Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Nov 24, 2014 at 6:28 AM Post #2,176 of 9,326
  Hey all,

i just grabbed a HD700 last week for $325 shipped.  I'm eagerly awaiting them to see how they sound.  One of my big questions is whether it will be good for gaming right out of a Mixamp/Recon.  I'll find out soon enough, but curious if anyone else here uses them for console gaming.

I've read a lot of love/hate for these headphones.  Often when I'm reading reviews, it's from people who paid $750-1000 for them (depending on when it was reviewed).  I wonder how they will sound for $325.

Anyhow, subbing here.  I'll be talking to you more next week when they come in!

EDIT - Oh and to @Asr you've got a lot of misconceptions about gaming headphones.  You might want to read the intro to Mad Lust Envy's guide, which lays out some of the benefits of audiophile headphones for gaming.  While I do think the HD700 is probably overkill and a half, I don't think it's as absurd to ask as you do.  :-D

Where did you pop these for $325.....if I may ask.

Nov 24, 2014 at 11:41 AM Post #2,178 of 9,326
Since I bought the HD700 from senn, and I live in Canada, I am really looking for a nice amp for it.

deciding between those 4 but welcome to suggestions:

1. AUDIO-GD 15.32 (budget king but not sure if it is warm enough to smooth down the sibilient high, btw I m treble sensitive)

2. Little Dot MK2 or 3 (If I buy this that means I might need to continue using my crappy Soundblaster x-fi 5.1 USB sound card, but I heard it will remove the sibilence a lot to almost none)

3. Bottle Crack (samething, SB X-fi 5.1 again, and seems not so good at removing sibilence)

4. AUNE T1 (not sure it pairs well since it is SS amp, treble sibilence will stay?)

Truly need help!~

Nov 24, 2014 at 12:48 PM Post #2,180 of 9,326
Since I bought the HD700 from senn, and I live in Canada, I am really looking for a nice amp for it.

1. AUDIO-GD 15.32 (budget king but not sure if it is warm enough to smooth down the sibilient high, btw I m treble sensitive)

2. Little Dot MK2 or 3 (If I buy this that means I might need to continue using my crappy Soundblaster x-fi 5.1 USB sound card, but I heard it will remove the sibilence a lot to almost none)

3. Bottle Crack (samething, SB X-fi 5.1 again, and seems not so good at removing sibilence)

4. AUNE T1 (not sure it pairs well since it is SS amp, treble sibilence will stay?)

Truly need help!~

Based on using my 15.32 with the HE-4 (which I suspect has very similar peaky highs), no, it's probably not going to smooth it down enough.  But I can tell you first-hand in a few days when I get my HD700 in hand.

I suspect it will shine with the Project Ember and the right tubes...

Nov 24, 2014 at 1:35 PM Post #2,181 of 9,326

Based on using my 15.32 with the HE-4 (which I suspect has very similar peaky highs), no, it's probably not going to smooth it down enough.  But I can tell you first-hand in a few days when I get my HD700 in hand.

Is project ember any good? have heard this one much.

Nov 24, 2014 at 1:37 PM Post #2,182 of 9,326

Is project ember any good? have heard this one much.

It's my first tube amp so I don't really have anything to compare it to.  But I bought it because it's one of the few tube amps (under $1000) with the power to drive my HE-4 properly.  I am sure there are cheaper alternatives for use with easier-to-drive cans like the HD700.

Nov 24, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #2,183 of 9,326

Truly need help!~

Only heard the bh crack, but can tell you that it is a magical pairing. I have also heard a bit of tube rolling on it that proved you can also dial in the sound to your liking - sweet, analytical, intimate, large sound stage, forward sweet mids, whatever you desire. Also this was awesome sounding from both high end dacs down to lower end dacs like my portable x5 or dx90 daps.

Nov 24, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #2,184 of 9,326
NFB-12 was a good pairing with the HD700 if you want to go SS (NFB-15 is the current equivalent).

Nice thing about it is that you're getting a pretty competent DAC, lots of inputs, and enough power (on high gain) to drive small passive nearfield monitors.  You can also isolate the DAC and add a tube amp later on.

I use mine with an LD MKIV.  Both paired well with the HD700.

Nov 24, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #2,185 of 9,326
NFB-12 was a good pairing with the HD700 if you want to go SS (NFB-15 is the current equivalent).

Nice thing about it is that you're getting a pretty competent DAC, lots of inputs, and enough power (on high gain) to drive small passive nearfield monitors.  You can also isolate the DAC and add a tube amp later on.

I use mine with an LD MKIV.  Both paired well with the HD700.

Imma aussum that LD MK3 can do the same thing then? I do not wanna go with MK IV cuz i know i m kinda guy that wants the best if it is all MK IV, I might end up regreting getting SE version. lol

Nov 24, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #2,186 of 9,326
Only heard the bh crack, but can tell you that it is a magical pairing. I have also heard a bit of tube rolling on it that proved you can also dial in the sound to your liking - sweet, analytical, intimate, large sound stage, forward sweet mids, whatever you desire. Also this was awesome sounding from both high end dacs down to lower end dacs like my portable x5 or dx90 daps.

HOw is your geek out compare to BH?

Nov 24, 2014 at 3:44 PM Post #2,187 of 9,326

HOw is your geek out compare to BH?

If you are just looking at maximizing SQ, there is nothing like a dedicated desktop unit and the Crack will win easily in a shoot out. However, there are other considerations.

The GO720 is good enough that it has stopped my upgraditus for a while. However, it is different in that it has a DAC to go with the AMP that were obviously made to match up together well while the BH Crack requires an additional DAC. With the Seattle Head-Fi meet coming up again Dec 6 and BH being a local vendor that will attend the meet, I do see the upgraditus returning soon.

The GO720 is wonderful with the HD700, but the Crack allows you to dial in the HD700 signature to your liking. I would like to thicken up the 700 mids a bit and get the bass to hit a little harder which is easy to do with the Crack. The GO720 has a bit of a tuby sound, but the latest update has taken down the warmth a bit for a bigger more airy sound stage. So in both cases we are talking about a moving target.

If you need a DAC too, the GO720 makes for a wonderful and simple setup. It hangs from my middle monitor from the USB port providing easy usage at my desk while working. The Crack would require more care as I have kids and more room to manage - especially with tube rolling.

Nov 24, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #2,188 of 9,326

Imma aussum that LD MK3 can do the same thing then? I do not wanna go with MK IV cuz i know i m kinda guy that wants the best if it is all MK IV, I might end up regreting getting SE version. lol

Haven't heard the MK3.  From what I understand - less power (but you wouldn't need gobs of power for the HD700 anyway), but good options for tube rolling - especially on a budget.

I'll definitely have to build myself a Crack one of these days though - heard so many positive things about it.

Nov 24, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #2,189 of 9,326

Haven't heard the MK3.  From what I understand - less power (but you wouldn't need gobs of power for the HD700 anyway), but good options for tube rolling - especially on a budget.

I'll definitely have to build myself a Crack one of these days though - heard so many positive things about it.

I dont have soldering skills at all nor the tools. So BH is kinda hard for me

Nov 24, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #2,190 of 9,326
The Schiit Vali is pretty decent with the 700s.  I very much enjoy the 600, and have the 650 and 800 too.  Mjolnir and 600 is killer.  But this, the 700 and Vali is totally doable.  There's a perceived high level of resolution that's interesting to listen to, but not so overly detailed like the 800 can be for me. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back