Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Jun 7, 2015 at 7:23 PM Post #4,186 of 9,319
Do you get more of the emotional connection from your HD650's? If so I can definitely understand. I go back and forth between the 700 and 650 constantly.

I do and I suspect there's something in the FR curve that would explain why that is, with my playback chain, but I wouldn't be able to articulate the reason.

It may be the amount of time I've spent with the 650s, relative to the 700s ... don't know. I am trying to spend more time with the 700s to see if that's it. But I was listening to the new Florence + the Machine album the other night with the 700s and felt like something was missing; switched to the 650s and went... aaahhhh... nice!

I think the reason for this might be that the HD-700's sound stage is too wide for some genre of music to sound natural.  I also noticed that I like the HD-700 better on the Ember (hydrid) vs the BH Crack (OTL) due to the adjustable output resistance/impedance, where the BH Crack is geared specifically high impedance headphones like the HD-600/650/800 and Beyers.  If listening to classic rock the HD-700 sounds un-natural to me due to the sound stage being to wide, but the bass is nice a tight, goes low, mids are a little recessed to me, highs have a nice shimmer, on the HD-650 the bass is not as low or tight, the mids are slightly forward and the highs don't have the shimmer of the HD-700 but are not a problem and the sound makes me feel like I'm right in them middle of the studio.  For classical the HD-700 is way ahead of the HD-650, the HD-650 sound constricted and the dynamics sound compressed to me.

Jun 8, 2015 at 8:08 AM Post #4,187 of 9,319
I've been having a little fun this morning setting up and using my measuring rig. I finally got it working properly and did some measuring of my T50RP and the HD700. Here's the HD700! (Yes I know this info was already available).

Jun 10, 2015 at 6:47 AM Post #4,190 of 9,319
I think the reason for this might be that the HD-700's sound stage is too wide for some genre of music to sound natural.  I also noticed that I like the HD-700 better on the Ember (hydrid) vs the BH Crack (OTL) due to the adjustable output resistance/impedance, where the BH Crack is geared specifically high impedance headphones like the HD-600/650/800 and Beyers.  If listening to classic rock the HD-700 sounds un-natural to me due to the sound stage being to wide, but the bass is nice a tight, goes low, mids are a little recessed to me, highs have a nice shimmer, on the HD-650 the bass is not as low or tight, the mids are slightly forward and the highs don't have the shimmer of the HD-700 but are not a problem and the sound makes me feel like I'm right in them middle of the studio.  For classical the HD-700 is way ahead of the HD-650, the HD-650 sound constricted and the dynamics sound compressed to me.

It's a tough balance. I catch myself going back and forth. Been trying to listen to the same album with both comparing the difference. 700 love the tight bass and extended highs ( most of the time) but the vocals on the 650s are perfection. :pensive: what to do.

Jun 10, 2015 at 8:31 AM Post #4,191 of 9,319
It's a tough balance. I catch myself going back and forth. Been trying to listen to the same album with both comparing the difference. 700 love the tight bass and extended highs ( most of the time) but the vocals on the 650s are perfection. :pensive: what to do.

Spend double the time listening to each album twice with both headphones
tongue.gif
.  I've trying to keep switching headphones to a minimum but as soon as I change my play list I've been changing headphones, hard to keep only a few when the genre of music changes and I feel that a certain headphone does best for that genre.  Using 8 different headphones on a daily basis, HD-800/700/650, HE-560/400, K7XX, DT-990 premium, and SennGrado for most of my listening time.

Jun 10, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #4,192 of 9,319

This is my impression as well vs the HD600. The dynamic range is noticeably bigger on the HD700 and it commands more attention when listening to classical. On other genres I don't think that would be particularly noticed.

I think the 600 (and suspect 650 too) has a large centre image (or "spread out" more) making the subject appear closer. I can see that making it more enjoyable for other genres if not sounding more natural.

Jun 10, 2015 at 7:04 PM Post #4,193 of 9,319
  OK. So, I have used the HD700s on video games (namely, The Witcher 3), and I have to say I am totally amazed beyond what I was amazed when I first listened to some music with these. The person that posted here that they are almost surround on your head was right on the money. I can hear things that (in other headphones) would sound like simply coming from the right side (for example), but with the 700s, I can pick out how far, and if it is a little right front, or right rear, or just in the center. The fact that they are revealing, and the bass is accurate make things sound amazing. Just thought I would share that with you all.

As for moving back and forth between headphones, I do the same all the time. Although for different reasons (I suspect). Every now and then I have to cleanse my palette (if you will). Some days I am just not happy with the sound of (it seems like) anything. I will put on the 700s, and they just seem to not satisfy me at all, where other days they sound wonderful. So, I get ALL my headphones out and start popping them on until I find the ones that seem to sound good to me that day. I may end up preferring my Momentum wireless over my 700s, or I may end up putting in my pistons, or Marshall Monitors (although I seem to never prefer my B&W P5's, they just suck hehe). I also do this with my DAPS/Amps/DACS too. For the most part, though, I gravitate back to the 700s, or my home stereo, before very long. 

I think I have decided that I will be buying the Project Ember 2 as my first tube amp (mainly for the 700s), and I am leaning towards the 12au7 family of tubes to start. Not 100% on that tube family just yet, I will listen to stock to begin with, and experiment from there (for my ear), but I have had some great feedback from you all, and I have done a lot of reading (as many different places as I can), to try and figure out what I might enjoy best for my tastes (short of actually purchasing and hearing them). Thanks again for all your feedback, and I will report back on my impressions as soon as I get working again, and can afford (or decide to sell off some of my portable gear). 

Jun 10, 2015 at 7:17 PM Post #4,196 of 9,319
  I've been having a little fun this morning setting up and using my measuring rig. I finally got it working properly and did some measuring of my T50RP and the HD700. Here's the HD700! (Yes I know this info was already available).

Cool! Measuring is a really interesting aspect of the hobby and it has tons of nuances to it. It almost becomes an art. I'm really interested to follow your progression on measurements (that is, if you're in it for the long run 
beerchug.gif
)

Jun 10, 2015 at 8:05 PM Post #4,199 of 9,319
  I'm having massive "I don't know what amp to get" syndrome 

Bottlehead Crack is what you should get.

Schiit Vali and Modi if you want a pretty one

Centrance Hifi M8 if you want a portable one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back