Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Jan 17, 2017 at 6:12 PM Post #7,396 of 9,326
I just ordered the Valhalla 2 AMP for my HD 700 (new, came in stock) might be here tomorrow :)

I do not have a DAC yet, so would I need to use a RCA to 3.5/6.3mm to connect it to my onboard audio. If so, does that come in the Schiit box?

Jan 18, 2017 at 12:12 AM Post #7,397 of 9,326
  I just ordered the Valhalla 2 AMP for my HD 700 (new, came in stock) might be here tomorrow :)

I do not have a DAC yet, so would I need to use a RCA to 3.5/6.3mm to connect it to my onboard audio. If so, does that come in the Schiit box?

no cables are included with the Valhalla2.  You will need a 3.5mm TRS to RCA cable to go from onboard audio to the Valhalla2

Like this: https://www.amazon.com/Ugreen-Plated-Auxiliary-Stereo-Splitter/dp/B00LM2Y2U4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1484716345&sr=8-1&keywords=3.5+to+rca

Jan 18, 2017 at 11:06 AM Post #7,398 of 9,326
I dropped them last night.  So sad to see them laying on the floor like that.  Anyway, one of the ear cups popped off and it gave me a heart attack.  None of the plastic tabs were broken or anything, and I managed to gently reattach the ear cup, although I didn't really now what I was doing.  I just laid it in place and gently turned it and it just went back in.  Seems fine.  Anyway, glad they still work.  God I hate dropping my special gear like that.  I'm not liking that they dropped.  Are these fairly durable in your experience?  I'm a little paranoid that the drivers might have been tweaked or something although they sound fine so far.  Also, these are currently going for a great price on Amazon for $420. 

Jan 18, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #7,399 of 9,326
  I dropped them last night.  So sad to see them laying on the floor like that.  Anyway, one of the ear cups popped off and it gave me a heart attack.  None of the plastic tabs were broken or anything, and I managed to gently reattach the ear cup, although I didn't really now what I was doing.  I just laid it in place and gently turned it and it just went back in.  Seems fine.  Anyway, glad they still work.  God I hate dropping my special gear like that.  I'm not liking that they dropped.  Are these fairly durable in your experience?  I'm a little paranoid that the drivers might have been tweaked or something although they sound fine so far.  Also, these are currently going for a great price on Amazon for $420. 

drop or no drop there is always paranoia

is the left louder than the right?

bass boost - oh crap did i overboost???? and damage drivers

etc etc :p

its all in the head ... most of the time :p

happy_face1.gif

Jan 18, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #7,400 of 9,326
  no cables are included with the Valhalla2.  You will need a 3.5mm TRS to RCA cable to go from onboard audio to the Valhalla2

Like this: https://www.amazon.com/Ugreen-Plated-Auxiliary-Stereo-Splitter/dp/B00LM2Y2U4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1484716345&sr=8-1&keywords=3.5+to+rca

Just got my Valhalla 2 in the UK, although not got the cables so it is just sitting there, haha. Uses the 6H1N (Driver) and 6H6N (Power) tubes

Jan 18, 2017 at 3:57 PM Post #7,401 of 9,326

So far I'm 3 for 3.  My 700's are connected to my Valhalla 2/Bifrost sitting on my kitchen table repurposed into my computer center.  If they're not on my head, the 700's hang over the back of one of the chairs.  I've knocked them off the chair and onto the carpeted floor once and twice the cable got snagged between my leg and the table, snapping the headphones out of my hands and onto the floor.  All three times one or both of the cups have come off, but was able to snap them back in place no worse for wear.  I'm thinking I'm wearing out my luck and the third time really was the charm, so I'm trying to be damned careful now!  Since they are only plastic not designed for extensive use you (and I) shouldn't make it a habit!

Jan 19, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #7,402 of 9,326
Just a quick question, when connecting an AMP to PC. I use 3.5 to RCA. However, does the 3.5 go into line in or line out on the Motherboard.

Also, where would the RCA connectors go into the AMP, Input or Output

Thanks

Jan 19, 2017 at 11:59 AM Post #7,403 of 9,326
Just a quick question, when connecting an AMP to PC. I use 3.5 to RCA. However, does the 3.5 go into line in or line out on the Motherboard.

Also, where would the RCA connectors go into the AMP, Input or Output

Thanks
Line out from computer and line in on amp.

Jan 19, 2017 at 12:19 PM Post #7,404 of 9,326
Line out from computer and line in on amp.

Thanks, I have to say it sounds so good with the HD 700(even without burn in) there are some sounds that I have heard before in songs, I guess due to the sounds being amplified.

Might be electronic interference, however when nothing is being played there is a static sound. It is constant and changes volume (static) when I turn down the AMP and turn up the OS based volume, it is not as loud. Getting the DAC next month, however I will get an extension which filters the interference

Sorry, I know this is the HD 700 thread :)

Jan 19, 2017 at 12:42 PM Post #7,405 of 9,326
Thanks, I have to say it sounds so good with the HD 700(even without burn in) there are some sounds that I have heard before in songs, I guess due to the sounds being amplified.

Might be electronic interference, however when nothing is being played there is a static sound. It is not constant and changes volume (static) when I turn down the AMP and turn up the OS based volume, it is not as loud. Getting the DAC next month, however I will get an extension which filters the interference

Sorry, I know this is the HD 700 thread :)
I always have the OS volume at max. I would guess your getting some interference from the computer power supply or some other component inside. A dac will likely cut that down .

Jan 19, 2017 at 12:46 PM Post #7,406 of 9,326
I always have the OS volume at max. I would guess your getting some interference from the computer power supply or some other component inside. A dac will likely cut that down .

Just noticed I open up a game and the static is constant and quite loud (on desktop it is not constant, most of the time you cannot hear it) will order an extension filter plug

Jan 19, 2017 at 8:50 PM Post #7,408 of 9,326
Jan 20, 2017 at 10:06 AM Post #7,409 of 9,326
I just heard the HD800 and HD800S for the first time ever. Listened for about an hour or so and my oh my are they a treat. Connected to an Audiolab M-One, the soundstage is better and the overall sound more coherent then the HD700 on my setup. But who knows, maybe the M-One is the main difference maker here :))

Jan 20, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #7,410 of 9,326
  I just heard the HD800 and HD800S for the first time ever. Listened for about an hour or so and my oh my are they a treat. Connected to an Audiolab M-One, the soundstage is better and the overall sound more coherent then the HD700 on my setup. But who knows, maybe the M-One is the main difference maker here :))

Which one did you like best? And why... :) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back