Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Aug 4, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #4,816 of 9,320
I'd really appreciate if someone could help me on this.

Backstory (Not important): Last month I got a pair of HD700's for free. I've been plugging them into my sound card, which is just some ****ty onboard audio sound card with an amp (MSI X99 Gaming 7) and they sound amazing... or so I thought. Later on my friend tells me to go over to his house and try it on his Sony Receiver, I plug them in and I think I ruined his carpet because I jizzed everywhere. Later on I find out the sound can be even more mesmerizing, so here I am!

I am now convinced I need a DAC/Amp and I have about a grand in amazon gift cards. So I need to stick with them.

I saw some videos about Schiit audio and I like their design, so i was thinking of going with Schiit.

Anyways, I wanted to use them for everything, Movies, Gaming, Music. 

I was thinking of getting the Bifrost Uber and hooking it up through my S/PDIF on my sound card (is this stupid?), will USB give me better quality?

As for amp, I can't decide between Lyr 2 and Valhalla 2.

Thanks in advanced!

Aug 4, 2015 at 12:21 PM Post #4,817 of 9,320
With motherboards, you have to install the audio drivers from the manufacturer and specify that you are using headphones. Sometimes they only have one amp on the front panel connector or rear connector, so you have to actually pay attention to which one you use (though yours has it on both).

High end motherboards are actually pretty good for audio though. You don't have to buy anything imo.

Aug 4, 2015 at 12:40 PM Post #4,818 of 9,320
I can't imagine that honestly.

I have the Driver/Engine installed, and I have the amp turned on (It's a switch on the mobo)

I mean, my friends 300 dollar Speaker Receiver makes it sound 5x better. I was just imagining the Schiit setup to do 50x better.

Aug 4, 2015 at 1:51 PM Post #4,819 of 9,320
  I'd really appreciate if someone could help me on this.

Backstory (Not important): Last month I got a pair of HD700's............................

Thanks in advanced!

Welcome to the 700 club, can’t help with your set-up as I’m not computer based…unless we include iTunes sent to my Apple TV, processed by my AVP and then out to my head-amp…but glad you do see the merits of running the HD700s off an appropriate source/amp.
smile.gif

Aug 4, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #4,820 of 9,320
I was thinking of getting the Bifrost Uber and hooking it up through my S/PDIF on my sound card (is this stupid?), will USB give me better quality?

Thanks in advanced!

I would go for toslink S/PDIF. Because you can catch some electromagnetic interference through USB which causes high pitch noises in your Headphones/Speakers (whatever you'r using). You can reduce this by using good quality cable though.

I was lurking for a month now on this forum and got a pair of Sennheiser HD700 two weeks ago.
Currently using a Soundblaster Z which sounds pretty good. I compared them to my onboard sound of the MSI X99S SLI Plus, which uses the ALC892. Your motherboard is using a better version, the ALC1150.
And while shortly comparing the two, onboard and the soundblaster, i couldn't hear a difference. Maybe i should dig more into comparing both and hear if i can catch some differences, but probably not.
Because i ordered a Schiit Magni 2 U and Modi 2 U on the weekend and will comparing the stack vs the soundblaster a lot for sure :)
I'll look if i see distortions by using USB compared to S/PDIF, but for the long run i will use S/PDIF anyways.

I'm excited if there will be a improvement and what will it be alike.

Aug 4, 2015 at 3:06 PM Post #4,821 of 9,320

@FreedomG, Best amp for the HD-700 I have found is my Project Ember.   I also have a Lyr2 and BH Crack that I have tried with the HD-700 but the Ember still works the best IMO.  Since you have all the Amazon credit then I would suggest the Bifrost/Lyr2 combo but add in some cost for tubes (I've spent almost double on tubes than the amp cost, really don't have to spend that much but a good pair of tubes can cost anywhere from $50 to over $250 a pair).

The Project Ember is cheaper than the Lyr2 and only needs one tube so that is something to consider and its also a much more versatile amp due to the changeable output resistance/impedance.

As for a DAC, I also have the Bifrost (optical) and Teac UD-301 (optical), between the two the UD-301 has more dynamics but the Bifrost is more neutral to me.

Per the MSI site your mobo has a SB chipset with DSP ability.  You might have to go in to a settings page and check what the built in sound card is configured to output.

Good luck

PS: on the Valhalla2, tried my friends one a while ago and while it does quite good with the HE-650 and HD-800 it was a little disappointing with the HD-700, my guess is that like the BH Crack the HD-700 impedance is too low to get a great pairing.

Aug 4, 2015 at 3:58 PM Post #4,822 of 9,320

All I can say is get the best amp and DAC that you can you won't regret it. 
I don't own one, but this "Project Ember" made by a company named Garage1217 is immensely popular here and the single tube can be almost anything that will fit, so don't worry about that part.  I already own two good  amps and I am thinking that I should get one. 
That said,  I wouldn't say the amps you are considering are poor choices.

