Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Dec 20, 2013 at 11:54 AM Post #886 of 9,320
  Just got the HD700's for my B-day (best wife ever!), and all I can say is they sound INCREDIBLE.  Listening to Beethoven Violin Sonatas (Leonidas Kavakos) - the realism is eerie...just pure music making, like "you're there" feeling.  I never got this with my HD580's.  The rendition of the piano is so clear and tuneful.  The violin sounds exactly like it should (I should know since I play the violin).  So far, with a few hours of listening, I'm one happy Birthday boy.  BTW, source is Musical Fidelity V-DAC II with V-PSU with Burson Soloist as amplifier - super detailed yet not at all fatiguing and I haven't even started burning them in!!!

Congratulations!  Some believe that the HD700s have much better sounds than the HD800s. Price wise, excluding the lowball prices last night from Amazon on the HD800s, the HD700s appear to be a very good value compared to the HD800s.  Plus I have heard that the resale value of HD800s are not as high as the HD700s when looking at resale price percentages of the original new headphone purchase prices.  Both are known as very good headphones.  Say thanks to your wife a few more times!

Dec 20, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #887 of 9,320
One of the main reasons why I LOVE my HD700s over all other headphones is how comfortable they feel in my head! I thought HD600/650s were the best for long time, but not anymore. Give these a try folks! :)

Dec 20, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #888 of 9,320

Congratulations!  Some believe that the HD700s have much better sounds than the HD800s. Price wise, excluding the lowball prices last night from Amazon on the HD800s, the HD700s appear to be a very good value compared to the HD800s.  Plus I have heard that the resale value of HD800s are not as high as the HD700s when looking at resale price percentages of the original new headphone purchase prices.  Both are known as very good headphones.  Say thanks to your wife a few more times!

Don't think I'm ever going to sell these babies.  I had listened to the HD800's, and while they resolved incredible amounts of detail, I thought they sounded a little too clinical and cold.  On the contrary, HD700's resolve almost as much detail, yet they have a more natural and organic presentation, especially in the bass and mids.  On thick orchestral recordings, I can always pick out the musical bass lines, yet they don't muddy up anything else in the presentation.  Everything just sounds so balanced and "right".  

I was afraid that my solid state gear would be too harsh for these guys, but they seem to sing with the Burson Soloist (medium gain, no more than 10 or 11 o'clock...for any Soloist people out there).  

Dec 20, 2013 at 2:25 PM Post #889 of 9,320
Hi all. I'm enjoying my new hd700s, but am not digging the lengthy and stiff cable with monstrous connector sleeve around the 6.5mm connector. I'm wanting to get a 4 - 6ft cable terminated with a 3.5mm (for my portable fiio e12) tip since these will travel with me a lot. Any suggestions? I'm not interested in spending much on another cable. Maybe, MAYBE $100, but that even makes me cringe. To start I've found these two on ebay.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/261317123574

http://m.ebay.com/itm/201004527090

Each around $30, they look decent, and seller seems respectable. Reading feedback does not allow me to find specific buyer feedback on this product tho.

Anyone else have opinions or suggestions for a 3.5mm 4ft- 6ft replacement cable for under $100?I Thanks!!

They are fine. I bought mine $88 and took 2 months to receive them. 

Dec 21, 2013 at 10:56 AM Post #890 of 9,320
  Hello, hows the Matrix with the hd700?
I have been using it with my k701 and will be receiving my HD700 next week.
cant wait!

The M-stage pairs incredibly well with the HD 700; it blows away the Fiio E9 (one of my first headphone amps), which accentuates the treble and robs the HD 700 of its surprisingly robust character. I think the HD700 appreciates the M-stage’s extra horsepower; with the gain set to max, the bass is just sublime and oh-so clean. Comparing the HD 700 to the HD 800, I was surprised to discover that the HD 700 produces a much punchier bass response, while maintaining its crystal clear, grain-free character. The HD 800, on the other hand, reaches down deep into the sub-bass, extracting an amazing amount of detail from that region (man, the HD 800 is just unreal when it comes to detail retrieval!)  The Matrix also improves the HD 700’s sound-stage; the Fiio E9 sort of robbed the HD 700 of its sense of space. The HD700’s soundstage, though, is not dramatically wide like the k701, but rather surprisingly balanced and symmetrical. I love this. With all that said, the HD 700’s upper end sounds a little “smoother” through my Little Dot Mk3 tube amp; the tubes subdue the treble just enough to make you forget about the treble. The difference between the MK3 and the Matrix on that score is subtle but notable. Unfortunately, no amp can help rectify the HD 700’s upper mid-range dip, and I’m now committed to adjusting the offending frequencies with my graphic equalizer. This, for me, is a very small complaint but for some folks the upper mid-range dip may be a deal breaker, and the Matrix won’t resolve this problem.  Hope this was helpful. Cheers.

Dec 21, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #891 of 9,320
They look decent enough but I would try to get them from an established cable manufacturer if at all possible.  No need to degrade the sound with a semi-competent cable.
I must say as a recent purchaser of the HD700s that they are impressive. I tried ny only other "decent" headphones Beyer..DT770 LE 32 Ohm and these completely blew them away in virtually every parameter of SQ I can think of. I  bought the HD 700s because the price was right but I am still naïve, about HPs, I can only wonder what other top quality HPs sound like.

