Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Nov 24, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #2,191 of 9,298
+1 for bottlehead crack, it's amazing with the HD 700. Also, I just so happen to have one for sale :D

Only selling because I've fallen hard for my DNA Sonett 2.

Nov 24, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #2,192 of 9,298
HD 700 and OG DNA Sonett are pretty nice.  
ph34r.gif

Nov 25, 2014 at 12:10 AM Post #2,193 of 9,298
These were my first expensive headphones purchase, that I rather naively purchased at the MSRP of $1000 at the time. That was about an year and half ago. Since then I have gone through various headphones (T90, HE-500, ESP950, K812), but I have settled down with the HD800, which I have kept for almost a year now, and have no intention of parting ways with it. That said I bought the HD700 again at that $325 price knowing I could probably selling without losing money. I'm curious how my impression of it change with better trained ears and better gear. Last I remembered on the HD700, I felt it was grainy compared to the HE-500/T90 which I also had at the same time for a while. I don't graininess will be as big of an issue for me now that I listen almost exclusively to vinyls. Also, despite criticisms of the treble issue, I didn't find it to be an issue for me. At the time I was using WA7 and Crack with the HD700. Now I'll be using the Smash+Questyle CMA800R. I'll post some impressions once I get them.

Some past, less experienced impressions I had:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/607079/beyerdynamic-t90-d/900#post_9758173

Nov 25, 2014 at 10:21 AM Post #2,194 of 9,298
  The Schiit Vali is pretty decent with the 700s.  I very much enjoy the 600, and have the 650 and 800 too.  Mjolnir and 600 is killer.  But this, the 700 and Vali is totally doable.  There's a perceived high level of resolution that's interesting to listen to, but not so overly detailed like the 800 can be for me. 

Thanks for that info, I have a pair coming and I need a stop gap until I have the time to build a Crack.  I'm sure there will be some Amazon gift cards in my holiday future so this will hold me over.

Nov 25, 2014 at 6:28 PM Post #2,195 of 9,298
Any recommendations for an aftermarket cable? The stock cable is absolutely unmanageable.
I have my eye on a Norne Skoll but it is a little bit more than I'd truly like to spend on a cable.
I'm looking for something in the 10 - 12ft length for <$200 with a similar aesthetic to either the 
Norne cables or the Stefan AudioArt cables. Moon Audio Blue Dragon has also been on my radar,
I'm just not a huge fan of that aesthetic and would prefer something sleeved and subtle. 

Nov 25, 2014 at 8:16 PM Post #2,196 of 9,298
  Any recommendations for an aftermarket cable? The stock cable is absolutely unmanageable.
I have my eye on a Norne Skoll but it is a little bit more than I'd truly like to spend on a cable.
I'm looking for something in the 10 - 12ft length for <$200 with a similar aesthetic to either the 
Norne cables or the Stefan AudioArt cables. Moon Audio Blue Dragon has also been on my radar,
I'm just not a huge fan of that aesthetic and would prefer something sleeved and subtle. 

You may want to talk to Ted over at Headphone Lounge. I am going to have him make mine. He has great quality and nice prices. I have some CIEM cables for my AK as well as a 4pin to AK 2.5 conversion cable which are really nice.

Nov 26, 2014 at 6:54 AM Post #2,197 of 9,298
How do vocal's compare to Sennheiser HD558's and HD600's, Fidelio X1/X2's? I think I received a defective HD700 last time as mentioned before and the vocals were more recessed than Beyerdynamic's DT770's which are known for recessed mids. Are the HD700 mids recessed as well? Are they similar to HD600's? More forward or less forward than HD600's, 558's, X1/X2's?

Nov 26, 2014 at 9:15 AM Post #2,198 of 9,298

I have the DHC Molecule cable for mine.  It should be right around that $180-$200 if I remember correctly.  Its a good quality cable.

Nov 26, 2014 at 9:48 AM Post #2,199 of 9,298

I have the DHC Molecule cable for mine.  It should be right around that $180-$200 if I remember correctly.  Its a good quality cable.

I've looked at DHC as well and again I'm not a big fan of the aesthetic, so far my favorite looking cable has been the Stefan AudioArt E-Series. Maybe I will just wait it out. 

You may want to talk to Ted over at Headphone Lounge. I am going to have him make mine. He has great quality and nice prices. I have some CIEM cables for my AK as well as a 4pin to AK 2.5 conversion cable which are really nice.

Thanks for the recommendation. 

Nov 26, 2014 at 9:49 AM Post #2,200 of 9,298

If you 
  I've looked at DHC as well and again I'm not a big fan of the aesthetic, so far my favorite looking cable has been the Stefan AudioArt E-Series. Maybe I will just wait it out. 

Thanks for the recommendation. 

You can order the DHC cables with black sheathing, it looks just like SAA E-series and Equinox cables.

Nov 26, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #2,203 of 9,298
Hi, First post I am waiting for my HD700's too arrive to replace my HD598's. i have a Fiio e17,eo9k setup but want to buy something nicer soon and i have narrowed it down to a Marantz hd-cac1, musical fidelity m1s cac and particularly the Teac ud-301 but i am unable to listen to any prior to buying (deployed in the middle of nowhere thank god for amazon) does anyone have any of these or any advice? i usually listen to high quality rock recordings and a little loud.   thanks

Nov 26, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #2,204 of 9,298
I was lucky enough to get in on the Like New + coupon code discount last week and order a pair of HD700s for $325.  I already had the Bottlehead Crack + Speedball on order back when the Speedball upgrade was only $20.  The folks at Bottlehead must have had a pile of orders since it's been over a month and the thing hasn't even shipped yet.

Anyway, I'm looking for advice from folks who use the HD700 with the Bottlehead Crack as to what USB DAC would pair well with that combo.  I'm pretty serious about getting a good deal / value for my money.  Some contenders in my list so far include the ODAC, CDAC+, Schiit Modi, HRT Music Streamer II+, and Audioquest Dragonfly 1.2.  I'm getting into DIY a bit, but I think the PupDAC is just a little out of my league when it comes to the required soldering skills.

Nov 27, 2014 at 1:01 AM Post #2,205 of 9,298
  I was lucky enough to get in on the Like New + coupon code discount last week and order a pair of HD700s for $325.  I already had the Bottlehead Crack + Speedball on order back when the Speedball upgrade was only $20.  The folks at Bottlehead must have had a pile of orders since it's been over a month and the thing hasn't even shipped yet.

Anyway, I'm looking for advice from folks who use the HD700 with the Bottlehead Crack as to what USB DAC would pair well with that combo.  I'm pretty serious about getting a good deal / value for my money.  Some contenders in my list so far include the ODAC, CDAC+, Schiit Modi, HRT Music Streamer II+, and Audioquest Dragonfly 1.2.  I'm getting into DIY a bit, but I think the PupDAC is just a little out of my league when it comes to the required soldering skills.

I personally use the HRT MSII+ with the Bottlehead Crack/Speedball along with the HD 700 and I love it. Very musical, spacious and detailed. In addition, the spikey treble has never been a big issue for me. I had the O.G. HRT MSII a while back, after I upgraded to the MSII+ I've never felt the need to upgrade my DAC at all. It's a very good combo with the entire Senn HD line, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back