Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Jan 4, 2018 at 11:22 AM Post #8,236 of 9,298
The HD700 model is more than 5 years old... are they any chances to see a newer replacement coming soon? I still wait before proceeding on such purchase...

Honestly, I wouldn't expect a new version. Sennheiser has so far made many variations of the old-school HD580 (HD600, HD650, HD6XX, HD660S, and soon HD58X) all of similar design with some sonic differences. So to have they updated the HD800 to the HD800S but some may prefer the less expensive original HD800. With the HD700, it doesn't have the same enthusiast following, but it is still being sold to the general high-fidelity maket (many who neither care nor have time for our audio forums). Seeing Sennheiser's track record, they only release a handful of major iterations to their core headphones each decade and, in addition, they create a few unique one offs and I think the HD700 along with the HD630VB are such cases. So if you can get an HD700 for a good price, you can be pretty safe in knowing that it is still going to be a great headphone even if a new version was released - that new version may have some small changes but not enough to completely offset the value / quality of the original.

Jan 4, 2018 at 11:49 AM Post #8,237 of 9,298
Honestly, I wouldn't expect a new version. Sennheiser has so far made many variations of the old-school HD580 (HD600, HD650, HD6XX, HD660S, and soon HD58X) all of similar design with some sonic differences. So to have they updated the HD800 to the HD800S but some may prefer the less expensive original HD800. With the HD700, it doesn't have the same enthusiast following, but it is still being sold to the general high-fidelity maket (many who neither care nor have time for our audio forums). Seeing Sennheiser's track record, they only release a handful of major iterations to their core headphones each decade and, in addition, they create a few unique one offs and I think the HD700 along with the HD630VB are such cases. So if you can get an HD700 for a good price, you can be pretty safe in knowing that it is still going to be a great headphone even if a new version was released - that new version may have some small changes but not enough to completely offset the value / quality of the original.

And judging by your signature, it looks like you like their one offs. I wonder if there's some correlation between the people who like the HD 700 and HD 630VB -- I tend to doubt as they are very different headphones, but it's probably just coincidence that besides liking the oft-despised HD 700, I also am highly likely to buy the oft-ignored HD 630VB, so I guess I'm a fan of their one-off's, too.

Jan 4, 2018 at 12:06 PM Post #8,238 of 9,298
And judging by your signature, it looks like you like their one offs. I wonder if there's some correlation between the people who like the HD 700 and HD 630VB -- I tend to doubt as they are very different headphones, but it's probably just coincidence that besides liking the oft-despised HD 700, I also am highly likely to buy the oft-ignored HD 630VB, so I guess I'm a fan of their one-off's, too.

Haha, thanks Trellus and yes, I'm an appreciator of black-sheep and outliers. :wink:

But actually, I'm more curious and have had enough experience with Sennheiser to know that I generally like what they do with their headsets, I 'get' their design philosophy. The HD630VB actually has some qualities that match my LCD2, just in a smaller more portable format. It is not quite as effortless as my LCD2 though, but close, and that is pretty crazy. If you liked the signature HD25 1-II and Amperior, clarity of the HD700 , signature of the LCD2, bass and clarity of the Denon AH-D2000 then add bass that can surpass the levels of all of those but can also be neutral - imagine they all mutated together, you might really like the HD630VB. They are just incredible for laying in bed and soaking up sound at low-volumes or going for a walk and having such quality on-the-go. :)

The other one-off I like is the HD250, though really this is an extension of the HD530, HD540 and HD560 lineage, just a closed version. Though it was revived as the HD250 Linear Mk2. The HD250, few know around here like the HD540, but that generation rivals and, depending on taste surpasses HD650, HD700, HD800 in natural tone with technicalities not far behind modern headphones. While my LCD2 is exquisite in its own right, my older HD250 Linear has a more faithful mid-to-high range, even more so than the HD650/600. It's almost if Sennheiser developed these killer headphones and then decided to experiment afterward with unique designs (HD800, HD700, and HD630VB). I'm fine with that, as to me headphone are essentially an instrument body, with their own characteristics.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #8,239 of 9,298
Well you have hd650s and hd700s which scale better with a better chain. Just the way things work for certain headphones. Other headphones could literally sound the same with anything.

