Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by windsor, May 31, 2012.
  1. trellus
    Ah, yeah, I’m not a fan of the red, but I was too cheap to spend more nor did I want to order from anyone with whom I have no experience on return policy. I know Amazon has my back.

2. MrMan
    SO TRUE! This is my problem right now. I might order the cable you mentioned. I've been in audio for over 8 years and this is the only thing I've noticed about cable. Tin = Trash, Copper = Best and Silver raises treble. Also if you are getting a custom cable made ask for silver solder. No matter how hard you try you won't be able to rip 2 wires apart that have a silver soldered joint.

3. s2kPanda
    Man these are some of the most polarizing opinions I have read on the HD700s. I would suggest to anyone in doing the modhouse mod on these if you want to bring to life the soundstage, sub-bass and bass region and fix the treble spikes. Vocals sound great with the mod and they don't have the piercing spike. The HD700 + mod makes me feeling getting the HD6xx was such a waste of money.

4. Krutsch
    Interesting reading these recent posts. It's a similar story with the HD-700 and the HD-650: the amp makes the experience.

Not hard to understand why Sennheiser went with a lower impedance driver for their new HD-660S.

The longer I live with my HD-700, the more it becomes my daily driver.

Sennheiser, i luvmusic 2 and DavidA like this.
  5. Leeco
    I think the headphones are like women ... in a sense other people can help you meet the one [headphone or a woman] you might like, but you can't force magic, if you know what I mean.
    I have HD700 paired with Fostex HP-A8 dac/amp and they are "magical" to me.
    As much as Head-Fi can help you with headphones, it [Head-Fi] has the ability to "ruin" it for you. 15 years ago I completely stopped listening to music because it wasn't any fun. I spend most of my time analyzing my gear and listening to Head-Fi-er's recommended albums instead of enjoying the music I liked...
    The best advice is to meet as many girls (or headphones :D) as you can and get the "experience" for yourself.
    If you find the one that makes your music sound magical, stay with it and don't listen to the nay-sayers. Find your own magic. You are not like everyone else and your choice might reflect that.
    And yes, I L.O.V.E. my HD700. :p

Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    Sennheiser, DavidA, trellus and 2 others like this.
  6. DavidA
    @Leeco , very well said, I've been very lucky to have many great women and headphones (and cars, wine, etc) in my life so far.

7. Marlowe
    Modhouse has a very inexpensive kit for this mod. Although I don't have the problems with the stock HD700 that many do, I'd be interested in trying this. Is the mod as easy to install (and uninstall) as the video suggests? One constant in my life from kindergarten to retirement is that I am incompetent at anything resembling arts and crafts (or shop--one reason I've never considered the BH Crack) although I can generally follow easy assembly directions.

BTW, if you think opinions on the HD700 are polarizing here, take a look at SBAF. The HD700 is so hated there that it has pretty much been disappeared like a dissident in a fascist regime; the Sennheiser line of open mid-fi/hi-fi cans there pretty much reads HD600, HD650, 6XX, 660S, and HD800. The few times the HD700 is mentioned positively there, the commenter is digitally tarred and feathered and ridden on a rail out of the virtual community.

8. s2kPanda
    I think the goal was to be able to
    Yeah the mod is very simple just as the videos suggest. Only slightly sticky but taking it off takes like 30 seconds. SBAF hates everything so I wouldn't really care too much about their opinions. They are hardcore objectivists and if anything is wrong with graphs, charts or anything they'll poo all over the headphones.

9. peter123
    SBAF hates everything but the HD650 and all Massdrop exclusives :wink:

10. Marlowe
    Well, they do like most Schiit gear in its price range (as do I). I get a lot of useful information there, but it is quite possibly the most unfriendly, and even hostile, forum I've ever seen. I don't want to turn this into a major, or even minor, discussion, since it's both off topic and rude, but since they bash Head-Fi regularly, I don't feel too bad about a single negative comment.

trellus likes this.
  11. MrMan
    I got a challenge. Who has the worst stock HD700 cable. I think I got this won.

[​IMG]

12. DavidA
    I don't have a current picture of my stock cable but it had retained the kinks even after a few months of hanging a weight, using a heat gun, hair dryer, and in a garment bag in the dryer. But your does look pretty kinky :ksc75smile:

13. mathi8vadhanan
    I've been using the non-sleeved one for close to 4 years now. It still holds surprisingly well (for $25) and no difference in sound vs stock cable.

[​IMG]

trellus and TC44 like this.
  14. DavidA
    Since everyone is showing their cables:
    My stock cable, its still kinked up
    HD700 Stock Cable.jpg

My current Canare cable:
    HD700 Canare Cable.jpg

trellus and TC44 like this.
  15. MrMan
    I said F it and ordered this cable. Its amazon prime so if i dislike it I can always return it.

[​IMG]

trellus likes this.