Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Jun 9, 2022 at 8:28 AM Post #9,091 of 9,316
I've almost got my pair, waiting to pay custom charges. Grr Brexit. I reckon with their unpopularity and discontinued makes them a bargain. For me the other pair I was interested in were the beyerdynamic amiron home, but the hd700 I came across was cheaper.
Considering that they started life at $1k, then dropped (and spent most of their lifetime) to $750, a few hundred dollars or less is a great deal IMHO. Hope you enjoy them?! :)

Jun 9, 2022 at 8:32 AM Post #9,092 of 9,316
Considering that they started life at $1k, then dropped (and spent most of their lifetime) to $750, a few hundred dollars or less is a great deal IMHO. Hope you enjoy them?! :)
Trying to settle on an amp. Have a Loxjie P-20 sitting on the desk waiting, but been looking at a topping d50s with a schiit Asgard. It topping dx5. Or xduoo ta-20. Ahhhh decisions!!

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2022 at 9:18 AM Post #9,093 of 9,316
Trying to settle on an amp. Have a Loxjie P-20 sitting on the desk waiting, but been looking at a topping d50s with a schiit Asgard. It topping dx5. Or xduoo ta-20. Ahhhh decisions!!
I decided to not have both DAP and desktop amp. I got the iBasso DX300, and will be getting the tube amp card sometime this month (when it released in the US). I hope it pairs well with the HD700 (the other amp cards do to this point). The DX300 is powerful enough (with the right amp card) to drive anything I have need of, and can be used as desktop or portable. I am quite happy with this setup. :)

Jun 9, 2022 at 9:50 AM Post #9,094 of 9,316
Can't afford a dx300 otherwise I'd get one :p I'd like a dx240 too

Jun 10, 2022 at 7:37 PM Post #9,095 of 9,316
Just been running the zx507 SE through the Loxjie P-20 SE out with the HD700. Did some EQ adjustments as it was set to the Lcdi4's. Dialled off the treble and fixed the mids (too an extant for now), but the bottom end at this point is muddy as hell. It's a new amp so will give the burn some time. The mids though sounds great, just like the Lcdi4's. But with more love. The highs I'm not yet convinced at this stage. After EQ the sibilance has gone, though the clarity is lacking, will wait till a few 10's of hours burn in. The headphones are not new so they should be performing fine. It it also through SE and the p-20 is known for crappy impressions. Will be getting a balanced soon for the headphones and fine a cable to source the Loxjie in balanced also, that's where it's meant to shine. But really convinced on getting the xduoo TA-20.
At this stage, the mids are awesome, just need to work on the the muddy bass and weird treble, but things may calm down with burn in.
What I am impressively impressed is the comfort. Hands down rather them other Lcdi4. They are comfortable for iem pointof view but I think I've just discovered I'm a headphones listener. The HD700 seem choked ony source supply and it's easy to understand why.
All in all of I'm going to give the Sennies the best chance, some nuances in sonces they have shown where the Lcdi4 didn't. Strange to me. And it really excited me finding these hidden bat graphs. Immediately I hear a more hug/genuine feel with the Sennies, compared to the Lcdi4. I miss the super details the the cleanliness of the slam with super clean mids and highs. But I'm ok with that. I get a wood fired loungeroom that brings your brakes and shots of scotch when you bat an eye lid. And that's why starting to look like the HD700.

Jun 10, 2022 at 8:27 PM Post #9,096 of 9,316
Just been running the zx507 SE through the Loxjie P-20 SE out with the HD700. Did some EQ adjustments as it was set to the Lcdi4's. Dialled off the treble and fixed the mids (too an extant for now), but the bottom end at this point is muddy as hell. It's a new amp so will give the burn some time. The mids though sounds great, just like the Lcdi4's. But with more love. The highs I'm not yet convinced at this stage. After EQ the sibilance has gone, though the clarity is lacking, will wait till a few 10's of hours burn in. The headphones are not new so they should be performing fine. It it also through SE and the p-20 is known for crappy impressions. Will be getting a balanced soon for the headphones and fine a cable to source the Loxjie in balanced also, that's where it's meant to shine. But really convinced on getting the xduoo TA-20.
At this stage, the mids are awesome, just need to work on the the muddy bass and weird treble, but things may calm down with burn in.
What I am impressively impressed is the comfort. Hands down rather them other Lcdi4. They are comfortable for iem pointof view but I think I've just discovered I'm a headphones listener. The HD700 seem choked ony source supply and it's easy to understand why.
All in all of I'm going to give the Sennies the best chance, some nuances in sonces they have shown where the Lcdi4 didn't. Strange to me. And it really excited me finding these hidden bat graphs. Immediately I hear a more hug/genuine feel with the Sennies, compared to the Lcdi4. I miss the super details the the cleanliness of the slam with super clean mids and highs. But I'm ok with that. I get a wood fired loungeroom that brings your brakes and shots of scotch when you bat an eye lid. And that's why starting to look like the HD700.
They do have an odd sort of tuning (tonality-wise) comparatively speaking, but with burn-in (or brain burn-in) you will get used to them and they start sounding better. However, should they NOT, there is a really fantastic auto-eq profile (Oratory1990) for them. Point is that the driver in these is indeed really great, they might just seem tuned a bit wonky at first glance.

