Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Jun 6, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #4,156 of 9,298
  That is essentially what I'm looking for, for the 700. So you don't use the tubes that come with it? If not, then what tubes are you using for it? Also, you mentioned Project Ember. I have read much of (but not all) this thread, and don't recall seeing the Project Ember mentioned. Have you used that one? What were your impressions.

There's lots of tubes.
I use usaf 596 rectifier

And
Nu 6f8g driver tubes

But I just got them.
Wa6 was somewhat warm with stock tubes
Project Amber is very nice. I think it would satisfy you but it's really what your ear likes.
Have been using Sofia princess and Sylvania 6DE7
And before that stock drivers with jan-cahg 5R4wga rectifier.

Jun 6, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #4,157 of 9,298
There's lots of tubes.
I use usaf 596 rectifier

And
Nu 6f8g driver tubes

But I just got them.
Wa6 was somewhat warm with stock tubes
Project Amber is very nice. I think it would satisfy you but it's really what your ear likes.
Have been using Sofia princess and Sylvania 6DE7
And before that stock drivers with jan-cahg 5R4wga rectifier.

So, did you change the stock tubes because it was too warm for you with the HD700s, or for some other reason? I am not sure where I want to go with it, but I think (when I get money flowing again), I might try the Vali (as cheap as they are), and decide from there. Once I get a baseline of the sound that a tube amp might add I can better discuss and decide what I want. I have only ever heard SS so far. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind SS at all, but from all I have read, and my own ears, a tube amp would pair much better with the 700s. 

What differences were there to your ears that made the WA6 a better amp than the Project Ember?

You have certainly given me a lot of research to do, but your input is greatly appreciated!

Jun 6, 2015 at 8:48 PM Post #4,158 of 9,298
@samandhi, I like the Project Ember with the HD-700, its a great pairing and as you wanted to smooth the treble its about a good as I've found.  The Project Ember is a very flexible amp due to being able to change the output resistance/impedance to match headphones of different impedance and it also has adjustable input gain to better match your source.  I use a UD-301 or Bifrost as my DAC but have tried the line out from my X3ii into the Project Ember and it works great.  Also, since the Ember only takes one tube it is easier and less costly to tube roll, I currently use a 12AU7 Telefunken or 12AX7 Electro Harmonix, many like to get the adapter to use 6SN7 tubes but I haven't tried so can't comment on how they sound.

For comparisons I also have a Lyr2 and BH Crack that I have used with the HD-700 but will always go back the Ember.  Others have suggested the Gustard H-10 (SS) as a great match for the HD-700.

Good luck on your search.

Jun 6, 2015 at 9:31 PM Post #4,159 of 9,298
    So, did you change the stock tubes because it was too warm for you with the HD700s, or for some other reason? I am not sure where I want to go with it, but I think (when I get money flowing again), I might try the Vali (as cheap as they are), and decide from there. Once I get a baseline of the sound that a tube amp might add I can better discuss and decide what I want. I have only ever heard SS so far. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind SS at all, but from all I have read, and my own ears, a tube amp would pair much better with the 700s. 

What differences were there to your ears that made the WA6 a better amp than the Project Ember?

You have certainly given me a lot of research to do, but your input is greatly appreciated!

I changed the Stock tubes to get more air, depth, and sound stage. The stock tubes where somewhat harsh also
lots of tubes add warmth and stuff that may not be what your looking for. I have Audio-gd 15 which is solid state and it seems very nice, but i just prefer tubes over ss
WA6 had more tubes to change and get different sounds and i felt more 3ding with Wa6, as well as the look of woo over project 

Jun 6, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #4,160 of 9,298

I changed the Stock tubes to get more air, depth, and sound stage. The stock tubes where somewhat harsh also
lots of tubes add warmth and stuff that may not be what your looking for. I have Audio-gd 15 which is solid state and it seems very nice, but i just prefer tubes over ss
WA6 had more tubes to change and get different sounds and i felt more 3ding with Wa6, as well as the look of woo over project 

Love the look of Woo Audio stuff, really liked the look of the WA7d but it was a little disappointing when I listened to it.  It still had the stock tubes so it may not have been shown at it best but at $1100 (used) I would expect more.  The Ember was a better match for the HD-700 than the WA7d and it is also a more versatile amp IMO, other may say other wise.  After reading more I think it might have been the DAC section that is holding the WA7d back FWIW.

Jun 6, 2015 at 11:02 PM Post #4,161 of 9,298
Love the look of Woo Audio stuff, really liked the look of the WA7d but it was a little disappointing when I listened to it.  It still had the stock tubes so it may not have been shown at it best but at $1100 (used) I would expect more.  The Ember was a better match for the HD-700 than the WA7d and it is also a more versatile amp IMO, other may say other wise.  After reading more I think it might have been the DAC section that is holding the WA7d back FWIW.

Yes very disappointed in the wa7 but the dac isn't very good. Wa6, wa2 both are amazing. Stock or not.
Project ember are great way to go! Sound good.

