Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Jun 29, 2022 at 7:56 PM Post #9,122 of 9,298
You're an angel.
Lmao, I'll be needing pads shortly too haha but nice read though!
I'm completely of the opinion that the market wasn't ready for HD700 at it's release in 2012, and while I feel that the general consensus would have still ended up being a not for everyone verdict, I feel had it been released in today's market, it probably would have sold well and likely would not have received any of the ridicule that it did. I've also always felt like this headphone should have been revised and not discontinued; I was mildly disappointed by that when I heard.

Jun 29, 2022 at 8:11 PM Post #9,123 of 9,298
You're an angel.

I'm completely of the opinion that the market wasn't ready for HD700 at it's release in 2012, and while I feel that the general consensus would have still ended up being a not for everyone verdict, I feel had it been released in today's market, it probably would have sold well and likely would not have received any of the ridicule that it did. I've also always felt like this headphone should have been revised and not discontinued; I was mildly disappointed by that when I heard.
I agree with this. I was also very disappointed when Sennheiser devalued them the way they did, rather than just discontinue them.

Jun 30, 2022 at 5:13 AM Post #9,124 of 9,298
All to a few reviews that are too stubborn to EQ what their personal ears don't appreciate. I eq'ed them to me liking and couldn't be happier. Ignorance isn't power, it's stupidity:p

Jun 30, 2022 at 8:57 AM Post #9,125 of 9,298
All to a few reviews that are too stubborn to EQ what their personal ears don't appreciate. I eq'ed them to me liking and couldn't be happier. Ignorance isn't power, it's stupidity:p
While listening to classical and jazz, I listen un-EQed. While listening to rock, pop, rap, etc... I will use the Oratory 1990 Auto-EQ (which is brilliant and really shows what this driver can do IMHO).

Edit: Or when listening to them through a tube amp, I will listen just as they are (which is fantastic in a tube amp). :)

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2022 at 9:04 AM Post #9,126 of 9,298
3519D702-2477-4B53-994E-DD0A769AAB5F.jpeg

Jun 30, 2022 at 9:36 AM Post #9,127 of 9,298
While listening to classical and jazz, I listen un-EQed. While listening to rock, pop, rap, etc... I will use the Oratory 1990 Auto-EQ (which is brilliant and really shows what this driver can do IMHO).

Edit: Or when listening to them through a tube amp, I will listen just as they are (which is fantastic in a tube amp). :)
As with the Lcdi4, they needed EQ for me. Way too flat without it. While the hd700 is alot more musical without EQ than the Lcdi4, I still fiddled with it.

Jun 30, 2022 at 10:13 AM Post #9,128 of 9,298
As with the Lcdi4, they needed EQ for me. Way too flat without it. While the hd700 is alot more musical without EQ than the Lcdi4, I still fiddled with it.
I think that most people gave them a bad rap in the past because they are absolutely NOT forgiving of poor quality files (blaming the headphones for the poor sound).

On another note, because of the stellar technicalities, these have also been the best head gear to listen to at low volume. The sweet spot for these is surprisingly low, while still retaining the massive sound stage, and sound profile IMO.

Jun 30, 2022 at 10:23 AM Post #9,129 of 9,298
I think that most people gave them a bad rap in the past because they are absolutely NOT forgiving of poor quality files (blaming the headphones for the poor sound).

On another note, because of the stellar technicalities, these have also been the best head gear to listen to at low volume. The sweet spot for these is surprisingly low, while still retaining the massive sound stage, and sound profile IMO.
Agreed, although I think this applies to a lot of headphones, not to mention other hifi gear. Certainly, I am aware that the Brits think Americans generally listen WAY too loud.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2022 at 10:25 AM Post #9,130 of 9,298
Agreed, although I think this applies to a lot of headphones, and hifi gear in general. Certainly, I am aware that the Brits think Americans in generally listen WAY too loud.
What?

Jun 30, 2022 at 10:31 AM Post #9,132 of 9,298
Lol! When you can tune your guitar by the frequency (meaning Hz, not regularity) of the ringing in your ears, you’re there.
Leigh Stevens (of SF power trio Blue Cheer), who played a Gibson SG with eleven stacks of Marshalls, said in a Rolling Stone interview years ago that he tuned “by vibration”.

Jun 30, 2022 at 10:37 AM Post #9,133 of 9,298
Leigh Stevens (of SF power trio Blue Cheer), who played a Gibson SG with eleven stacks of Marshalls, said in a Rolling Stone interview years ago that he tuned “by vibration”.
Sounds about right. We should probably move this discussion to the hearing aid impressions thread… 🦻🏼

Jun 30, 2022 at 12:58 PM Post #9,134 of 9,298
Agreed, although I think this applies to a lot of headphones, not to mention other hifi gear. Certainly, I am aware that the Brits think Americans generally listen WAY too loud.
It does; however, I think that the better the macro and micro dynamics, the more this becomes true. And let's face it, we still aren't out of the quantity over quality in music reproduction phase just yet (thanks Beats and Apple for making this a mainstream thing). There are a lot more people nowadays that are becoming demanding of their quality in their library, but there are still plenty that are just as happy to listen to low quality crap and are happy with it.

I have been guilty of this over my younger days (something like 150 concerts), and we would crank up the stereo in the car on the ride home because we couldn't hear it. Plus, I was part of car stereo competitions where the bass alone would wreck anyone's hearing over time. Thankfully I am only deaf to frequencies over 12k (at age 52).

Nowadays, I try to listen on average of 60-80dB (not measured) or lower, and only listen louder on short bursts (when it is a REALLY good song)...:wink: The good news is that when you get good head gear, you don't HAVE to crank it up to hear all the frequencies. And it seems as though even the lowest priced stuff nowadays can compete with higher end stuff from yesteryear. As for the HD700 (and really all of the higher end HD stuff from Sennheiser), I think they were ahead of their time with their equipment and their tuning.

With the advent of driver coatings, we no longer have to put up with super bloated bass like we had in earlier days (for instance). Those were tuned purposely to distort in the bass area (especially) to accommodate for the low quality music that was commonplace, and for the way they were recorded to begin with. I sometimes go back to those super bass heavy (and distorted) songs with contemporary head gear, and they just don't sound like they used to for me. For instance this song (among others of his) used to be used in competition for just how much rattle one can cause with music, and it required some good (purposeful) distortion on the lower end to sound "correct" (to the way they intended it). With today's drivers, they can reach that low, but they are simply too accurate to give the affect that once was.

Anyone remember this? :

Jun 30, 2022 at 1:05 PM Post #9,135 of 9,298
There are a lot more people nowadays that are becoming demanding of their quality in their library, but there are still plenty that are just as happy to listen to low quality crap and are happy with it.
There are a lot more people nowadays that are becoming demanding of their quality in their library, but there are still plenty that are just as happy to listen to low quality crap and are happy with it.
Most people don't realise the higher market is there and haven't heard anything other. What's to miss what you've never experienced?
That's my theory anyway lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back