Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Dec 12, 2013 at 4:32 AM Post #826 of 9,320

I think a big thing the HE-500 has going for it is the bass and impact. Not necessarily just in the bass frequencies alone, but even in the mids, there's a sense of impact that adds body to the instruments. If you're not into bass, you should look into electrostatics. Those have great mids and treble. Especially treble. To me, I've not heard anything like it compared to my Koss. Because of the speed, you can hear a whole new level of detail in the trebles that I've not heard from any dynamic or orthodynamic headphones.

It all depends on your sound preferences. Do you prefer airy or syrupy? HE-500 I would definitely describe as fluid or syrupy, especially through my setup. The Koss is definitely considered airy. I do wish the Koss had the level of transparency my HE-500 has though. I've read that's due to the mediocre amp that it comes with, not the headphone itself. It'll be a while before I upgrade the electrostatic amp though. Those are expensive!

I find these two headphones to complement each other quite well. But I've also thought about grados as well.

Koss are nice, but they're definitely out of my price range, lol.

Dec 12, 2013 at 8:05 AM Post #827 of 9,320
  I currently have Asus Essence STX and Fiio E12 for portable. Planning to get an amplifier few months after I get the headphones since I am a student, not really financially capable of getting everything at once!
And I will use these for mostly orchestral, sometimes chamber classical. and probably 15% of times for pop.

HD700 with E12 and Accudio is Portable Bomb.

Maybe it's just me, but with E12 and Accudio Ref.Mode set to 2/2/0/0 or 2/1/0/0 I feel like I got 5000$ cans or something + it's portable, it just sounds ridiculously good to me and all friends of mine who got chance listen to it.

Dec 12, 2013 at 3:28 PM Post #828 of 9,320
I'm debating about returning the HD 650's I bought recently (paid ~$390) to get the HD 700's (would cost ~$550). It's not that I don't like the 650's, but I've seen numerous reviews that the 700's have a bit more airy sound and a wider soundstage. Plus, at about 45% off MSRP, they seem like a better deal anyway. Any suggestions whether I should make the switch?

Dec 12, 2013 at 4:53 PM Post #829 of 9,320
I'm debating about returning the HD 650's I bought recently (paid ~$390) to get the HD 700's (would cost ~$550). It's not that I don't like the 650's, but I've seen numerous reviews that the 700's have a bit more airy sound and a wider soundstage. Plus, at about 45% off MSRP, they seem like a better deal anyway. Any suggestions whether I should make the switch?

These two are completely different headphones both of them are my favorites. Depends on what kind of sound you like. 

I think both are awesome headphones.

Oh and as for returning HD650... don't do that if you like them. HD700 and HD650 it's day and night difference in sound signature. HD700 isn't bit more airy version of HD650.

Dec 12, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #830 of 9,320

These two are completely different headphones both of them are my favorites. Depends on what kind of sound you like. 

I think both are awesome headphones.

Oh and as for returning HD650... don't do that if you like them. HD700 and HD650 it's day and night difference in sound signature. HD700 isn't bit more airy version of HD650.

I guess the trouble is the expense. The only way I could justify getting the 700's is if I return the 650's. I also have the AKG Q701's, which I like very much except for their lack of bass. So I don't really want a third pair of headphones. I just can't decide if I'd want to make the jump from 650 to 700 since I have a bit of paypal cash at the moment which would drop the price of the 700's to about the return value of the 650's.

I know the best/simplest solution would be to just A/B the two, but I have no idea where (near Cincinnati) I'd be able to get a pair of 700's to sample.

Dec 12, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #831 of 9,320
Lucky you. I have my 700s coming in the mail atm, and am on a job in Covington next week. If you'd like, we could meet at a panera or something (provided my 700s arrive by the time I leave). I want to hear the 650s as well.

Dec 13, 2013 at 3:26 AM Post #832 of 9,320
What I'am saying is .. if you got headphones you really like than don't sell/return them to try other ones (completely different in this case). Because you might end up unhappy. If you are like .. hmm HD650 is fine but it's too dark and slow, I want step up and something fast and exiting than sure give HD700 chance :wink:

Dec 13, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #833 of 9,320

Well my pair is finally on route and I’m curious on what my impressions will be.

But what I find entertaining is that the discussions somewhat mirror the arguments around my main speakers, the Dynaudio Special Twenty Fives (I made a similar comment on http://www.headfonia.com/ls-take-on-the-sennheiser-hd700/2/ )

For those who are familiar with Dynaudio, the 25s are considered to be the black sheep with whom folks either love or hate as they do veer from the familiar Dyn sound, compared to the C1’s for example which 90% appear to prefer over the 25s.
And like my 25s which are powered by a Bryston 4BSST, the HD700s will accompany my recently acquired Bryston BHA-1.
Overall I do find the parallel arguments amusing though and I’ll find out one-way or another soon enough.

Dec 13, 2013 at 1:28 PM Post #834 of 9,320
Hey guys, I've just spent the last 5 hours with my brand new (used) Audio Technica 3000 ANVs.

I've made my comparisons with the Hd 700s, and I'm actually even more impressed with our phones now.

The comparisons can be found here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/630386/the-audio-technica-w3000anv-appreciation-thread/720#post_10062685

Today I've also had the chance to:

Try the HD800s again: Reaffirming what I knew when I bought the 700s, the 800s are too big for me and cover too much of my face, while the 700s are just the right size circling the ear with no extra space for the heads to move around.

I wanted to bring this up, I find the 700s very position sensitive. I prefer it's SQ when the front ridge of my ear (I'm not sure that's the right term) is flushed against the front cup portion of the HD700s.

The Abyss: I find overrated and not worth the money IMHO, and so bloody awkward. The SQ is debatable because I heard it at the Mook Fair (so noisy) but the unadjustable Abyss really annoys me.

Dec 13, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #835 of 9,320
The W3000ANV does some amazing things, but really was too expensive for me. It became more of a trophy than something I can use on a daily basis, couldn't even bear the thought of getting fingerprints on that beautiful laquer.

Just wondering, what about the sound sig made it hard to use for a long time except for acoustic? I found the W3000 to be very inoffensive.

(oops, just realized I should've posted this in the W3000 thread, my bad)

Dec 13, 2013 at 8:21 PM Post #836 of 9,320
The W3000ANV does some amazing things, but really was too expensive for me. It became more of a trophy than something I can use on a daily basis, couldn't even bear the thought of getting fingerprints on that beautiful laquer.

Just wondering, what about the sound sig made it hard to use for a long time except for acoustic? I found the W3000 to be very inoffensive.

(oops, just realized I should've posted this in the W3000 thread, my bad)

:) No worries. I was trying to illustrate how I much I love the 700s. The 3000anvs are gorgeous. Absolutely. The look so damn beautiful, and I totally get that.

I find the top and bottom frequencies mashed together (because it's mid focused) so I end up turning up the volume.... To try to achieve detail and separation I can get effortlessly from the 700s.... I gave up on that and decided on focusing on enjoying the music hahaha.

3000s are vocal (mid) kings, I never heard anything more effortless and smooth. It has magic in that range that I always felt the was lacking in the 700s. Once drums etc goes in there I tend to get annoyed that I can't hear nuances and detail haha.

Basically very different phones, rather complimentary,

Dec 14, 2013 at 12:19 AM Post #839 of 9,320

Users who are viewing this thread

Back