Jun 6, 2015 at 11:48 PM Post #4,162 of 9,298
Yes very disappointed in the wa7 but the dac isn't very good. Wa6, wa2 both are amazing. Stock or not.
Project ember are great way to go! Sound good.

Don't dismiss the WA3 for the HD-700... listening to it right now, with some Jazz, using a fast power tube (Tung-Sol 7236) and warm drivers (Philips E88CC) - really does a great job with the treble on the HD-700s.

That said, while the 700s are all there technically: soundstage, detail, separation, imaging... I am struggling to connect emotionally with these cans with anything except ambient electronica and classical strings (where, especially the latter, they kill anything else I've ever personally auditioned).

Jun 7, 2015 at 1:42 AM Post #4,163 of 9,298

Don't dismiss the WA3 for the HD-700... listening to it right now, with some Jazz, using a fast power tube (Tung-Sol 7236) and warm drivers (Philips E88CC) - really does a great job with the treble on the HD-700s.

That said, while the 700s are all there technically: soundstage, detail, separation, imaging... I am struggling to connect emotionally with these cans with anything except ambient electronica and classical strings (where, especially the latter, they kill anything else I've ever personally auditioned).

I like the HD-700 for watching movies, almost like getting surround with the wide sound stage.  Using the coax out of my blue-ray player into the bifirost then the Lyr2 for watching movies.

Jun 7, 2015 at 4:48 AM Post #4,164 of 9,298
  @samandhi, I like the Project Ember with the HD-700, its a great pairing and as you wanted to smooth the treble its about a good as I've found.  The Project Ember is a very flexible amp due to being able to change the output resistance/impedance to match headphones of different impedance and it also has adjustable input gain to better match your source.  I use a UD-301 or Bifrost as my DAC but have tried the line out from my X3ii into the Project Ember and it works great.  Also, since the Ember only takes one tube it is easier and less costly to tube roll, I currently use a 12AU7 Telefunken or 12AX7 Electro Harmonix, many like to get the adapter to use 6SN7 tubes but I haven't tried so can't comment on how they sound.

For comparisons I also have a Lyr2 and BH Crack that I have used with the HD-700 but will always go back the Ember.  Others have suggested the Gustard H-10 (SS) as a great match for the HD-700.

Good luck on your search.

I was also liking the flexibility of the the Project Ember. So, what is the tube that is stock with this amp? Just to give you an example of the sound sig that I like, I am in love with the sound of these cans out of the box (for the most part). I only want to tame that apparent treble spike, but keep the overall clarity of it. I have some treble hearing loss (due to age and lots and lots of concerts as a young man). In other words, I like as much treble as I can get without being sibilant (with the Momentum wireless, I actually turn the Fiio E17Ks treble up to 10 without hearing any sibilance, even though those are known to have some "Senn veil" over them), or what sounds like could be distortion in the treble (especially in rock and metal). I realize there are some recordings that do that anyhow, and that the 700s just reveal that better (think Metallica, Death Magnetic), but there are others that don't have that, that the 700s seem to GIVE to that recording. I also love the accuracy of the bass, but would like to have just a tad more quantity. So, I'm not looking to warm them too much. 

I have seen a LOT of people earlier in this thread that have gone the BH Crack route, but Im not sure I really want to go with that one (though it is not ruled out). Not sure I have the inclination to DIY. I also haven't totally ruled out SS, but I would love to try a tube amp (never heard anything through one at this point), and so far the concensus has been tube all the way for 700s. 

Thanks for your input!

Originally Posted by 3083joe 

Ok, I see. As mentioned above, I don't want to go with too warm. But, I like the idea of adding as much air, depth, and sound stage as can be brought out in this can. As you saw from my original post about these HP, I am using the iPod touch (5th gen), with a Fiio E17 currently, and while it sounds really good for what it is, I feel (from all the descriptions about these cans) that I am missing some depth, and sound stage. While the treble is somewhat tamed by using the warmish iPod, I was wanting a little more bass from it, so I actually got an app called Accudio Pro, and downloaded the HD700 profile for it, and then moved the sub bass slider a hair up. Just to get an idea of what you like (sound sig wise), have you ever listened to the Momentum 1 or Momentum 2.0? Those are the previous best HP I have owned. I liked them (think fun sound), but the bass was a bit over exaggerated, and there is that "Sennheiser veil" on them that I don't really like (too much warmth). 

I will look at that one too (though I have glanced at it briefly). Would the WA3 being OTL mean that I wouldn't be able to push my lesser impedance HPs very well, or have you listened to lower impedance phones and found them to sound good?

Also, regarding the WA6 and WA3; being a class A amp, do you find them to get REALLY warm, or semi-warm, or do you find then to stay pretty cool? I have read that the class A tube amps are not terribly efficient, and that wasted energy translates into heat. Is it negligable due to the lower power output than say..... guitar amps, etc..? Sorry to be somewhat off topic, but I really am talking about the HD700, as I probably wouldn't be getting as nice of an amp (or even tube amp) for most, if not all, of my other headphones....

