Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Feb 13, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #2,851 of 9,329
  Nothing wrong with the HD600s, but think of the HD700s as a much needed make over after almost 2 decades in production (considering they used the same capsule as HD580s, then over 20 years), with newly designed capsules, baffles, ear pads etc. I will not say new and improved as the consensus is not unanimous, but IMHO they are… with clearer details, better base extension, tighter imaging, a more linear sound field with distinct layering but still retaining the Sennheiser signature sound.

HD700, or HD800, is one way to go. Maybe fruitful but also expensive. I went the other way to get some diversity in the form of sound signature, K612 Pro from AKG for half the price of a pair of HD600:s. It gave me the different sound i sort of sought after, larger soundstage, more open, more analytical, much lower distorsion in the lower registers down to the subbass, But I still think HD600 is more "musical", it sounds VERY alive, but K612 Pro does indeed sound very correct.

Anyway, K612 Pro intrigues me for critical listening, while HD600 still is unbeaten for relaxed and for just enjoying listening. It is also more forgiving both for source and for the recording, K612 Pro on the other hand is great for OP-amp rolling or comparing amps as it is merciless in revealing any type of bad matching(or less good recording, no big surprise that Quincy Jones sounds stellar with K612 as AKG has a Q702 quincy signature-can). With HD600 I couldn't hear that JRC2114 as a buffer(on Essence ST) has a slightly harsh treble, while overall good sounding, but with K612 Pro it was easy to spot that LM4562NA has much lower treble distorsion, to the extent of not even sounding harsh(but with a overall slightly lighter/thinner sound sound than JRC2114).

HD700 may be even better in this regard, but for those seeking that different type of sound K612 is a nice budget - but very competent - alternative and having those more modern technical aspects as lower bass distorsion(but at the same time harder to drive, there's always a con). But happy as i am I guess I will, at one time or the other, be caught hoarding HD700(or HD800) as well  ...  :wink:

Feb 14, 2015 at 7:15 AM Post #2,852 of 9,329
I was just wondering: has anyone tried aftermarket cables with the HD700?

Feb 14, 2015 at 8:10 AM Post #2,853 of 9,329
$_57.JPG

I got me this one two weeks ago. It is from an Ebayer from China. Mine is 1,2 meter long. For me it sounds pretty much the same as the original cable. I got it only because the original cable is far too ling and I always need an adapter to fit my amps and payers. This one has a 3.5 mm plug with a screw on 6.35 mm adapter. The quality seems to be flawless so far. The headphone side plugs also fit perfect. Price was around 82 USD. You need to google for:

NEW Replacement Audio upgrade Cable For Sennheiser HD700 HD 700 Headphone

seller name is low20101020

$T2eC16JHJHsFGlGzglvJBScWUionvg~~60_57.JPG

Feb 18, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #2,854 of 9,329
Just got the WA7, it has succeeded to completely take away the 700's treble fatigue. Their synergy is absolutely superb.

Feb 18, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #2,856 of 9,329
Going to sell mine. These headphones have been major let down for me. Paying such high price for sibilance. Yes they have amazing comfort. Now I can't even put my old headset on. It's so uncomfortable. Instant headache from high clamping force on eyeglasses. Even when listening at very low volumes (8 o clock at NFB-15) listening fatigue comes fast and headache follows.

I understand how these work on traditional music since there isn't much going at high frequencies. But music made with synthesizer is just unbearable.

Aside from comfort and sound stage LCD2F wins in every other aspect. I have yet to experience listening fatigue even with higher volumes.

Feb 18, 2015 at 9:43 PM Post #2,858 of 9,329
  But neck fatigue might be an issue.  I loved the LCD2 sound... just not a fan of the fit and weight.   Cant wait to try the HD700 vs the EL8.

Yes. They feel very heavy and get uncomfortable after hours of listening. Bought the leather extra headband for them. Waiting for it to arrive. It should distribute the weight more evenly. But still they are heavy.

I was waiting for EL8 too. Until I saw the specs. 460 grams. LCD-2 weights 490 grams. That's whopping 30 grams of difference. Until Audeze gets their **** together looks like newer Hifiman models are the only way to go if you want comfort and planars.

Feb 19, 2015 at 1:58 AM Post #2,860 of 9,329

Are there any similarities to sound between Hifiman and Audeze?

Most likely. HE-560's are brighter than LCD-2's. If treble is your thing HE-560 will probably be better. I do not know anything about HE-400i.

When I auditioned HE-560 and HD700 at hifi store HE-560 sounded phenomenal. Warmer than HD700 but still clear highs. Would pick it over HD700 any day but it costs more than twice the price. Can't really compare HE-560 and LCD2F. Different setup and it was just brief audition.

Feb 19, 2015 at 4:13 AM Post #2,862 of 9,329
Again, I hear all this talk of the terribad treble spike on the HD700 and I'd go, "Wha.....? Treble spike?" Seriously, either I got a 'defective' pair or Senn has done something about the treble spike. I compare my HD700 to my AKG812 and HD800, and even my DT990/600, the HD700 comes out sounding somewhat warm against them, yes, treble is there but not at all to the point where I'd be annoyed with it, nor am I fatigued after a long session. The can with the highest treble in my collection is the ATH-AD2000, definitely edgy, but again, not to the point where I'd get annoyed, though admittedly, I do get treble fatigue after an hour or so.

Feb 19, 2015 at 4:15 AM Post #2,863 of 9,329
  Again, I hear all this talk of the terribad treble spike on the HD700 and I'd go, "Wha.....? Treble spike?" Seriously, either I got a 'defective' pair or Senn has done something about the treble spike. I compare my HD700 to my AKG812 and HD800, and even my DT990/600, the HD700 comes out sounding somewhat warm against them, yes, treble is there but not at all to the point where I'd be annoyed with it, nor am I fatigued after a long session. The can with the highest treble in my collection is the ATH-AD2000, definitely edgy, but again, not to the point where I'd get annoyed, though admittedly, I do get treble fatigue after an hour or so.

As far as I know, my HD700 is a recently manufactured pair. Treble spike at 9-9.5k is horrible. I have to push 9.5k down -8dB just to remove it. The Valhalla 2 doesn't even tame it, not even slightly.

EDIT: Just to be clear, the treble spike is so bad, that I have to assume either my computer/phone both have issues sending audio to my setup (tried USB/Optical), or my HD700 didn't win the frequency contest when it was created. Without EQ'ing 9.5k down -8dB there is a high noise floor, and the "sss" sound from singers comes across as so harsh it seems distorted. I'm not a golden eared audiophile, if there's a treble spike around 6k, I don't even notice it, I'm not picky like that. Though I do know pain when I hear it.

On the other hand, when paired with the SinglePower MPX3 at another Head-Fier's house, there was no harshness at all. This weekend I'll be testing my setup on another computer to see if there's an issue with my source.

Feb 19, 2015 at 4:35 AM Post #2,864 of 9,329

The DT880 and DT990 are notoriously treble hot headphones as well, so not hard to imagine that the HD700 don't sound too hot, especially if those headphone's treble doesn't bother you much.

Surprised you find the AD2000 edgy. I kind of miss my pair. Just remember that smooth midrange.

Feb 19, 2015 at 7:29 AM Post #2,865 of 9,329
Hello there,

Reterminated (XLR) stock cable arrived. The HD-700 have been taken to a whole new level of clarity, soundstage, separation and... bass (bit more and better definition). l don't know about other DAC/amps but, in mine, the balanced vs SE difference is very noticeable. l'm super happy!  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back