Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Feb 9, 2015 at 8:24 AM Post #2,806 of 9,326

I find with the HD700, the peaks at 5-6k don't bother me. It's the brightness at 10k that gets me the most. I've noticed that my tinnitus has really flared up in the last few weeks. Went from hearing it during silence, to now hearing it doing anything.

Actually debating selling the HD700, and tossing in some cash to get the HD800 instead.

Seriously….what are you folks listening to…yes there is some musical information above 5kHz  but mostly comprised of upper overtones/harmonics and very weak ones at that. Tinnitus is from listening at sustained high volumes over a period of time, or one has unfortunately been subjected to an extremely loud sound, explosion..etc…..at close proximity.
And I am speaking from personal experience having worked in electronic music and recording since the seventies…as a composer..performer…even harmonic fundamentals are greatly diminished above 4kHz…think the highest note on the piano or even the piccolo.
So when I even hear folks complaining of a 6kHz peak when listening to music..not test tones…I’m sorry.... but I have to question the validity.   

Feb 9, 2015 at 8:45 AM Post #2,807 of 9,326

Seriously….what are you folks listening to…yes there is some musical information above 5kHz  but mostly comprised of upper overtones/harmonics and very weak ones at that. Tinnitus is from listening at sustained high volumes over a period of time, or one has unfortunately been subjected to an extremely loud sound, explosion..etc…..at close proximity.
And I am speaking from personal experience having worked in electronic music and recording since the seventies…as a composer..performer…even harmonic fundamentals are greatly diminished above 4kHz…think the highest note on the piano or even the piccolo.
So when I even hear folks complaining of a 6kHz peak when listening to music..not test tones…I’m sorry.... but I have to question the validity.   

l admit it surprised me that "10k" annoyance that BobFiggins mentioned. But then, l remind myself: "We all hear differently"
darthsmile.gif
 - 
triportsad.gif
 Besides, we are using different gear (despite same HPs) which also changes the situation...

l guess, l am lucky l am enjoying my 700s a lot (although l am still waiting for the bloody cable to be delivered... it's taking ages!).

Feb 9, 2015 at 9:02 AM Post #2,808 of 9,326
I’m not denying folks may be experiencing some sort of peak for what ever reason, I just doubt very much it’s above 5kHz…maybe more in the vicinity between 2-4kHz and probably due to an over equalization by the studio engineers or the end user.

Feb 9, 2015 at 9:19 AM Post #2,809 of 9,326
As I said before, the HD700 does good quality treble. Some other cans don't. And then it can get nasty for some. Btw. different native language speakers have a different frequency sensitivity. That could also explain someone's preferences.

Feb 9, 2015 at 9:31 AM Post #2,810 of 9,326
l admit it surprised me that "10k" annoyance that BobFiggins mentioned. But then, l remind myself: "We all hear differently" :darthsmile:  - :triportsad:  Besides, we are using different gear (despite same HPs) which also changes the situation...

l guess, l am lucky l am enjoying my 700s a lot (although l am still waiting for the bloody cable to be delivered... it's taking ages!).

You mean this cable?

Feb 9, 2015 at 10:19 AM Post #2,811 of 9,326
  I’m not denying folks may be experiencing some sort of peak for what ever reason, I just doubt very much it’s above 5kHz…maybe more in the vicinity between 2-4kHz and probably due to an over equalization by the studio engineers or the end user.

Equalizing 10kHz down helps a lot. Though there's still some sharpness that remains. Tried pushing 6kHz down, didn't seem to do anything but make the sound colored in a different way. There's also the possibility that I've been listening to music so much lately it has not helped my tinnitus any. Reading about people having issues with Tinnitus and the HD700 a while ago may have lead me in the wrong direction.

Doesn't help that I have enough money laying around to get an HD800 and an amp/dac, or get an amp/dac for my HD700 and have money left over for important things. You could almost say I was looking for an excuse. Though every time I read a review saying the HD800 is less fun and exciting sounding I'm a bit turned off. Not to mention some of my music isn't mastered really well and already doesn't sound so great on the HD700. Probably wouldn't be able to stand it on the HD800.

