Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
May 3, 2015 at 8:51 AM Post #3,661 of 9,326
They have a really good instruction manual, it would be hard to take a wrong turn. Watch Tyll's video at Innerfidelity on soldering the BH Crack, practice flowing solder a few times and you'll be fine. I actually really enjoyed the process, which is another reason why I'm seriously considering buying another kit with speedball instead of just adding a speedball to mine.

Thanks for the advice mate.

l saw Tyll's video yesterday (well, not all the way, but enough as to know there is a step by step video out there). To tell you the truth, one of the things that l find appealing the most is 'the process' (and the satisfaction you'll get at the end: "l built my own amp!")... Also, knowing exactly what's inside... Sounds really great to me... Let's see what l end up doing in the end. Again, thanks 
smile.gif

May 3, 2015 at 9:13 AM Post #3,663 of 9,326

Thanks for the advice mate.

l saw Tyll's video yesterday (well, not all the way, but enough as to know there is a step by step video out there). To tell you the truth, one of the things that l find appealing the most is 'the process' (and the satisfaction you'll get at the end: "l built my own amp!")... Also, knowing exactly what's inside... Sounds really great to me... Let's see what l end up doing in the end. Again, thanks 
smile.gif

You just missed a sale on the BH crack back in mid Apr, I ordered one and its on its way.  I hope to have it completed in a week or two.

May 3, 2015 at 9:21 AM Post #3,664 of 9,326
  You just missed a sale on the BH crack back in mid Apr, I ordered one and its on its way.  I hope to have it completed in a week or two.

I missed that sale too man, I ordered mine March 19 and got it in the mail after the sale was over. That is a little frustrating. I paid $416 total for mine, and I heard some people paid $300 for the same thing!!

May 3, 2015 at 9:43 AM Post #3,666 of 9,326
  I missed that sale too man, I ordered mine March 19 and got it in the mail after the sale was over. That is a little frustrating. I paid $416 total for mine, and I heard some people paid $300 for the same thing!!

What tubes are you using?  I have a dozen tubes from my Ember tube rolling ranging from cheap to pricy NOS ones, reason I went with the crack vs sex.  I've been changing tubes to fit which headphone I want to use, haven't been able to find a do it all tube yet, and stopped looking at this point.

May 3, 2015 at 7:31 PM Post #3,667 of 9,326
I have only had it together for about a week and a half now. I have only tried the stock tubes, which are great so far but I guess I don't have anything to compare them to. I believe everyone said that 5998 variants are the best with the Crack? Assuming you've tried some, how do those pair with the HD700 (trying to keep it on topic).

May 3, 2015 at 10:51 PM Post #3,668 of 9,326
  I have only had it together for about a week and a half now. I have only tried the stock tubes, which are great so far but I guess I don't have anything to compare them to. I believe everyone said that 5998 variants are the best with the Crack? Assuming you've tried some, how do those pair with the HD700 (trying to keep it on topic).

My Crack is being shipped to me and should be here within the week.  The tube that I've been using with the Ember that seem to match well with the HD-700 is a 12AX7/ECC83 Mullard, impedance switch on high.  With my Lyr2, NOS Siemens CCa's seem to give me the sound I like best.  Both of these keep the highs from becoming harsh and provide good bass with the HD-700 and also work quite well with my HD-800.  I'll be trying all the tubes that I have for the driver before getting different power tubes.
As you noted many say the 5998 for the power tube is the best so I'll probably look for one after completing the build of the crack if the stock power tube doesn't provide the sound that I was looking for.

May 3, 2015 at 11:22 PM Post #3,669 of 9,326

I don't have a Crack, but I use 5998s with my HD700s and I am very happy.  I have tried several variants of the substitute family for the 6080  and the Tung Sol Chatams come out on top no question.  Curiously the real Western Electric 421As I have used don't sound as good as the 5998s.  I can only attribute that to getting burned out WEs as one is better than the 2 others I own, despite test outcomes.

