserHD700.pdf

PS: Here are the stock SS-100 measurements if you want proof for the better distortion and upper range claims made relative to the Aiwas. My pair hasn't been remeasured after the mods yet since Tyll is busy with Big Sound 2015.

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SansuiSS100.pdf

Aug 3, 2015 at 5:25 AM Post #4,805 of 9,326
  Ok...so here's my story.

It's hilarious how some HD700 haters and trolls claim "sonic incompetence" or that HD700 fans who appreciate the headphone have little experience with other headphones. 

Thank you for sharing your whole story this time. 
beerchug.gif

So what can one say to those that for whatever reason just do not like the HD700s or even seem to hate them...well this is an “impressions thread” and not an “appreciation thread” so I guess we just have to live with it... at least it’s not a thread about our wives or loved ones.
smile.gif

Honestly, most "impressions" threads are just "appreciation" threads on head-fi. This thread is quite large and contains both impressions and appreciation posts, along with criticisms and hater posts too. 

I don't mind criticisms against HD700. It's a polarizing headphone with a lot of naysayers / haters / trolls that love to bash it.

I just don't like it when they keep doing it, post after post. They are here for 1 reason only: to trash and troll the HD700 and people who enjoy them.

Aug 3, 2015 at 5:32 AM Post #4,806 of 9,326
  Ok...so here's my story...

Wow...great fun to read your (imo very informative) post
smily_headphones1.gif

Although I auditioned the HD700 for less than an hour totally, I just can't believe some members over here are that negative about it. I think I have/had some nice hp's and normally I can judge if I like their sound signature quite fast and the HD700 did impress me immediately when I heard it...
Maybe the source is a big part of the experience, but from both the TEAC HA-501 amp as from my DX90/Chord Hugo stack it sounded superb to my ears

I also had the K701's (bought it in a package deal with a RudiStor RP5.1 tube amp), but I found them too analytical / bright for my taste => sold it after I had it for a few weeks.

Now the Grado's: I have 2 at the moment and I recognize what you write about yours in the RS2 model (I will sell that one within the next weeks). But....when you ever have the chance, you might want to try the PS500, because imo that one gives a complete other sound. It has a much heavier and fuller soundsignature with more bass, while still having very good mids and highs. Soundstage and imaging are also very good. As you can see in the picture I have some G-cushions on them for improved soundstage...like 'm (a lot) that way

Btw, I also had the GS1000 for almost a year, but preferred the (cheaper) PS500 over it at that time

Untill some weeks ago I had an Audeze LCD-2 over here and straight from the Hugo the PS500 really crushed them imo (although the LCD-2 sounded very nice from the RudiStor)

The combination that I own and that comes closest to ''speaker like sound'' is the Sony MDR-Z7, but only when used from a Pono player in balanced mode. Such an amazing 3D sound...listening single ended with the Z7 doesn't even come close...

For some time ago there were many people ''burning down'' the Pono as being a ''Neil Young marketing gimmick''...most of them were very negative about it without even owning or hearing it and I just can't understand a thing like that
redface.gif

So, later this week I'll receive my HD700 and I'm still very curious how it will hold up to my other hp's...
Cheers and thanks for you post!
beerchug.gif

Aug 3, 2015 at 5:50 AM Post #4,807 of 9,326
So, later this week I'll receive my HD700 and I'm still very curious how it will hold up to my other hp's... Cheers and thanks for you post!
beerchug.gif

Hi Kerouac,

Did you order your HD700 from Massdrop too?
Coz even I am waiting for mine from the Massdrop shipping, which as per DHL is on its way from Frankfurt to the Netherlands.

Happy listening, though i must say your gear is at one or two levels more than what I have.

Cheers.

Aug 3, 2015 at 6:09 AM Post #4,808 of 9,326
Hi Kerouac,  
Did you order your HD700 from Massdrop too?
Coz even I am waiting for mine from the Massdrop shipping, which as per DHL is on its way from Frankfurt to the Netherlands.

Happy listening, though i must say your gear is at one or two levels more than what I have.

Cheers.

Nope, I picked up mine in the classifieds some days ago: http://www.head-fi.org/t/776258/sennheiser-hd700
It will be send from France today, so I'll probably receive it at the end of this week.

Btw, I pick up a lot of stuff in the classifieds (or at the Dutch ''marktplaats'')...it keeps this hobby (or should I call it addiction
wink.gif
) affordable...and of course sometimes it's also time to sell stuff...

Aug 3, 2015 at 6:31 AM Post #4,809 of 9,326

Nope, I picked up mine in the classifieds some days ago: http://www.head-fi.org/t/776258/sennheiser-hd700
It will be send from France today, so I'll probably receive it at the end of this week.

Btw, I pick up a lot of stuff in the classifieds (or at the Dutch ''marktplaats'')...it keeps this hobby (or should I call it addiction
wink.gif
) affordable...and of course sometimes it's also time to sell stuff...

Thanks for the info :)
I do keep a tab on marktplaats as well for few things but then i am not very very regular as i dont change my gear too often and these days am too tied up to actually sit and experiment with newer devices.

Aug 3, 2015 at 7:12 AM Post #4,810 of 9,326
  Wow...great fun to read your (imo very informative) post
smily_headphones1.gif

Now the Grado's: I have 2 at the moment and I recognize what you write about yours in the RS2 model (I will sell that one within the next weeks). But....when you ever have the chance, you might want to try the PS500, because imo that one gives a complete other sound................................

Cheers and thanks for you post!
beerchug.gif

They're on my short list.

Hey Guys…while we’re on the topic of different or complimentary phones anyone try the Grado PS500e, sold off my SR325i after getting the 700s as the 325s actually sounded grainy in comparison, read the PS500s were much smoother.

Aug 3, 2015 at 10:17 AM Post #4,812 of 9,326
If the PS500e's are on your short list, I would seriously consider the new GH-1 instead. I had both and the 500e's are gone now.

Believe I read somewhere they both have new drivers.

Interestingly though it has never really been proven or disproven but rumor has it that previously all of the their headphones incorporated the same driver.

Anyway if their reception is “not” polarized I’m not too sure they’d be the phones for me
biggrin.gif
, but I shall give them a listen if I can.  
smile.gif

Aug 3, 2015 at 11:28 AM Post #4,813 of 9,326
  Believe I read somewhere they both have new drivers.

Interestingly though it has never really been proven or disproven but rumor has it that previously all of the their headphones incorporated the same driver.

Anyway if their reception is “not” polarized I’m not too sure they’d be the phones for me
biggrin.gif
, but I shall give them a listen if I can.  
smile.gif

Not polarized at all on the Grado thread, they are pretty universally liked.  Of course they don't have the measurement guys hanging out so much over there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back