Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Jan 3, 2018 at 6:28 PM Post #8,221 of 9,319
Darkvoice .jpg

Moon Audio Black Dragon v2-A great match for the HD 700's. Gigantic improvement over the stock cable of course.

Jan 3, 2018 at 7:52 PM Post #8,222 of 9,319
IMG_20180103_194022[1].jpg

I'm using this cable from Ursine Audio. Only 4 feet, which is perfect for me. I used one of the short cables available on Amazon for a while, but this one is far more pleasant to use in every way (looks, feel, and it seemed to sound a bit better, but that may be a placebo effect). Unfortunately, the braided material parted from the strain relief on the left earcup connector leaving a half inch or so of bare wire after a few months of heavy, but quite careful, use. I wrapped it in a whole lot of heavy electrical tape and have had no issues after several months of heavy (but even more careful) use. I have a similar cable (actually slightly nicer splitter and 1/4 plug) for the HD6XX

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2018 at 10:54 PM Post #8,224 of 9,319
Good to see there is member support for the HD700. I've owned my HD700 about a week now and loving 'em. Don't feel the need to mod, but am intrigued. Previously owned the HD600 and HD650, but personally could not enjoy them...not saying bad HPs as obviously revered by many, just not for my ears.
I'm considering going balanced and picking up a new DAP with balanced output (no experience)...still doing research.

Jan 3, 2018 at 11:07 PM Post #8,225 of 9,319
Any of you hd700 guys have any opinion about running them into a Vali 2? I'm still reading back through the thread but thought i'd ask if any recent developments have come up that would sway someone to/away from the Schiit Vali 2 as a viable option.

Jan 3, 2018 at 11:12 PM Post #8,226 of 9,319
I've been into audio for over 8 years and I really think you should find a dac/amp or dac and amp combo you like first. And then worry about the headphone. You can drastically shape how a headphone sounds by the amp/dac combo. Most of the complaints I've heard about the HD700 is how vocals aren't foward. On my current setup vocals are piercing and the bass hits decent.

Jan 3, 2018 at 11:36 PM Post #8,227 of 9,319
I've been into audio for over 8 years and I really think you should find a dac/amp or dac and amp combo you like first. And then worry about the headphone. You can drastically shape how a headphone sounds by the amp/dac combo. Most of the complaints I've heard about the HD700 is how vocals aren't foward. On my current setup vocals are piercing and the bass hits decent.
I started a year ago with higher quality audio and wholeheartedly agree that the chain is definitely the most important part of getting the sound you want. Some headphones though, especially the HD700, tend to expose what a dac/amp are capable of but in the end it's all about proper pairing. Certain pairings will make your ears get pierced by the treble spikes, others will tend to even it out with some warmth. It's all preference as to whether you prefer a clean analytical sound or you want that rich warmth organic sound that an R2R ladder dac/amp combo may provide. I've never had a problem with vocals being "not forward", I think that problem tends to be the huge mid-dip in the frequency response that all the sennheisers are known for and the HD700 being the most offensive, but certain pairings will help even that out as well. WIth my Mimby/Magni3 combo the HD700s with modhouse mod actually hits well in the low frequencies and there are no piercing or recessed vocals at all.

Jan 3, 2018 at 11:58 PM Post #8,228 of 9,319
Thanks for the thorough impressions. What i understand from this is the HD700's need to be paired well with an amp. Would you think a Vali 2 (+Modi 2) would be a good starting point? I've got the headphones already. They're fine but they're not worth anything plugged into my computer directly.
I'm taking them up to a local audio store tomorrow to "test" out whatever they have in stock.

Jan 4, 2018 at 2:53 AM Post #8,229 of 9,319
Good to see there is member support for the HD700. I've owned my HD700 about a week now and loving 'em. Don't feel the need to mod, but am intrigued. Previously owned the HD600 and HD650, but personally could not enjoy them...not saying bad HPs as obviously revered by many, just not for my ears.
I'm considering going balanced and picking up a new DAP with balanced output (no experience)...still doing research.
I did try balanced with AK120 II fed into Yulong A28. It was not an upgrade that wowed me vs just the $150 Aune T1. Hugo1 was a significant upgrade, it plays to HD700's strengths. With HD700 + Hugo-1, I had reached my end game on desktop side.

Jan 4, 2018 at 4:49 AM Post #8,230 of 9,319
Are you guys seriously saying that the dac/amp has more impact on the final result than the headphones? If so I respectfully and wholeheartedly disagree.

In my experience the headphones are by far what have the most influence for the sound. If one find a pair of headphones one really doesn't like I seriously doubt that any amp/dac in the world can make that person love them. If on the other hand one find a pair of headphones one enjoy it's definitely possible to take them even further with the right pairing. I'd definitely recommend starting with finding a headphone that suits ones preferences and take it from there.

Just my 2c......

Jan 4, 2018 at 8:29 AM Post #8,232 of 9,319
Are you guys seriously saying that the dac/amp has more impact on the final result than the headphones? If so I respectfully and wholeheartedly disagree.

In my experience the headphones are by far what have the most influence for the sound. If one find a pair of headphones one really doesn't like I seriously doubt that any amp/dac in the world can make that person love them. If on the other hand one find a pair of headphones one enjoy it's definitely possible to take them even further with the right pairing. I'd definitely recommend starting with finding a headphone that suits ones preferences and take it from there.

Just my 2c......

Yep! I have found that having an OTL (for high impedance cans) and an SS amp helps. I also have some mid-tier dacs (multibit, DS, and NOS) but still agree that it's the headphones that really make the difference for me.

Jan 4, 2018 at 10:01 AM Post #8,233 of 9,319
Are you guys seriously saying that the dac/amp has more impact on the final result than the headphones?

I would say that it is the combination of all three: DAC/AMP/Headphones. If you can go to a Can Jam or local Hi End Audio shop and bring your Headphones and Music so you can try the different combos.....This will eliminate the purchase of something you might not like. Keep in mind it will take some time to find the right Combo so don't get frustrated....We all listen to different types of music as well and that will impact the Combo too. However, once you find the right DAC/AMP/Headphone you like.....Enjoy. Don't change the combination. My problem is I keep wanting to upgrade and find a new DAC/AMP combo. I'll never learn.

Happy Listening!

Jan 4, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #8,234 of 9,319

Just my 2c......

I say this because I owned a pair of hd650 paired with centrance m8 and they sounded good. I thought it was the headphones so I sold the m8. When I tried other amp/dacs with the hd650 it sounded flat and boring. About 4 months ago I bought the m8 again and realized it was the reason the hd650 sounded good. The same can be said for the hd700. They sound unimpressive on the dac/amps I have and amazing on the m8. The sound sig I heard from hd650 paired with the m8 sounds very close to the hd700 paired with the m8.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back