May 4, 2015 at 3:25 AM Post #3,670 of 9,326

I have the Crack with the 5998 and HD700. It is a good combo, but I prefer the 6080. I'm using the 5998 right now but only because there is zero microphonic issues with it. My stock 6080 has intermittent microphonic noise. The 5998 will make the treble a little more pronounced than the 6080 and the bass a little less pronounced. But, the bass does seem tighter and the soundstage is a bit better with the 5998 over the 6080. I think the 5998 is recommended more often mainly to pair with the HD6XX series because of these traits. The recessed treble of the HD650 would benefit from the 5998, tighten the sometimes loose bass and bring up the treble. 

I'm actually on the hunt for a good Tung Sol 7236 as a good in between. I'm also interested in a Bendix 6080WB. I may try and get my hands on a NOS Mullard driver tube to match the 5998. That is the great thing about this amp, there are so many variations and mods to tweak the sound to your hearts content. There is a wealth of information on the BH forum.

May 4, 2015 at 3:31 AM Post #3,671 of 9,326

I have the Crack with the 5998 and HD700. It is a good combo, but I prefer the 6080. I'm using the 5998 right now but only because there is zero microphonic issues with it. My stock 6080 has intermittent microphonic noise. The 5998 will make the treble a little more pronounced than the 6080 and the bass a little less pronounced. But, the bass does seem tighter and the soundstage is a bit better with the 5998 over the 6080. I think the 5998 is recommended more often mainly to pair with the HD6XX series because of these traits. The recessed treble of the HD650 would benefit from the 5998, tighten the sometimes loose bass and bring up the treble. 

I'm actually on the hunt for a good Tung Sol 7236 as a good in between. I'm also interested in a Bendix 6080WB. I may try and get my hands on a NOS Mullard driver tube to match the 5998. That is the great thing about this amp, there are so many variations and mods to tweak the sound to your hearts content. There is a wealth of information on the BH forum.

Thanks for the info man, I'll keep the 6080 in mind for a different sig later on. I have seen that many people use those as well. 

beerchug.gif

May 4, 2015 at 4:24 AM Post #3,672 of 9,326
Im using the hd700 with fiio e18 (I know, new amp coming tuesday...) and soundstage is much better compared to hd650. Moreover, the brighter signature compared to 650 makes 700 do good at classic/opera. For example, mozart's requiem and symphony 9th movement (aka choral) have rather narrow/cramped soundstage in hd650 ( V shaped soundstage) and dark/muddy overall tone, while 700 have brighter sound with wider soundstage, which makes 700 sound better, at least in terms of my ear.

I'd recommend hd700 to classical music listeners, and 650 to everything-else genre.

May 4, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #3,673 of 9,326

What is/are the driver tubes that you are currently using?  which do your feel work best with the HD-700?

May 4, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #3,674 of 9,326

I don't have a Crack, but I use 5998s with my HD700s and I am very happy.  I have tried several variants of the substitute family for the 6080  and the Tung Sol Chatams come out on top no question.  Curiously the real Western Electric 421As I have used don't sound as good as the 5998s.  I can only attribute that to getting burned out WEs as one is better than the 2 others I own, despite test outcomes.

+1 ... I have 5 WE421a and the one NIB I have exhibits some microphonics (although they dissipate with time, once warmed up after about an hour). It's a crap-shoot with tubes, with respect to quality in actual use.

As for comparing them with the TS 5998s that I have (I have 3), the 421a have much better timbre and are less bloomy with respect to bass; but I could see how one might prefer that signature with the HD-700s. .With the HD-650s, I find the 5998 to be too bass-heavy.

Consider looking for a Tung-Sol 6520: a nice sounding tube that will cost a lot less than the 5998.

May 4, 2015 at 1:46 PM Post #3,675 of 9,326
Im using the hd700 with fiio e18 (I know, new amp coming tuesday...) and soundstage is much better compared to hd650. Moreover, the brighter signature compared to 650 makes 700 do good at classic/opera. For example, mozart's requiem and symphony 9th movement (aka choral) have rather narrow/cramped soundstage in hd650 ( V shaped soundstage) and dark/muddy overall tone, while 700 have brighter sound with wider soundstage, which makes 700 sound better, at least in terms of my ear.

I'd recommend hd700 to classical music listeners, and 650 to everything-else genre.

+1 ... and to that, I would add: Jazz, especially sub-genre like Be-Bop (think: early Miles Davis), for the HD-700. Great, complimentary cans that both match to similar amps and respond well to tubes, in particular.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back