Aug 4, 2015 at 5:52 PM Post #4,823 of 9,320

@FreedomG, Best amp for the HD-700 I have found is my Project Ember.   I also have a Lyr2 and BH Crack that I have tried with the HD-700 but the Ember still works the best IMO.  Since you have all the Amazon credit then I would suggest the Bifrost/Lyr2 combo but add in some cost for tubes (I've spent almost double on tubes than the amp cost, really don't have to spend that much but a good pair of tubes can cost anywhere from $50 to over $250 a pair).

The Project Ember is cheaper than the Lyr2 and only needs one tube so that is something to consider and its also a much more versatile amp due to the changeable output resistance/impedance.

As for a DAC, I also have the Bifrost (optical) and Teac UD-301 (optical), between the two the UD-301 has more dynamics but the Bifrost is more neutral to me.

Per the MSI site your mobo has a SB chipset with DSP ability.  You might have to go in to a settings page and check what the built in sound card is configured to output.

Good luck

PS: on the Valhalla2, tried my friends one a while ago and while it does quite good with the HE-650 and HD-800 it was a little disappointing with the HD-700, my guess is that like the BH Crack the HD-700 impedance is too low to get a great pairing.

This is really informative, thank you.

So I have 3 questions.

1. I can go either UD-301/Bifrost, both available on amazon. Which do you recommend?
2. How often would I need to replace the tubes?
3. Which tubes should I get?

Aug 4, 2015 at 6:51 PM Post #4,824 of 9,320
  This is really informative, thank you.

So I have 3 questions.

1. I can go either UD-301/Bifrost, both available on amazon. Which do you recommend?
2. How often would I need to replace the tubes?
3. Which tubes should I get?

1.  If the UD-301 is still on sale for $400 I would go with it, you will also get a decent headphone amp with it.

2.  How long the tubes last or how often you need to replace is anyone's guess, I have tubes that are 2 years old with about 2000 hours on them and are still going strong, I've heard 5000 to 7000 hours but I think some say it also depends on the tube series, could be wrong.  I have 15 sets for my Lyr2, 23 single tubes for Ember/BH Crack driver, 6 power tubes for BH crack

3.  Lyr2: Telefunken CCa, Siemens Lorenz, Amperex PQ or Bugle Boy, Reflextor 74-75
     Project Ember: Telefunken, Bugle Boy, 12AX7 Mullard, 6SN7GT (need adapter)

Have had some success with new tubes like Tung Sol, Electro Harmonix, Gold Lion, Mullard, best to try but for the cost of pair Telefunken CCa you can get 4 pairs of these new production tubes, food for thought.

Aug 4, 2015 at 7:55 PM Post #4,825 of 9,320
  1.  If the UD-301 is still on sale for $400 I would go with it, you will also get a decent headphone amp with it
up to you.
Have had some success with new tubes like Tung Sol, Electro Harmonix, Gold Lion, Mullard, best to try but for the cost of pair Telefunken CCa you can get 4 pairs of these new production tubes, food for thought.

I agree,  for the most part with the lines above.  It has taken a few decades worth of R+D , but it appears that new production tubes have begun to equal their NOS ancestry.   It's not over  the old tubes can be spectacular, new product is predictable and quality controlled trying to avoid spectacles. 
You don't have to get involved with the tube trade as it is practiced on eBay.  There are many places to buy old and new tubes,  and you usually don't have to guess how many hours are on them ( tube in question). If you really want to buy NOS or just OS these days, write or call me before buying..

Aug 4, 2015 at 8:06 PM Post #4,826 of 9,320
  I can't imagine that honestly.

I have the Driver/Engine installed, and I have the amp turned on (It's a switch on the mobo)

I mean, my friends 300 dollar Speaker Receiver makes it sound 5x better. I was just imagining the Schiit setup to do 50x better.

Hello,

As someone who also runs the HD700/Lyr2 combo, I'll say that you probably won't regret buying any Schiit-ty gear. However, on your question on the combo to go with, I'll say this, the differences in this gear can be subjective (I for one wouldn't want to swap out my Lyr 2 for the Ember, for example), and when possible, do try and audition them at a friend's place/store first before deciding.

We may be splitting hairs with similar gear, but if there's a difference YOU can perceive, you'll regret not going with what sounds best to you. Either way, all the best to you, and welcome to our addiction (sorry 'bout yer wallet :p )

Aug 5, 2015 at 1:14 AM Post #4,829 of 9,320
  So is the HD700 still worth buying at $500?

I'd say no. The HD650 will be better at most things at about $350. Spend $150 on a tube amp like Vali and you'll be doing better at the same price point.

Aug 5, 2015 at 2:26 AM Post #4,830 of 9,320
  So is the HD700 still worth buying at $500?

Personally, if comparing it to other headphones and their prices out there, I think so. I know @takato14 has said that he doesn't like certain things about the HD700 (and I perfectly understand why, as I actually see many of the shortcomings myself), but I also think that there are things that the HD700 does really, really well.

The headphone is quick and can keep up with complex music, is decently detailed (though not spectacularly detailed), has excellent imaging, and has a huge soundstage in terms of both depth and width. At least for me, soundstage is really important, and is a huge reason why I really like this headphone because I seriously think it has one of the best soundstages of any headphone under $1000.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back