Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Feb 9, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #2,821 of 9,326
  Yes it is interesting, my K712s (but not my K701s) were so similar but with better base extension and a wider soundstage to my D580/600s that I sold the Senns.
Having said that...the K712s and K701s are very similar and it's the newer pads that made all the difference.
Just to quote myself, mind you I kept the 712s and sold the 701s

I definitely preferred the K712's to my 650 as well, and eventually the HD700's over the K712's. I just returned the K712 yesterday back to amazon actually, although I do kind of miss it already. It has even a larger soundstage than the HD700, though I almost feel like it's more artificial. The bass on the K712 was more airy as well and addicting, but the HD700's bass has more impact and extends lower. I may get the K7XX massdrop edition somewhere down the line, as its so similar but half the cost as the K712. Just out of curiosity, I went to Headroom and looked at its FR graph of the HD700 vs the K712's, which represents what I hear. The K712 has a much larger jump around the same frequencies.

I agree with your assessment, though I have the DT990/600 and ATH-AD2000 for comparison. The AD2000 strikes me as being quite edgy, while the DT990/600 is easily brighter than my HD700. I couldn't understand why some are complaining that the HD700 is bright, it isn't at all. Perhaps my hearing is shot, but listening to my higher end cans, like the HD800 and K812, they are definitely brighter than the HD700 which I've found to be "darker/warmer sounding".

The HD700 isn't bright at all, it's considered a darker headphone than the HD800. I think what most people are complaining is its treble spikes at specific FR's, namely around 5k and 10k, which the HD800 is supposedly more smooth. Whatever it is, it doesn't bother me as much as other people. I think it makes the HD700 more energetic and EDM's more exciting. 

Feb 9, 2015 at 9:56 PM Post #2,822 of 9,326
Actually, I really don't know why people say the HD700's treble spikes are so unbearable compare to the HD800. The FR graph below shows very similar peaks around 6-7k, although the HD800 has a slightly milder peak from 4-5k.

Feb 10, 2015 at 12:16 AM Post #2,824 of 9,326
  Actually, I really don't know why people say the HD700's treble spikes are so unbearable compare to the HD800. The FR graph below shows very similar peaks around 6-7k, although the HD800 has a slightly milder peak from 4-5k.

It just means that graphs can't tell you anything! 
beerchug.gif

If you have a chance I'd strongly suggest you also look at the HD700s "CSD". If you look at that and compare it to the HD800, you'll understand why the HD700 sounds "brighter" 

Quote:

Seriously….what are you folks listening to…yes there is some musical information above 5kHz  but mostly comprised of upper overtones/harmonics and very weak ones at that. Tinnitus is from listening at sustained high volumes over a period of time, or one has unfortunately been subjected to an extremely loud sound, explosion..etc…..at close proximity.
And I am speaking from personal experience having worked in electronic music and recording since the seventies…as a composer..performer…even harmonic fundamentals are greatly diminished above 4kHz…think the highest note on the piano or even the piccolo.
So when I even hear folks complaining of a 6kHz peak when listening to music..not test tones…I’m sorry.... but I have to question the validity.   

If you're actually interested on frequencies of instruments, I like this site a lot. Also take any equalizer and play with the 8k-17k range and you'll quickly see these frequencies to affect the presentation of sound.
http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/resources/freqchart/main_display.htm

Feb 10, 2015 at 1:50 AM Post #2,825 of 9,326

It just means that graphs can't tell you anything! 
beerchug.gif

If you have a chance I'd strongly suggest you also look at the HD700s "CSD". If you look at that and compare it to the HD800, you'll understand why the HD700 sounds "brighter" 

The CSD graphs just tell you with a 3rd component which is duration, I thought brightness has to do with the overall decibel measured across the FR and not having to do with duration. The HD800 has an overall higher amplitude resulting in a brighter sound?

Feb 10, 2015 at 2:44 AM Post #2,826 of 9,326

The CSD graphs just tell you with a 3rd component which is duration, I thought brightness has to do with the overall decibel measured across the FR and not having to do with duration. The HD800 has an overall higher amplitude resulting in a brighter sound?

Definitely true. Although the peak treble looks similar, I think you also have to compare the treble to the rest of the response. On the HD800 the treble seems to be a bit more in balance with the bass which makes it less noticeable. Also on the HD700 the treble ring, extends, or 'lingers' for about twice as long as the HD800, which means it stands out more.

Feb 10, 2015 at 2:29 PM Post #2,827 of 9,326
I have owned the earlier version of the AKG and currently  own the HD700, BeyerDT770 pro and a mangled Audio Technia ADH AT700 and A set of "electrec earspeakers " by Stax.  Oh and I forgot a pristine carefully preserved set  labeled MONOPRICE and very little else.
It would be wonderful if the Monoprice HPs were the top of the pile  but sadly it is not.
The differences between the AKGs open airy throwing an enormous halographic stage.  At least with the tube gear I use (the disgraced SinglePower modded Extreme) is a wonderful experience.  The HD700 is no dog, it too brings the music to life in a very mannered way.  It is balanced across the spectrum.  As for those who think it's treble is out of whack are hearing what the treble as it is not overwhelmed by overstated bass.  I read a lot about the bass being anemic, I disagree.