Dec 21, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #892 of 9,320
  They look decent enough but I would try to get them from an established cable manufacturer if at all possible.  No need to degrade the sound with a semi-competent cable.
I must say as a recent purchaser of the HD700s that they are impressive. I tried ny only other "decent" headphones Beyer..DT770 LE 32 Ohm and these completely blew them away in virtually every parameter of SQ I can think of. I  bought the HD 700s because the price was right but I am still naïve, about HPs, I can only wonder what other top quality HPs sound like.

Be warned: the headphone rabbit hole is deep indeed! This quest for the ultimate headphones can hobble you financially and can estrange you from family members and friends, who will rightfully call you "obsessed," and "crazy," and so many other hurtful names.  Today you're just a happy-go-lucky chap with more friends than you can count, but in a blink, this hobby can change all that--and then, one day, you wake up to an empty house and a disheveled reflection; on that day, it may take you a moment to realize that your wife and kids have abandoned you, because you're still dwelling on your last head-fi post that started yet another flame war. You won't admit this, not even to yourself, but you love flame wars. Without the restraints of family and friends, you become a bearded globe-trotter with wild, implacable eyes; you attend every headphone convention you deem worthy of your time; the people you meet--the lost, the hurt, the rejected--understand you and reinforce your obsession with headphones. At night you sometimes laugh for no apparent reason. Sometimes you sob like a lost child. You also now worship strange gods with funny names: "Tyll" and "Jude," just to name a few. Is this just another apocryphal tale, you ask? Maybe. But consider yourself duly warned!

Dec 21, 2013 at 4:19 PM Post #893 of 9,320
I've been reading a lot about the HD 700 needing around 150-200 hours of burn-in, but I can't really find a lot of description on the changes after the break-in period. Can some of you comment on how the sound changes over time? Can I expect the soundstage to open up wider? I've only got about 20 hours so far on my pair.

Personally, I think they sound pretty great out of the box...

Dec 21, 2013 at 11:01 PM Post #894 of 9,320
  The M-stage pairs incredibly well with the HD 700; it blows away the Fiio E9 (one of my first headphone amps), which accentuates the treble and robs the HD 700 of its surprisingly robust character. I think the HD700 appreciates the M-stage’s extra horsepower; with the gain set to max, the bass is just sublime and oh-so clean. Comparing the HD 700 to the HD 800, I was surprised to discover that the HD 700 produces a much punchier bass response, while maintaining its crystal clear, grain-free character. The HD 800, on the other hand, reaches down deep into the sub-bass, extracting an amazing amount of detail from that region (man, the HD 800 is just unreal when it comes to detail retrieval!)  The Matrix also improves the HD 700’s sound-stage; the Fiio E9 sort of robbed the HD 700 of its sense of space. The HD700’s soundstage, though, is not dramatically wide like the k701, but rather surprisingly balanced and symmetrical. I love this. With all that said, the HD 700’s upper end sounds a little “smoother” through my Little Dot Mk3 tube amp; the tubes subdue the treble just enough to make you forget about the treble. The difference between the MK3 and the Matrix on that score is subtle but notable. Unfortunately, no amp can help rectify the HD 700’s upper mid-range dip, and I’m now committed to adjusting the offending frequencies with my graphic equalizer. This, for me, is a very small complaint but for some folks the upper mid-range dip may be a deal breaker, and the Matrix won’t resolve this problem.  Hope this was helpful. Cheers.

Sounds great!
May I know which opamp are you using in your Matrix?
I ordered a LME49710HA for this headphone =D

Dec 22, 2013 at 3:20 AM Post #896 of 9,320
  I've been reading a lot about the HD 700 needing around 150-200 hours of burn-in, but I can't really find a lot of description on the changes after the break-in period. Can some of you comment on how the sound changes over time? Can I expect the soundstage to open up wider? I've only got about 20 hours so far on my pair.

Personally, I think they sound pretty great out of the box...

They sound great out of the box. When your mind and body adapts to them over time, they sound even better. :wink:

Dec 22, 2013 at 3:30 AM Post #897 of 9,320
I just won that item on auction for $32 shipped instead of $88 buyitnow. Woohoo. Hopefully I will receive them before february..
Thanks for the feedback. It was perfectly timed for me to make the bid on the auction!

They didn't have auction that time. Here is how they look with the cable:

Dec 22, 2013 at 10:03 AM Post #898 of 9,320
I can't seem to locate the picture of my 700s with the Double Helix Molecule SE cable attached.  Which is too bad cause it's good looking.  And as far as function goes, it's even better.  But it wasn't as inexpensive as that.  Good score.

The kinking of the stock cable is just too much.

And as nice as the DHC cable is, usually I'm using a Senn HD 477/497 replacement re terminated with a 4 pin XLR.  It's a dinky little thing but even so, kinks less than the standard cable does.

Dec 22, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #899 of 9,320
How do you like the molecule compared to the stock cable?  I have a molecule that should be at my door sometime this week.

Dec 22, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #900 of 9,320
I think nothing of any sound differences.  But as far as functionality of a cable and it being easy to deal with and not make me angry at a stupid headphone cable, it's leagues above the stock one.

If it really matters, mine is a Molecule SE with the fancy Peptide wire.  Good stuff.  Pretty cool, and cool looking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back