Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
May 3, 2015 at 1:20 AM Post #3,646 of 9,329
It's pretty sad that some people are still perpetuating HD700 hatred on other areas of the Internet (Reddit)...

http://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/34a5ui/weekly_headphone_discussion_11_sennheiser/

http://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/34k0sd/amazon_warehouse_hd700_for_399taxes/

I wouldn't mind if they at least demoed HD700 extensively with the proper amp or owned the HD700 for a while, but most of these haters only repeat the negative things they've read on head-fi, InnerFidelity and the other forum that cannot be named. 

May 3, 2015 at 1:25 AM Post #3,647 of 9,329
  It's pretty sad that some people are still perpetuating HD700 hatred on other areas of the Internet (Reddit)...

http://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/34a5ui/weekly_headphone_discussion_11_sennheiser/

http://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/34k0sd/amazon_warehouse_hd700_for_399taxes/

I wouldn't mind if they at least demoed HD700 extensively with the proper amp or owned the HD700 for a while, but most of these haters only repeat the what they heard on head-fi, InnerFidelity and the other forum that cannot be named. 

Well like I've said earlier, dislike for this can began because of the original $1,000 price point, which I don't personally think its worth. At the price point it is now, its a REAL solid purchase and has some things to offer if the HE 500 isnt your cup of tea. That treble is its achilles heel though.

May 3, 2015 at 1:38 AM Post #3,648 of 9,329
  Well like I've said earlier, dislike for this can began because of the original $1,000 price point, which I don't personally think its worth. At the price point it is now, its a REAL solid purchase and has some things to offer if the HE 500 isnt your cup of tea. That treble is its achilles heel though.

I'll repeat what I said in one of those threads regarding the $1,000 pricepoint:

I personally think that all high-end headphones are extremely overpriced, especially at their launch retail pricepoint. Manufacturers always set the original retail price at 300-500%+ the cost of production. Even after multiple price drops, they still make a ridiculous amount of profit on each headphone sold. That's why I generally wait a while to purchase headphones and IEMs. You don't want to be caught up in the hype, or in HD700's case, the hate train. It's best to get proper feedback from the masses and to demo extensively, than to rely on a select few sources. 

The HD700 hasn't been at $1,000 retail for nearly 2 years.

As for the treble, this is what I said about that:
Everyone has their preferences and everyone hears things differently. There are people who dislike any and all headphones. I've heard of complaints about HD800 being too analytical, having too much treble, mids and bass not being sufficient, HD800 is very picky with amps, etc. A lot of people have to resort to modding it to make it sound good. Thing is, the same people who criticize HD700 harshly are also some of the biggest HD800 fanboys (OJNeg for example) who have modded the crap out of their HD800 and bought ridiculously expensive DACs and amps to make it sound amazing. People who actually own the HD700 all know that it requires a good amp that pairs well with it to sound its best... just like all high-end headphones. Yet the same considerations and caveats applied to other high-end headphones are not afforded to HD700 by their critics.

May 3, 2015 at 1:51 AM Post #3,649 of 9,329

I wouldn't mind if they at least demoed HD700 extensively with the proper amp or owned the HD700 for a while, but most of these haters only repeat the negative things they've read on head-fi, InnerFidelity and the other forum that cannot be named. 

I don't understand it either. These are a very nice step up from the muddy HD650, the headphone people practically bow to.

May 3, 2015 at 2:48 AM Post #3,650 of 9,329
  I'm using my HD700 through my DacMagic and Bottlehead Crack and man, texture! Before this I thought the AD2000 was the most textured headphone driver I had heard, but these put it to shame. I'm really enjoying EDM at the moment. The great thing about these is they can sound very good in all genres, have this awesome low-mid texture, and are still pretty forgiving to some of my crappier tracks. 

Anyone else running these off a Crack?

I'm running them on a Crack, I think they are a great pairing. I have got my crack stock right now, and I'm hesitant to add the speedball. The background is pitch black quiet and the dynamics are great. The sound is so good stock, I'm thinking about buying a completely new kit with the speedball just to compare the two. I have a tung-sol 5998, and it does tighten the bass a bit, but I may prefer the 6080/6as7g sound with the HD700. I'm betting that the 5998 matches the HD650s a bit better than it does the 700s.

May 3, 2015 at 4:49 AM Post #3,652 of 9,329
  This is the best I can do at the moment.

Nice, might go to my friends autobody shop soon
dt880smile.png

May 3, 2015 at 6:12 AM Post #3,653 of 9,329
May 3, 2015 at 7:21 AM Post #3,654 of 9,329
  This is the best I can do at the moment.