Jun 10, 2022 at 9:05 PM Post #9,097 of 9,316
They do have an odd sort of tuning (tonality-wise) comparatively speaking, but with burn-in (or brain burn-in) you will get used to them and they start sounding better. However, should they NOT, there is a really fantastic auto-eq profile (Oratory1990) for them. Point is that the driver in these is indeed really great, they might just seem tuned a bit wonky at first glance.
I agree with the high siblance, I've however tuned it down, but haven't worked much on the lows. I loved the pinch of the Lcdi4 planar, but these have made me miss the dynamic fun and love. I'll be keeping these for now. Just working on the source and amp

Jun 10, 2022 at 9:47 PM Post #9,098 of 9,316
I thought I was a bass head. The bass with EQ on the Lcdi4 was unexplainable. Fast, loud be and precise. But having dynamic headphones. I think whatever sennheiser is doing it with their dynamic drivers I never want to be away from. It's just perfect. It hits when you want it. But if you don't want it to it doesn't. How do they do that? I've found out so much with this.

Jun 10, 2022 at 10:22 PM Post #9,099 of 9,316
I thought I was a bass head. The bass with EQ on the Lcdi4 was unexplainable. Fast, loud be and precise. But having dynamic headphones. I think whatever sennheiser is doing it with their dynamic drivers I never want to be away from. It's just perfect. It hits when you want it. But if you don't want it to it doesn't. How do they do that? I've found out so much with this.
Excellent observations! I was going to say to your earlier post that the driver is really good in this, and the perceived muddy bass is more tuning (IMO) that the capability of the driver. Now, of course next to a good planar it MIGHT sound a bit muddy

Jun 10, 2022 at 10:54 PM Post #9,100 of 9,316
Oh, I forgot to reply to your comment about them being comfortable. I have to agree, they supreme comfort, second only to my Hifiman HE400S (which are even more like pillows on my head).

One other note about the bass on these; keep in mind that these were released before the advent of driver coatings, so DD were known for being a bit muddy, especially compared to much faster planar drivers. But back then Planar drivers also weren't capable of the deep rumble that a good DD can give. Trust me, these can handle some EQ that will turn them into serious (audiophile) bass-head cans. When in this mood, I will use the Auto-EQ profile I mentioned earlier, and then an EQ profile that I have which makes them sound more of a Harmon curve sound (but also narrowing the stage a bit too).

Jun 15, 2022 at 3:55 AM Post #9,101 of 9,316
I just run my hd700 thru the jds atom and d10 on my desktop and it’s amazing! Guess I found my end game setup hahah

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2022 at 8:53 AM Post #9,102 of 9,316
I just run my hd700 thru the jds atom and d10 on my desktop and it’s amazing! Guess I found my end game setup hahah
Fantastic! I have my new Korg Nutube amp card for my DX300 arriving today. I can't wait to try this with the HD700. :)

Jun 15, 2022 at 12:21 PM Post #9,103 of 9,316
Fantastic! I have my new Korg Nutube amp card for my DX300 arriving today. I can't wait to try this with the HD700. :)
I predict you will be happy

Jun 16, 2022 at 3:44 PM Post #9,105 of 9,316
After coming from the Lcdi4 (I know, not a fair or even point of comparison) and eq'ing to my liking, the hd700 cannot touch the i4's bass wise. Is muddy, slow and way to warm. But the mids on the hd700 I've yet to complain about. It's amazing. Not better, but I do not think they are worse. Just, different. It's comparing apple to peaches but I'm not unhappy with the hd700. They are mega comfortable and that's what makes me listen to them more. But for a short spam session, Lcdi4 without question. All in all. I love them both

Users who are viewing this thread

Back