Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Jan 16, 2017 at 7:28 AM Post #7,381 of 9,326
@Malfunkt, the ODAC/O2 was about the worst pairing for the HD-700 I've ever heard.  It was overly harsh, sibilant and thin to me and pretty much to everyone that heard this pairing.  The HD-700 with either a OTL or Hybrid was so much better in tone and musicality.  I really like it with either my BH Crack, Lyr2, or Ember but they also paired very well with a Liquid Carbon, Liquid Glass, Hugo, HA-501, and G-109.  FWIW my girlfriend used to use my Fiio X3 and her HD-700 almost every day when she walked our dog but she never could stand the ODAC/O2.  With the HD-650 the ODAC/O2 is a much better pairing but its still lacking if compared to other amps.  Per one of the other posters its has something to do with harmonics which is also why the ODAC/O2 is not a good match for the HD-800.

Yeah, I have looked at it, however I am nt sure which I would prefer. Also, if I was to get the Lyr 2, then I would have to get the Modi 2 Uber and not the Multibit version.

I think both will sound really similar though correct?

So Valhalla 2 and Modi 2 Multibit or Lyr 2 and Modi 2 Uber. Not sure which would sound better for gaming and music

which ever way you go don't forget to add a little cost for tubes since the ones shipped with either the Valhalla2 or Lyr2 are on the brighter side IMO.  I would leave around $100 for 2 pairs of tubes like Amperex or Mullards which have a slightly warmer tone

Jan 16, 2017 at 7:39 AM Post #7,382 of 9,326
  @Malfunkt, the ODAC/O2 was about the worst pairing for the HD-700 I've ever heard.  It was overly harsh, sibilant and thin to me and pretty much to everyone that heard this pairing.  The HD-700 with either a OTL or Hybrid was so much better in tone and musicality.  I really like it with either my BH Crack, Lyr2, or Ember but they also paired very well with a Liquid Carbon, Liquid Glass, Hugo, HA-501, and G-109.  FWIW my girlfriend used to use my Fiio X3 and her HD-700 almost every day when she walked our dog but she never could stand the ODAC/O2.  With the HD-650 the ODAC/O2 is a much better pairing but its still lacking if compared to other amps.  Per one of the other posters its has something to do with harmonics which is also why the ODAC/O2 is not a good match for the HD-800.

which ever way you go don't forget to add a little cost for tubes since the ones shipped with either the Valhalla2 or Lyr2 are on the brighter side IMO.  I would leave around $100 for 2 pairs of tubes like Amperex or Mullards which have a slightly warmer tone

Thanks for the tip. I've read a number of your contributions on the thread and it helped me get interested in the HD700.

I'm a pretty analytical listener, so I have no qualms at all with the O2/ODAC. This is exactly the sound I was looking for !  I know, some people would run in horror.

HD700 = "worst headphone" for some

O2 = "worst amp" for some.

HD700 + 02 = for me, sonic transfusion.

I'm getting some very holographic imaging happening with this setup. Luckily (?) I'm in the midst of pulling an all-nighter working on a website, so I've been having a listening session all-night. :)

Jan 16, 2017 at 7:46 AM Post #7,383 of 9,326
  Thanks for the tip. I've read a number of your contributions on the thread and it helped me get interested in the HD700.

I'm a pretty analytical listener, so I have no qualms at all with the O2/ODAC. This is exactly the sound I was looking for !  I know, some people would run in horror.

HD700 = "worst headphone" for some

O2 = "worst amp" for some.

HD700 + 02 = for me, sonic transfusion.

I'm getting some very holographic imaging happening with this setup. Luckily (?) I'm in the midst of pulling an all-nighter working on a website, so I've been having a listening session all-night. :)

If it works for you then that's great.

There is one thing I noticed that you said which is key, the recording have to be of high quality which is really important with headphones like the HD-700, HD-800 and T1.  Also, you seem to like classical so the short comings of the HD-700 and O2 might not be a issue with those genres unlike pop or easy listening where the recordings are not the best and the harmonic distortions actually make the sound more euphoric.

Jan 16, 2017 at 7:55 AM Post #7,384 of 9,326
I think I must be deaf, none of Fiio's amps sounded different compared to the O2, except for the noise and hissing.

Though, pop music (at least the ones I listen to) generally aren't as sibilant and thin as back in the noughties. In fact, some of them are actually very lush.

Jan 16, 2017 at 8:25 AM Post #7,385 of 9,326
  If it works for you then that's great.

There is one thing I noticed that you said which is key, the recording have to be of high quality which is really important with headphones like the HD-700, HD-800 and T1.  Also, you seem to like classical so the short comings of the HD-700 and O2 might not be a issue with those genres unlike pop or easy listening where the recordings are not the best and the harmonic distortions actually make the sound more euphoric.

Hi DavidA, absolutely. I think more people on head-fi should start seeing headphones that are recording dependent as a potential strength.

Everyone's definition of high-fidelity, is a bit different. Even though we may go to live concerts, its another experience entirely to listen to some high-end studio monitors in treated room, or a high-end 2-channel setup. Even if you have, one can forget just how intense some of these setups can be. 