Feb 10, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #2,828 of 9,326
I'm going crazy between my 2 versions of the HD700. I've been getting a LOT more treble fatigue on one than the other, and it seems overall brighter than the other as well. It doesn't make sense to me at all. Could each batch of HD700 vary that much in terms of FR dB's? Maybe that explains the difference in FR measurements across the board (especially purrin's). When I get treble fatigue on 700-A, I would switch to 700-B and the treble fatigue disappears. Wth? 700-A sounds more strident while 700-B sounds more smooth, I can't exactly tell a definite difference but I'm sure 700-A gives me more treble fatigue. Both boxes says version 1.0 with the same model number. Only difference is that I've been using 700-B more and have "broken in" the headphone for approximately 50 hours longer than 700-A, which I doubt will change anything. My ears if anything has been adjusted to the HD700 sound.

Feb 10, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #2,829 of 9,326
  I'm going crazy between my 2 versions of the HD700. I've been getting a LOT more treble fatigue on one than the other, and it seems overall brighter than the other as well. It doesn't make sense to me at all. Could each batch of HD700 vary that much in terms of FR dB's? Maybe that explains the difference in FR measurements across the board (especially purrin's). When I get treble fatigue on 700-A, I would switch to 700-B and the treble fatigue disappears. Wth? 700-A sounds more strident while 700-B sounds more smooth, I can't exactly tell a definite difference but I'm sure 700-A gives me more treble fatigue. Both boxes says version 1.0 with the same model number. Only difference is that I've been using 700-B more and have "broken in" the headphone for approximately 50 hours longer than 700-A, which I doubt will change anything. My ears if anything has been adjusted to the HD700 sound.

Certainly could be a "bad batch" or maybe sennheiser found a way to tone down the treble. My pair on my rig doesn't sound as bad as the first few times I heard it, but there's a lot of variable in there.

How close are the serial numbers?

Feb 10, 2015 at 7:16 PM Post #2,830 of 9,326
  I'm going crazy between my 2 versions of the HD700.

Just might be psychoacoustics.
Try this…. put a marker, piece of tape, elastic etc on one of the cables, have a piece of paper and pen handy…… turn off all lighting, mix up the phones in the dark, place one to your right and one to your left,  choose one phone and listen to the tracks you find bright then listen to the other phone with the same piece of music… and mark on the paper “left” or “right” for the one that sounds brighter. ….then turn on the lights to see which phone you found bright.
Then turn off the lights and repeat the above procedure as many times as you like to see if there is a consistency, then you can go crazy.
biggrin.gif

Feb 10, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #2,831 of 9,326
I'm looking to step up my headphone game so to speak and the HD700 is one I'm considering but I'm afraid it will sound to much like the HD600 I have. Is there anyone with both and if so do they sound more different or more alike in their sound signature? If the HD700 is a good upgrade over the HD600 I might sell them if the 2 sound to similar.    

Feb 11, 2015 at 12:13 AM Post #2,832 of 9,326
I'm looking to step up my headphone game so to speak and the HD700 is one I'm considering but I'm afraid it will sound to much like the HD600 I have. Is there anyone with both and if so do they sound more different or more alike in their sound signature? If the HD700 is a good upgrade over the HD600 I might sell them if the 2 sound to similar.    

I went through 600, 650, 700, and ended on 800. Someone else will be able to compare signatures for you better, but before they can let us know what amp, if any, you're using. It will help to determine what kind of signature you can expect. Whether you'll keep both will really be up to you and how much use you'll get out of both.

But I can say that the 700's are a great step up in build quality. The little sticker on the 600s that says HD600 drove me a bit crazy. 700s look like some serious headphones and sound great. I have serious upgraditis though and ended up with the 800s. On that note, I've seen some cheap hd800s used lately. (For not much more than new 700s)

Feb 11, 2015 at 12:32 AM Post #2,833 of 9,326
I went through 600, 650, 700, and ended on 800. Someone else will be able to compare signatures for you better, but before they can let us know what amp, if any, you're using. It will help to determine what kind of signature you can expect. Whether you'll keep both will really be up to you and how much use you'll get out of both.

But I can say that the 700's are a great step up in build quality. The little sticker on the 600s that says HD600 drove me a bit crazy. 700s look like some serious headphones and sound great. I have serious upgraditis though and ended up with the 800s. On that note, I've seen some cheap hd800s used lately. (For not much more than new 700s)

I use the Schiit Vali connected to a Hifiman HM-601LE but I'm thinking of getting a Lyr2 once I up grade my HP.

I've thought about a used HD800 as I've seen them under $1000 from time to time but I think the 700 with its warmer signature is a better fit for me though it is very tempting to go for the big boy.

Feb 11, 2015 at 12:53 AM Post #2,834 of 9,326
I use the Schiit Vali connected to a Hifiman HM-601LE but I'm thinking of getting a Lyr2 once I up grade my HP.

I've thought about a used HD800 as I've seen them under $1000 from time to time but I think the 700 with its warmer signature is a better fit for me though it is very tempting to go for the big boy.

I personally haven't used the Vali, but have heard good things about the Lyr2. I'm not sure how the h800s will be with lyr2, but they would definitely need something better than Vali to shine. And don't be afraid to go for used stuff. It took me awhile to go the used route, but haven't looked back.

Feb 11, 2015 at 5:51 AM Post #2,835 of 9,326
I personally haven't used the Vali, but have heard good things about the Lyr2. I'm not sure how the h800s will be with lyr2, but they would definitely need something better than Vali to shine. And don't be afraid to go for used stuff. It took me awhile to go the used route, but haven't looked back.

I have tried the Vali and your instincts are correct, go for the Lyr 2 or even the Valhalla 2. As much as I like the Vali it does have its limitations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back