Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Feb 19, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #2,882 of 9,329
As a relative newbie I've gotten the impression that the HD700s are the Cinderella or "bridesmaid" of the Sennheiser line. I'll have to try a pair and see for myself. I already have the HD598s and HD650s.

Feb 19, 2015 at 3:53 PM Post #2,884 of 9,329
  There are mixed opinions about every headphone but this one really seems extreme.

Well having a decent source does help....
wink.gif

Feb 19, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #2,885 of 9,329

I got VERY tired of reading what other people think.  Best thing I did was stop.  I'm close to leaving this thread also, but here I am, for now.

Interesting.  Just curious what type of discussion you would like to see.  The two things that irritated me over there were non-stop discussion about Schitt gear and real hostility in many of the posts.

Feb 19, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #2,886 of 9,329
You're making me think.  I like that.  That thread didn't do any of that, nor do many other threads here anymore.

It doesn't have to be positive, it doesn't have to be negative.  But I don't care to read two or five people going on and on and on and on and on about a new amp they got making everything awesome all of a sudden, and I'm not particularly talking about you, donlin.  Or a cable.  I'm too old for that, and I'm only (right?) 39.  I took a moment to myself just now and though of the word I think might sum it for me, saturation.  I'm over saturated with all this.  Just let me be and let me listen.

I like Head Fi.  It's why I visit.  The influence it projects towards people is amazing.  I am realizing that.  Finally.

Feb 19, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #2,887 of 9,329
  You're making me think.  I like that.  That thread didn't do any of that, nor do many other threads here anymore.

It doesn't have to be positive, it doesn't have to be negative.  But I don't care to read two or five people going on and on and on and on and on about a new amp they got making everything awesome all of a sudden, and I'm not particularly talking about you, donlin.  Or a cable.  I'm too old for that, and I'm only (right?) 39.  I took a moment to myself just now and though of the word I think might sum it for me, saturation.  I'm over saturated with all this.  Just let me be and let me listen.

I like Head Fi.  It's why I visit.  The influence it projects towards people is amazing.  I am realizing that.  Finally.

Thanks for the thoughtful response.  I know I tend to overpraise gear that I'm excited about.

Feb 19, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #2,888 of 9,329

I  entered the world of HeadFi just when the Sennheiser HD800 was released. What a hype and what a **** storm at the same time.......The only reliable thing here seems to be that each and every new can get compared to the HD600/650 someday. Even the new Audeze EL-8 got already compared to the HD650. Makes me think about buying it again....

Feb 19, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #2,889 of 9,329

I  entered the world of HeadFi just when the Sennheiser HD800 was released. What a hype and what a **** storm at the same time.......The only reliable thing here seems to be that each and every new can get compared to the HD600/650 someday. Even the new Audeze EL-8 got already compared to the HD650. Makes me think about buying it again....

I came back to the HD650 after several years in flagship land and it's right up there with any of them depending on your priorities.

Feb 19, 2015 at 4:31 PM Post #2,890 of 9,329

Thanks for the thoughtful response.  I know I tend to overpraise gear that I'm excited about.

Overpraise was the english term I was missing, when I read the EL-8 thread that got highjacked by only one single person. And all the fanboys are gratefull to him. Wonder what Jude is feeling about such things. For me at least that thread is total out of control.

Feb 19, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #2,891 of 9,329

I came back to the HD650 after several years in flagship land and it's right up there with any of them depending on your priorities.

My priorities come more or less down to decent unannoying presentation combined with great comfort. Plus a short cable witha 3.5 mm plug. The stock cable of the Sennheiser HD600/650/700/800 are simply too long for me and have the wrong plug. But that can be cured easily as we all know. I think I don't ask for to much, do I?

Feb 19, 2015 at 5:04 PM Post #2,893 of 9,329

Originally Posted by donlin /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I agree with this. After owning many flagships, I found myself more and more reaching for "mid-tier" headphones. They certainly don't sound as good. They don't get the 'wow' factor like some others, but also, they don't do a lot wrong. I don't have to have a special amplifier just for one pair of headphones, I can throw my whole library on shuffle without worrying about a poorly recorded track causing some ear burn. They just sound great without a lot of flaws.

Also, I think the HD650 is so often compared to since it is one of the more ubiquitous headphones.

Feb 19, 2015 at 8:26 PM Post #2,894 of 9,329

I agree with this. After owning many flagships, I found myself more and more reaching for "mid-tier" headphones. They certainly don't sound as good. They don't get the 'wow' factor like some others, but also, they don't do a lot wrong. I don't have to have a special amplifier just for one pair of headphones, I can throw my whole library on shuffle without worrying about a poorly recorded track causing some ear burn. They just sound great without a lot of flaws.

Also, I think the HD650 is so often compared to since it is one of the more ubiquitous headphones.

I've been listening to the HD650 and HD700 in a different light with the WA7. While I think it enhances both HP's qualities, making the 650 less claustrophobic and less boomy, and the 700's treble smoother and overall a more emotional presentation, in the end I still prefer the 700. I tried the 650 with so many different amps, and really tried to like it, but no matter what I run it with I just can't stand it after a short period. Sure it's smooth sounding, ubiquitous with the music selection, relaxing, and incredibly sensitive to amp upgrades, but it just sounds too thick and claustrophobic and the treble is nonexistent. The 700 is the one with more resolution, larger soundstage and better imaging, more comfortable, better bass extension, more realistic presentation, the amazing speaker-like sound, and now with the WA7 I can literally listen to it forever. Comfort and weight of the headphone is of the utmost importance to me, and I don't think I can find a better sounding HP under 300g than the HD700. Even "upgrading" to the HD800 would be 60g heavier which will be debatable in terms of whether the sound quality improvement is worth the weight.

Feb 19, 2015 at 9:11 PM Post #2,895 of 9,329
Had a question for all of you. I came across these and thought I might as well give them a look to see if they would suit me. I am looking for open headphones that would satisfy a basshead, and, wile I already have an idea of what to get, these still peaked my interest. I already know these likely cannot do that...but, that's assuming it's taken for what it is. So my question is, can these me amplified (with bass boost) and EQed to basshead levels? I'm not an extreme basshead, but I definitely like having bass there as well as a nice soundstage and airy sound. I had DT990s, but they didn't have enough bass (quality was good, impact was good, quantity was the Achilles heel) and could not be amplified much, so I am continuing the search. In regards to bass I like it rich and deep rather than punchy and loud, but the quantity has to be there. I've partially ruled these out already, but though I might as well ask. If these cannot do that, how about the 650s since they seem to be comparable? Thanks in advanced for any and all help. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back