Anyways, back to the first point. I've also noticed that with the HD700 unequalized, there's an audible noise floor, coupled with the hissing sound of vocals, and drums being jarring. Whenever I push 10k down, it goes away for the most part. When I say the most part, some music, such as "The Killing Moon", are not affected highly by the adjustment and still come off too sharp.

Would be amazing to have an Asgard 2, Valhalla 2, and Lyr in front of me to test, and buy the one that sounds the best to me. Can't help but feel that I'd probably like all three, but I'd never know what I was missing if one would have been better.

Feb 9, 2015 at 11:14 AM Post #2,812 of 9,326

Equalizing 10kHz down helps a lot. Though there's still some sharpness that remains. Tried pushing 6kHz down,.......................

Hi Bob

There’s do denying some recordings are problematic, cymbals for example can and do produce multiple frequencies way above the fundamentals and very difficult to record correctly and the problem is compounded with mediocre DACs or sub par components at the amplification stage.
Post equalization by the end user may reduce but will not ameliorate the problem, especially with high quality/revealing phones and sensitive hearing.
My rule of thumb is that by listening to a lot of high quality recordings that do carry a lot of high frequency energy and do not display any negative attributes with the equipment at hand it’s obvious its not the headphones at fault as they produce no signal on their own and one can only blame the recording if and when certain frequencies are bothersome. If on the other hand the sound is continually peaky or annoying and the ancillary equipment is up to par then ones has all the right to blame the headphones, but IMHO it is not the case with HD700s

(Ps: I'll check out 'The Killing Moon", as I have it on a few CDs and vinyl just to see..... I mean hear.
smily_headphones1.gif
)

As for moving up to the HD800s, they are an accomplished headphone, but for day to day listening and just chilling out I found myself gravitating more toward the 700s and the AKG K712s…but that’s a personal preference.

Feb 9, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #2,813 of 9,326

(Ps: I'll check out 'The Killing Moon", as I have it on a few CDs and vinyl just to see..... I mean hear.
smily_headphones1.gif
)

The song sounded just fine from the SinglePower MPX3. Though from my Schiit Fulla, just pain. Probably going to go with my original plan and get the Schiit Modi 2 Uber and Valhalla 2. Really want to get the Bifrost Uber to get a matching stack, but from what I've read the sound difference is only around 5-10% with the most analytical ears. Not necessarily worth it for the price difference, to me. Had been saving up for the HD800 and an amp/dac, but you're on the money when stating the HD700 is for day to day usage. I get the feeling I would be incredibly wowed by the HD800, but any recording not mastered, or recorded well would just be annoying to listen to.

Feb 9, 2015 at 11:38 AM Post #2,815 of 9,326

Equalizing 10kHz down helps a lot. Though there's still some sharpness that remains. Tried pushing 6kHz down, didn't seem to do anything but make the sound colored in a different way. There's also the possibility that I've been listening to music so much lately it has not helped my tinnitus any. Reading about people having issues with Tinnitus and the HD700 a while ago may have lead me in the wrong direction.

Doesn't help that I have enough money laying around to get an HD800 and an amp/dac, or get an amp/dac for my HD700 and have money left over for important things. You could almost say I was looking for an excuse. Though every time I read a review saying the HD800 is less fun and exciting sounding I'm a bit turned off. Not to mention some of my music isn't mastered really well and already doesn't sound so great on the HD700. Probably wouldn't be able to stand it on the HD800.

Anyways, back to the first point. I've also noticed that with the HD700 unequalized, there's an audible noise floor, coupled with the hissing sound of vocals, and drums being jarring. Whenever I push 10k down, it goes away for the most part. When I say the most part, some music, such as "The Killing Moon", are not affected highly by the adjustment and still come off too sharp.

Would be amazing to have an Asgard 2, Valhalla 2, and Lyr in front of me to test, and buy the one that sounds the best to me. Can't help but feel that I'd probably like all three, but I'd never know what I was missing if one would have been better.