I've been having to keep myself up while working. So I've been playing some select tracks of psy-trance (Zyce, Sideform, etc) and upbeat electronic music. I used to DJ, and have played some large outdoor festivals. The HD700 is pretty damn close to what it sounds like being in the midst of the crowd, and having a loud (sometimes dangerously so) speaker stack playing - minus the actual physical sub-bass impact. 

I have my Denon's in reach, which are very good, and have a sparkly treble and more bass quantity. But I'm really liking the sound of the HD700's bass and how it cuts through with the rest of frequency spectrum. 

Point being, HD700 are awesome :)  

Jan 16, 2017 at 8:37 AM Post #7,386 of 9,326
@Malfunkt, I'm glad you are one who actually took a chance with the HD-700 and glad that they are working out great for you.

Quote:
I think I must be deaf, none of Fiio's amps sounded different compared to the O2, except for the noise and hissing.

Though, pop music (at least the ones I listen to) generally aren't as sibilant and thin as back in the noughties. In fact, some of them are actually very lush.

I don't think you're deaf, maybe just not used to listening to the very small differences.  For  me the O2 just made most of my headphones have a thin and very analytical sound, not my preferred sound signature but with others like the HD-700, HD-800 and T1 it was like a chalk board screech at times with some songs. 

I want the music to relax and entertain me so looking for neutral or natural is not really the most important consideration for me.

Jan 16, 2017 at 12:23 PM Post #7,387 of 9,326
Being offered a Valhalla 2 AMP (Ex-Demo, only used recently) for £320 instead of £360 with full warranty. Is it worth it, otherwise I have to wait 2 weeks for them to come in stock. Any problems with AMPs and Ex-Demos? Was used for a show apparently. It is from Schiit themselves though

Jan 16, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #7,388 of 9,326
If it comes from Schiit and full warranty I see no problems.

Jan 16, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #7,389 of 9,326

Hi DavidA, absolutely. I think more people on head-fi should start seeing headphones that are recording dependent as a potential strength.

@Malfunkt A fantastic write-up. Completely agree with you on the suitability for classical tracks. Following @DavidA's advice, I can barely stand my HD-700s with a solid-state amp, but with the right tubes and suitable music, I think they are pure magic.

Jan 16, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #7,390 of 9,326

@Malfunkt A fantastic write-up. Completely agree with you on the suitability for classical tracks. Following @DavidA's advice, I can barely stand my HD-700s with a solid-state amp, but with the right tubes and suitable music, I think they are pure magic.

Thanks Krutsch, I have a feeling I would really like a tube amp with the HD700, even it isn't completely 'accurate', it's also about being enjoyable and really - about being creative with this hobby. 

Was up all night working and listening to the HD700s. Can't wait to get back to my home office and listen more  - even though I need sleep! I can't remember the last time I felt this way about a single piece of audio gear. 

Jan 16, 2017 at 1:47 PM Post #7,391 of 9,326
Great to see another happy head-fier with the HD700. Treat these hp's right and they are literally unbeatable at the price. Especially for classical - the only other hp that I've heard that beats them is the HD800. 

Also, have to agree on an OTL amp with these. The difference is night and day.  

Jan 16, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #7,392 of 9,326
Yeah, I have looked at it, however I am nt sure which I would prefer. Also, if I was to get the Lyr 2, then I would have to get the Modi 2 Uber and not the Multibit version.

I think both will sound really similar though correct?

So Valhalla 2 and Modi 2 Multibit or Lyr 2 and Modi 2 Uber. Not sure which would sound better for gaming and music

Never heard that amp, so cannot comment on it, I got other cans that need the power of a Lyr 2 so I went with that. Think you should go with the Modi 2 multibit as a dac. If you don`t have low ohm inefficient cans the Valhala 2 should be a good choice.

Jan 16, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #7,393 of 9,326
  Never heard that amp, so cannot comment on it, I got other cans that need the power of a Lyr 2 so I went with that. Think you should go with the Modi 2 multibit as a dac. If you don`t have low ohm inefficient cans the Valhala 2 should be a good choice.

Alright, will try and get the open box Valhalla 2 tomorrow :)

Jan 17, 2017 at 7:24 AM Post #7,394 of 9,326
Hi everyone. Did anybody here drived hd700 with nfb-11 as a dac and lyr2 as an amp ?

What do you guys think about this combo?

Is there a better paring choice to get the best detail sound auto of this headphone?

Jan 17, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #7,395 of 9,326
  Thanks Krutsch, I have a feeling I would really like a tube amp with the HD700, even it isn't completely 'accurate', it's also about being enjoyable and really - about being creative with this hobby. 

Was up all night working and listening to the HD700s. Can't wait to get back to my home office and listen more  - even though I need sleep! I can't remember the last time I felt this way about a single piece of audio gear. 

Malfunkt:

I use a Little Dot MK III with a Schiit Bifrost.  Check out the Tubes I use:

Electro-Harmonix 6H30Pi for the Power Tubes.
Telefunken 5654 for the Driver Tubes.

(Power Cord is MIT Shotgun AC 1 and Interconnects are MIT Matrix 6)

Yes the HD 700's are awesome.  Also one of the most comfortable Headphones.  By the way, I did upgrade the cable to a Black Dragon v2 and for me it made a big difference.  Tight Bass, smooth Mids and Highs.

Happy Listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back