Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Nov 23, 2014 at 4:26 AM Post #2,162 of 9,326
^ No offense but I always get confused by people trying to use "audiophile" headphones for gaming. Most >$200 headphones tend to need amps to sound their best, and if you're using an amp, you typically need a better (external) source than a computer sound card too. And for gaming that makes no sense at all, because you'd lose the game-specific sound processing that some sound cards offer (notably the Creative Sound Blaster cards, but also others).

The HD700 is definitely one of those headphones that needs an amp, plus it's open. Most gamers tend to use closed headphones.

And I can't see it being very useful for gaming either. Granted, it'd probably localize sound effects pretty well, but it doesn't have the kind of sound that would make gunfire and explosions sound powerful (assuming you're referring to action games).

Nov 23, 2014 at 4:49 AM Post #2,165 of 9,326
  ^ No offense but I always get confused by people trying to use "audiophile" headphones for gaming. Most >$200 headphones tend to need amps to sound their best, and if you're using an amp, you typically need a better (external) source than a computer sound card too. And for gaming that makes no sense at all, because you'd lose the game-specific sound processing that some sound cards offer (notably the Creative Sound Blaster cards, but also others).

The HD700 is definitely one of those headphones that needs an amp, plus it's open. Most gamers tend to use closed headphones.

And I can't see it being very useful for gaming either. Granted, it'd probably localize sound effects pretty well, but it doesn't have the kind of sound that would make gunfire and explosions sound powerful (assuming you're referring to action games).

Actually a lot of casual gamers use open cans - me included.  And I have a creative card (titaniumX-fi) which I use solely for gaming.  SPDIF out (optical) to an external dac and amp.  That way I get the DSP when I need it, and the power from the better quality external amp.

The HD700 was a really good headphone for gaming.  Bass was quite immersive, but it also had good imaging and enough upper end detail to locate everything.  Best of all was the comfort.

Nov 23, 2014 at 9:46 AM Post #2,167 of 9,326

@kenshinhimura Oh, my, really? I'm in the US. I'd better take a closer look. Oh, if I'd only known about the $325 deals!! :frowning2:

subscribe to the deals discussion thread, that might help you. also check headphones for sale section, i think i saw someone selling an unopened one for $453 or right around there.

Nov 23, 2014 at 12:10 PM Post #2,168 of 9,326
  Is that phrase even allowed on this forum? 
biggrin.gif

My motto is "If I can afford it, it's not good enough for me ." :)

Nov 23, 2014 at 2:01 PM Post #2,169 of 9,326
I find HD700 to be very good for gaming even unamped and using crappy laptop soundcard and for that matter I prefer HD700 over  Fidelio X1 or Denon AH-D600 (actually of those three D600 is my 2nd choice). The sound is just so natural and clear compared to my other HPs. Bass is enough for me and I find it to be very good qualitylity/quantity-wise. X1 has very good (quantity) bass but mids are more recessed compared to HD700 and lack texture, soundstage is a lot more small and for me the X1 lack transparency. Speaking about comfort HD700 is more comfortable than X1 for very long listening/gaming sessions. Just my opinion.

Nov 23, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #2,170 of 9,326

@HPiper Hey, I am really happy to hear that you like that combo ... I have a Valhalla 2 on order and am going to purchase the HD 700 headphones sometime between now and Cyber Monday. (I'll be using the Bifrost Uber with it.)

A quick follow-up question, if you don't mind -- are you happy with the stock tubes or have you rolled them?

Nov 23, 2014 at 3:26 PM Post #2,171 of 9,326
I use the 700s for gaming also.  PS3 to an Asus monitor via HDMI and the headphones plugged right into the monitor's HP out.  Mostly Gran Turismo where they can very well localize other car noises which helps me tremendously, but God of War and some Western based, oh Red Dead Redemption.  Not a huge gamer, but I like em more than the 595, 600, 650 and 800s for the games.  High comfort level helps. 

Nov 23, 2014 at 11:45 PM Post #2,172 of 9,326
Hey all,

i just grabbed a HD700 last week for $325 shipped.  I'm eagerly awaiting them to see how they sound.  One of my big questions is whether it will be good for gaming right out of a Mixamp/Recon.  I'll find out soon enough, but curious if anyone else here uses them for console gaming.

I've read a lot of love/hate for these headphones.  Often when I'm reading reviews, it's from people who paid $750-1000 for them (depending on when it was reviewed).  I wonder how they will sound for $325.

Anyhow, subbing here.  I'll be talking to you more next week when they come in!

EDIT - Oh and to @Asr you've got a lot of misconceptions about gaming headphones.  You might want to read the intro to Mad Lust Envy's guide, which lays out some of the benefits of audiophile headphones for gaming.  While I do think the HD700 is probably overkill and a half, I don't think it's as absurd to ask as you do.  :-D

Nov 24, 2014 at 2:35 AM Post #2,173 of 9,326
  I find HD700 to be very good for gaming even unamped and using crappy laptop soundcard and for that matter I prefer HD700 over  Fidelio X1 or Denon AH-D600 (actually of those three D600 is my 2nd choice). The sound is just so natural and clear compared to my other HPs. Bass is enough for me and I find it to be very good qualitylity/quantity-wise. X1 has very good (quantity) bass but mids are more recessed compared to HD700 and lack texture, soundstage is a lot more small and for me the X1 lack transparency. Speaking about comfort HD700 is more comfortable than X1 for very long listening/gaming sessions. Just my opinion.

Thanks for this post. I must have received a defective pair last time then as you mention X1's mids are more recessed as  I found that completely opposite when I first had the HD700's. Though, the bass was just right with the HD700's and the highs were not bothersome. It's just that the mids were very bad. HD700's were the most comfortable headphone I've ever had on though. :)

Nov 24, 2014 at 2:36 AM Post #2,174 of 9,326
  Hey all,

i just grabbed a HD700 last week for $325 shipped.  I'm eagerly awaiting them to see how they sound.  One of my big questions is whether it will be good for gaming right out of a Mixamp/Recon.  I'll find out soon enough, but curious if anyone else here uses them for console gaming.

I've read a lot of love/hate for these headphones.  Often when I'm reading reviews, it's from people who paid $750-1000 for them (depending on when it was reviewed).  I wonder how they will sound for $325.

Anyhow, subbing here.  I'll be talking to you more next week when they come in!

EDIT - Oh and to @Asr you've got a lot of misconceptions about gaming headphones.  You might want to read the intro to Mad Lust Envy's guide, which lays out some of the benefits of audiophile headphones for gaming.  While I do think the HD700 is probably overkill and a half, I don't think it's as absurd to ask as you do.  :-D

$325. You and me both, though I'm in CA I had to pay $26 in taxes. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back