Then, if l were you, l would buy a TOTL DAC/amp. l would go the 2nd option for now (however, you will hardly have any money left for those 'important things' you mentioned. In any case, what can be more important that an amazing DAC/amp?) 
confused_face_2.gif
o2smile.gif

Feb 9, 2015 at 12:04 PM Post #2,816 of 9,326
smily_headphones1.gif
)

The song sounded just fine from the SinglePower MPX3. Though from my Schiit Fulla, just pain. ......

Hi Bob

Took a quick listen to “The Killing Moon”, hard to tell if it was the microphone used or a bit of EQ on the recording end but there is a nasalness and pronounced sibilance which is part of the original recording process so you are not imagining it. The CD/digital versions did produce what could be on some systems problematic but unfortunately like a lot of earlier analogue recordings to CD…. the original digital transfers were/are absolutely horrible with regards to brightness, sibilance and undue harshness but.... the original vinyl/analogue selection faired much better …..on a positive note a lot of these older analogue to digital  transfers are now finally being re-mastered.

Just to add ....... listening the same tracks with the AKG K712s the brightness, sibilance was much better and therefore they maybe, although IMO not as accomplished as the HD700s, a good alternative.
But I still stick to my observations that any short comings with HD700s is more due to the recording, source and amplification.

Feb 9, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #2,817 of 9,326
. I get the feeling I would be incredibly wowed by the HD800, but any recording not mastered, or recorded well would just be annoying to listen to.

I did not find HD700s that less analytical than the HD800s, they are IMHO just a touch warmer overall or less cool in their presentation and maybe still too analytical for some
frown.gif
, as many have noted...somewhere in between the 600 and the 800s.

Feb 9, 2015 at 6:13 PM Post #2,818 of 9,326

Hi Bob

Took a quick listen to “The Killing Moon”, hard to tell if it was the microphone used or a bit of EQ on the recording end but there is a nasalness and pronounced sibilance which is part of the original recording process so you are not imagining it. The CD/digital versions did produce what could be on some systems problematic but unfortunately like a lot of earlier analogue recordings to CD…. the original digital transfers were/are absolutely horrible with regards to brightness, sibilance and undue harshness but.... the original vinyl/analogue selection faired much better …..on a positive note a lot of these older analogue to digital  transfers are now finally being re-mastered.

Just to add ....... listening the same tracks with the AKG K712s the brightness, sibilance was much better and therefore they maybe, although IMO not as accomplished as the HD700s, a good alternative.
But I still stick to my observations that any short comings with HD700s is more due to the recording, source and amplification.

That's interesting, as much as I loved the K712's, their brightness and sibilance was greater than the HD700's. Coming from the K712 to the HD700, I noticed immediately that the HD700's trebles weren't as harsh, and it's darker/warmer sounding than the K712. 

Feb 9, 2015 at 7:05 PM Post #2,819 of 9,326

That's interesting, as much as I loved the K712's, their brightness and sibilance was greater than the HD700's. Coming from the K712 to the HD700, I noticed immediately that the HD700's trebles weren't as harsh, and it's darker/warmer sounding than the K712. 

Yes it is interesting, my K712s (but not my K701s) were so similar but with better base extension and a wider soundstage to my D580/600s that I sold the Senns.
Having said that...the K712s and K701s are very similar and it's the newer pads that made all the difference.
Just to quote myself, mind you I kept the 712s and sold the 701s
  Well eat my hat and chuck me in the river, I should have done this right from the start and feel really stupid.
Swapping pads between the K701’s and K712s more or less leveled the playing, meaning the K701s with the new 712 pads, for all intents and purposes, now sound like the 712s, including the bass and the well worn 701 pads on the K712s has given them all the negative attributes I noted earlier on the K701s.
I know new/different pads can make a difference, but the change was startling!
Now to go crawl in a hole somewhere and re-read all 217 pages of this thread.
redface.gif

Feb 9, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #2,820 of 9,326

I agree with your assessment, though I have the DT990/600 and ATH-AD2000 for comparison. The AD2000 strikes me as being quite edgy, while the DT990/600 is easily brighter than my HD700. I couldn't understand why some are complaining that the HD700 is bright, it isn't at all. Perhaps my hearing is shot, but listening to my higher end cans, like the HD800 and K812, they are definitely brighter than the HD700 which I've found to be "darker/warmer sounding".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back