So that got me thinking. Maybe its an Ohm thing.

Jan 4, 2018 at 8:49 PM Post #8,240 of 9,298
Well you have hd650s and hd700s which scale better with a better chain. Just the way things work for certain headphones. Other headphones could literally sound the same with anything.
The HD700 and HD650/HD600/HD660S appeal to a different audience to me and shouldn't be compared to each other since their sound signatures are quite different and to me pair with different genres of music. As to which scales better, I'd say they both scale about the same but my choice of amp for both would be different: OTL for HD650 and warm SS or hybrid for the HD700.

Jan 6, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #8,241 of 9,298
So I gave the 700s a second chance and putting back the Vokshods in my Valhalla, letting it warm up till it's hot to the touch and using the HD800 equalizer which flattens out the 700's curve to match the 800's you get a lot of detail. I was spooked by some detail I've heard in songs before forever. I still don't recommend them for mids as they still sound a bit harsh, but they're great for beats. I might be keeping my 700s after all. Just need a solid amp upgrade with the best tubes I can afford for detail and soundstage to match. This is what originally made me enjoy these cans. Well recorded source music only though, as anything less than 320 or AIFF files sound flat.

warm SS or hybrid for the HD700.
I'd definently say tubes as it pairs well with the 700s depth and soundstage. Neutral tubes don't stifle the 700s as much. I felt suffocated with them using Orange Globes and JJ Gold Pins.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2018 at 2:17 PM Post #8,242 of 9,298
These two Amps drive the heck out of the HD 700's
Little Dot MK III with NOS Tung Sol 6SN7 Power Tubes and C3G Driver Tubes 2 .jpg

Western Electric 421 A.jpg

Jan 6, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #8,243 of 9,298
As far as relatively affordable Tube Amps. Of course one can spend additional $$$ on NOS Tubes.

Jan 6, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #8,245 of 9,298
These two Amps drive the heck out of the HD 700's

The LD MK III does a fine job with the 700s, but I like the Valhalla II a little more (using stock power tubes, Tung-Sol 2C51 driver tubes). This setup is certainly not night and day, or even close, compared to the LD, but it seems to give me a bit better separation and sound stage, as well as a bit more bass. (Both amps do a significantly better job with the 700s than the Magni 2U, which is OK with them but can be a bit harsh.) Also, and this is certainly entirely subjective, I just find the Schiit amp to be more pleasing to look at and to touch than the LD. It feels much more solid (though both amps weigh about the same). While the LD appears to be well built, to me it looks both dated and sort of DIY. I guess those things shouldn't matter, but I can't deny that they do for me.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2018 at 5:01 PM Post #8,246 of 9,298
They drive it well but how does it sound to you? That's what I'm curious about since my Magni 3 can drive the HD700s easily and so can my OP3T (albeit much less detailed and only loud enough to listen). I have a Elemental Watson coming and wanna know what tubes can do.
s2kPanda:
They sound great! The Darkvoice has more power and low end. (drives the HD700'd with ease) I don't ever need to go past 9:00 on the Volume. OTL Amps do a nice job with the 150 Ohm HD 700's. My Schiit Asgard also does a fine job but the Darkvoice is better. The Schiit Asgard is way better at driving my LCD-XC's though.

Jan 6, 2018 at 5:03 PM Post #8,247 of 9,298
I just find the Schiit amp to be more pleasing to look at and to touch than the LD
Marlowe:

How have you been?

I agree all Schiit is great!!
Audeze LCD-XC and Schiit Mjolnir 3.jpg

Schiit Stack.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back