Hey cCasper, that is getting WAY BETTER!!

l was about to say in our earlier 'conversation' that in photography, l great part of the final result is the 'use of light' when taking the pictures. You can have the best camera/lense and yet, if you don't know how to take advantage of illumination, results won't be that good. 

Before l saw these last pictures you took, l spent a bit of time correcting (to my eye) what l thought it was a yellow dominant in your original pict (as well as some touch in the lights). l hope l found the sweet spot and you like the corrected pict more than the original (and l hope it doesn't bother you that l modified your picture).

Original

Colour/light correction

May 3, 2015 at 7:27 AM Post #3,655 of 9,329

I'm running them on a Crack, I think they are a great pairing. I have got my crack stock right now, and I'm hesitant to add the speedball. The background is pitch black quiet and the dynamics are great. The sound is so good stock, I'm thinking about buying a completely new kit with the speedball just to compare the two. I have a tung-sol 5998, and it does tighten the bass a bit, but I may prefer the 6080/6as7g sound with the HD700. I'm betting that the 5998 matches the HD650s a bit better than it does the 700s.

Hey D4nger bird, l am warming up to the idea of building a 'BC'. l have never solder anything in my life but... l thought the same when l thought of building my PC and here it is running flawlessly... What do you think (now that you built your own)? Do you think l'll end up 'frying' myself with a capacitor or you think l can make it?

May 3, 2015 at 8:06 AM Post #3,656 of 9,329
Hey D4nger bird, l am warming up to the idea of building a 'BC'. l have never solder anything in my life but... l thought the same when l thought of building my PC and here it is running flawlessly... What do you think (now that you built your own)? Do you think l'll end up 'frying' myself with a capacitor or you think l can make it?

The process of building the Crack is pretty straight forward if you follow the directions exactly. I would recommend practicing soldering on some cheap speakers or something first though, you can't leave the soldering iron on the parts for extended periods of time, you only leave it there a couple seconds and be done with it, you can damage parts if they get too hot.

May 3, 2015 at 8:08 AM Post #3,657 of 9,329
Hey cCasper, that is getting WAY BETTER!!

l was about to say in our earlier 'conversation' that in photography, l great part of the final result is the 'use of light' when taking the pictures. You can have the best camera/lense and yet, if you don't know how to take advantage of illumination, results won't be that good. 

Before l saw these last pictures you took, l spent a bit of time correcting (to my eye) what l thought it was a yellow dominant in your original pict (as well as some touch in the lights). l hope l found the sweet spot and you like the corrected pict more than the original (and l hope it doesn't bother you that l modified your picture).

Original

Colour/light correction

The modified version looks way better! No, I don't mind. I am really planning on getting a better camera within the next few months. I will need it for something I have starting up here..

May 3, 2015 at 8:30 AM Post #3,659 of 9,329
The process of building the Crack is pretty straight forward if you follow the directions exactly. I would recommend practicing soldering on some cheap speakers or something first though, you can't leave the soldering iron on the parts for extended periods of time, you only leave it there a couple seconds and be done with it, you can damage parts if they get too hot.

Thanks for your advice 
smile.gif
 To be honest, l had in mind doing some practice before getting 'into business'. Let's see if l end up doing it or not. l became interested in a 'tube amp' (for the sake of having a totally different amp, just to change). l have in mind the LaFigaro 339 and Wa 2... but l'm not sure, yet. lt is more like a medium term idea, and l'm just getting into it. Otherwise, l will buy a pair of HD-800 which seem to sound amazing with my DAC/amp in balanced configuration. 

l'm glad you liked the picture :) By the way, l bought recently a Sony RX100 and l cannot be happier with it. l was looking for something pocket (no more D-SLR for me... simply too big), yet with a great image quality. There are 3 versions, l got the M2 (because l never found the plain RX100 where l live, otherwise that would've been my choice). Again, l can't be happier with it. Let me show you a couple of examples of night scenes. l took them standing, no tripod, as l was walking on the streets (and zero edition, just plain out of the camera). l hope you can appreciate the dynamic range and definition (remember: no tripod).

Tokyo

Kyoto

May 3, 2015 at 8:48 AM Post #3,660 of 9,329

They have a really good instruction manual, it would be hard to take a wrong turn. Watch Tyll's video at Innerfidelity on soldering the BH Crack, practice flowing solder a few times and you'll be fine. I actually really enjoyed the process, which is another reason why I'm seriously considering buying another kit with speedball instead of just adding a speedball to mine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back