Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Dec 15, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #861 of 9,298
I have a Burson Soloist with a Musical Fidelity VDAC II and thinking about getting the hd700. The amp and dac combo is smooth, detailed and musical with my HD580's. Anyone try hd700's with a Soloist?

Dec 15, 2013 at 4:29 PM Post #862 of 9,298
  Season's greetings everyone.  I've been enjoying my HD 700's for about a week now (an early x-mas gift to myself), and wow Sennheiser once again delivers. All the early negative reviews discouraged me from committing myself sooner, but once the street price plunged to a respectable $649, all my hesitations vanished. And now, I'm happy to report that many of the negative comments concerning these headphones were and are, imho, greatly exaggerated. Sure, the 700's treble will justly earn them the "bright" monicker. I won't argue otherwise, but to my ears, they sound exquisitely detailed and lithe, not "peaky" or "plasticky" or for that matter, inordinately "hot." And sure, even at $649usd, I feel they are a tad overpriced, but doggonit, if you ask me, all headphones are overpriced! 

I think the HD 700 nicely complements the HiFiMan He 500, btw, which to my ears sound like a glorified HD 580. And while  the He500 possesses an exemplary mid-range, liquid and warm as heated amber, by contrast, the HD 700 sounds lightning fast. From my limited time with thses bad boys, I sense that they can respond to any wavefront no matter how steep!  The only thing that compromises the HD 700's otherwise excellent transparency is a rather peculiar dip in the upper midrange frequencies (a quirk reminiscent to the HE 400's all-out upper midrange recession). I'm hoping some further burn-in can mitigate this issue though; otherwise, I will put the good old graphic equalizer to work. Oh, and I shouldn't forget the bass! My goodness: it's punchy, tight as a drum, and genuinely articulate. A real surprise to me.  Is the HD 700 an upgrade to the HD 6xx models, you ask? "Hell yes!" Though, I  will hasten to add that the 700's tuning may not suit Sennheiser purists and folks sensitive to extra treble. 

edited for typos

Fully agree with your views on the HD700, though I couldn't get over the peculiar dip in the upper midrange and the headphone was also way too bright for me. Interesting to note that we share the same sentiment on the HD580! The quality of the bass and the speed and articulation of the HD700s are their most surprising pros. I think I'm just too used to the midrange of the HE-500 to enjoy the HD700. Their new retail at $650 is also a much fairer compared to the original asking price. At $650 I reckon they are a viable alternative to the mid priced ortho cans out there. I'd still pick the HE-500 over the HD700 any day.

Dec 15, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #864 of 9,298
Fully agree with your views on the HD700, though I couldn't get over the peculiar dip in the upper midrange and the headphone was also way too bright for me. Interesting to note that we share the same sentiment on the HD580! The quality of the bass and the speed and articulation of the HD700s are their most surprising pros. I think I'm just too used to the midrange of the HE-500 to enjoy the HD700. Their new retail at $650 is also a much fairer compared to the original asking price. At $650 I reckon they are a viable alternative to the mid priced ortho cans out there. I'd still pick the HE-500 over the HD700 any day.

What kind of music do you mainly listen to? What's your amp and dac?

Dec 15, 2013 at 5:42 PM Post #867 of 9,298
Well my HD 700 with custom cable should be arriving here tomorrow (thanks pdrm360!) and I'll officially be a member of the 700 Club. Since we are on the subject of amps, I was wondering if anyone's tried the HD 700 on a Botthead Crack/Speedball?

I will be starting my 3rd Crack + Speedball build next week once my vacation starts. I know very well the magic of HD 650 and Crack/Speedball combo, just curious if the HD 700 pairs just as nicely? Either way I should be able to test it out in the next couple of weeks.

Dec 15, 2013 at 9:38 PM Post #869 of 9,298
A reply to DVass13 who wanted to try the HD700s near Cincinnati.

You might want to try the Sound Earphones store in Cincinnati. They have a Web site and on it you can find their telephone number. Looks like they carry the HD700.
I have not been there though.

Dec 15, 2013 at 11:17 PM Post #870 of 9,298
A reply to DVass13 who wanted to try the HD700s near Cincinnati.

You might want to try the Sound Earphones store in Cincinnati. They have a Web site and on it you can find their telephone number. Looks like they carry the HD700.
I have not been there though.

Thanks! I had no clue this was here. I'm sure I'll be swinging by this place very soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back