Jun 7, 2015 at 5:09 AM Post #4,165 of 9,298

This is the one you want to get. Beautifully made and a nice upgrade sonically.  If you don't believe in cables, please just ignore this post.

http://r.ebay.com/DBLNEU

I'm not a big believer in sonic differences, but I still love reading cable posts 
beerchug.gif

Jun 7, 2015 at 5:16 AM Post #4,166 of 9,298
   ironically just after purchasing the HD700, lost my job......... 

Hang in there, man...I've been there myself...I hope you're able to find something even better very soon :)

Jun 7, 2015 at 5:18 AM Post #4,167 of 9,298
  I like the HD-700 for watching movies, almost like getting surround with the wide sound stage.  Using the coax out of my blue-ray player into the bifirost then the Lyr2 for watching movies.

The 700s are a great choice for movies, I agree. It's the one application where I'll prioritize comfort as high or even higher than sound quality. 

Jun 7, 2015 at 5:47 AM Post #4,168 of 9,298
  Hang in there, man...I've been there myself...I hope you're able to find something even better very soon :)

Thanks very much! I am in hopes of finding something much better too. I am going to have to since my taste in audio equipment seems to have gone up into what my wife would call "outer space" (money wise). But, this could be a good thing. In the past, I have been somewhat quick to pull the trigger on something that I want. Don't get me wrong, I do a lot of research, but with the time off I have now, I can spend more time finding exactly what I want. While I won't make any commitments to saying that will be end game for me, I can certainly find that "better" I am looking for with the extra time I have on my hands......:)

Jun 7, 2015 at 5:55 AM Post #4,169 of 9,298

I haven't really taken the opportunity to use them for movies (though I have read they are killer for movies AND video gaming), because I just cant get enough of watching movies through my dvd/dvd-audio/sacd player. It has discrete multi-channel output to my reciever. While watching standar DVD (nowadays) sucks, I just cant get over how good it sounds to me. I do (once in a great while) still listen to my Senn RS140's though.

I have plugged them into my Yammy receiver HO, but I think they (700s) sound like crap out of it. I will have to give games and movies a try when I get a decent amp. 

Jun 7, 2015 at 6:43 AM Post #4,170 of 9,298
  I was also liking the flexibility of the the Project Ember. So, what is the tube that is stock with this amp? Just to give you an example of the sound sig that I like, I am in love with the sound of these cans out of the box (for the most part). I only want to tame that apparent treble spike, but keep the overall clarity of it. I have some treble hearing loss (due to age and lots and lots of concerts as a young man). In other words, I like as much treble as I can get without being sibilant (with the Momentum wireless, I actually turn the Fiio E17Ks treble up to 10 without hearing any sibilance, even though those are known to have some "Senn veil" over them), or what sounds like could be distortion in the treble (especially in rock and metal). I realize there are some recordings that do that anyhow, and that the 700s just reveal that better (think Metallica, Death Magnetic), but there are others that don't have that, that the 700s seem to GIVE to that recording. I also love the accuracy of the bass, but would like to have just a tad more quantity. So, I'm not looking to warm them too much. 

I have seen a LOT of people earlier in this thread that have gone the BH Crack route, but Im not sure I really want to go with that one (though it is not ruled out). Not sure I have the inclination to DIY. I also haven't totally ruled out SS, but I would love to try a tube amp (never heard anything through one at this point), and so far the concensus has been tube all the way for 700s. 

Thanks for your input!

Ok, I see. As mentioned above, I don't want to go with too warm. But, I like the idea of adding as much air, depth, and sound stage as can be brought out in this can. As you saw from my original post about these HP, I am using the iPod touch (5th gen), with a Fiio E17 currently, and while it sounds really good for what it is, I feel (from all the descriptions about these cans) that I am missing some depth, and sound stage. While the treble is somewhat tamed by using the warmish iPod, I was wanting a little more bass from it, so I actually got an app called Accudio Pro, and downloaded the HD700 profile for it, and then moved the sub bass slider a hair up. Just to get an idea of what you like (sound sig wise), have you ever listened to the Momentum 1 or Momentum 2.0? Those are the previous best HP I have owned. I liked them (think fun sound), but the bass was a bit over exaggerated, and there is that "Sennheiser veil" on them that I don't really like (too much warmth). 

I will look at that one too (though I have glanced at it briefly). Would the WA3 being OTL mean that I wouldn't be able to push my lesser impedance HPs very well, or have you listened to lower impedance phones and found them to sound good?

Also, regarding the WA6 and WA3; being a class A amp, do you find them to get REALLY warm, or semi-warm, or do you find then to stay pretty cool? I have read that the class A tube amps are not terribly efficient, and that wasted energy translates into heat. Is it negligable due to the lower power output than say..... guitar amps, etc..? Sorry to be somewhat off topic, but I really am talking about the HD700, as I probably wouldn't be getting as nice of an amp (or even tube amp) for most, if not all, of my other headphones....

Wa3 & wa6 are otl but no issues with 700s or my ie80s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back