Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Mar 27, 2016 at 3:39 PM Post #6,076 of 9,320
Thanks, what are you using out of interest?

Right now a Cavalli Liquid Carbon and QP1R.  I just sold a Valhalla 2 and it was pretty good with the 700's just needed money for a new DAC.

Mar 27, 2016 at 6:51 PM Post #6,077 of 9,320
Thanks; the Cavalli stuff looks nice! The Valhalla looks decent too & seems a good match for the 700's from what I've read.

Mar 27, 2016 at 7:03 PM Post #6,078 of 9,320
I had the Valhalla and the Lyr with the 700's. I have a Woo audio Wa6 now , and it's by far the better amp for the 700's.

I just recently dumped my old rig , and got the Wa6 , and 700's (for the 2nd time.) Lol.

Thanks; the Cavalli stuff looks nice! The Valhalla looks decent too & seems a good match for the 700's from what I've read.

Mar 27, 2016 at 7:09 PM Post #6,079 of 9,320
Anything Woo will work.The new Wa8 is one great little amp. I only listened to it with my Ether-C's but it was top notch.

Mar 27, 2016 at 8:16 PM Post #6,080 of 9,320
  I wanted to build a Crack for the 700's and was told it was not a good pairing as the Crack was better suited for 300 ohm or higher cans.

The BH Crack is actually pretty good with the HD-700 but it depends on the tubes that you are using.  I was informed that depending on the tubes used the output impedance of the Bh Crack will vary and that the TS-5998 has one of the lower output impedance of power tubes so that it works with the HD-700 quite well.
  Anything Woo will work.The new Wa8 is one great little amp. I only listened to it with my Ether-C's but it was top notch.

Almost anything, had a WA7d, it was a disappointment to me, I know now that it was probably the DAC section holding it back but still for the price it wasn't very good.

Mar 28, 2016 at 1:28 AM Post #6,081 of 9,320
I use a WA7, and I love it.  Granted, I stopped using the built-in DAC once I got my Grace Design m920, but I never had any complaints.  I knew what I was getting, a good quality tube amp with a built-in DAC.  I never expected the two to be equal.  Remember, they are made by hand and they use good quality hardware and components (that volume knob is definitely custom, so there will be machining costs there, not to mention that custom piece of insanely clear glass; also, the transformers are custom Woo-made).  Custom components and hand-assembly will run up the price of something very quickly.

I'm curious how the new version of the WA7 will compare, since it has a newer DAC as well as an improved amp section (though I believe the improvement here is supposed to be pretty small).

Apr 5, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #6,082 of 9,320
I can't believe how disliked these headphones are. When I saw how much they cost these days, I thought id be reading a lot more recommendations around the forums. Tells you how much I know!
All I know is I love these phones with a nice 6db bass boost for my electronic and hip hop. Then when I want to play some battlefield 4 I turn off the eq and hear every footstep.
Other headphones I own start to sound muffled or sound quality degrades when I eq so much bass, but these headphones still sound great.
They are hooked up to my pc via hrt musicstreamer ii+ and Graham slee ultra linear diamond edition.

Apr 5, 2016 at 8:53 PM Post #6,083 of 9,320
I heard these through a Schiit Asgard and they sounded pretty good. I guess im not too big into the Sennheiser sound signature (except for the Sennheiser IE800 which I absolutely loved when I heard them). I definitely prefer them over the HD650's. 

Apr 8, 2016 at 11:52 PM Post #6,084 of 9,320
Hi all, just eager to mention that I have totally entered new Audio era with HD700. In fact, these are my first higher quality phones. After months of investigation and saving I bought them for 400$ - HD800 was too expensive and I have read that it is not so bassy (I listen all kinds of genres, but I favor lower frequency since my teenage years). So, I coupled these with O2+DAC(revB) and I think it is really nice system. I remember first listening to one Hi-Res record of the London symphony orchestra and my jaw dropped literally. After that I put the phones over my brother and saw his jaw also dropping... Even my girlfriend sometimes enjoys listening next to me 
biggrin.gif
And yeah - I deleted all lossy formats after that.

Apr 9, 2016 at 1:34 AM Post #6,085 of 9,320
  Hi all, just eager to mention that I have totally entered new Audio era with HD700. In fact, these are my first higher quality phones. After months of investigation and saving I bought them for 400$ - HD800 was too expensive and I have read that it is not so bassy (I listen all kinds of genres, but I favor lower frequency since my teenage years). So, I coupled these with O2+DAC(revB) and I think it is really nice system. I remember first listening to one Hi-Res record of the London symphony orchestra and my jaw dropped literally. After that I put the phones over my brother and saw his jaw also dropping... Even my girlfriend sometimes enjoys listening next to me 
biggrin.gif

Welcome to HD-700 thread and hope you continue to enjoy them
beerchug.gif

Apr 9, 2016 at 2:16 AM Post #6,086 of 9,320
biggrin.gif

Welcome! You might enjoy (while listening to your new kit) going back and reading some posts in this thread. There is some interesting conversations, debates, and even some entertaining (afterwards) trolling in here. Glad the number of people that see through the negative responses, is growing because they ARE indeed wonderful sounding headphones if you listen with your ears, and not with your mind (FR curve analyzers come to mind).

Apr 9, 2016 at 4:56 AM Post #6,087 of 9,320
biggrin.gif

Haha, lots of jaw dropping over there (which I can understand)
Sebastian-Omg-Jaw-Drop-In-The-Little-Mermaid.gif

and yes, they're open headphones
biggrin.gif

Hope you'll enjoy them for a long time...

Welcome! You might enjoy (while listening to your new kit) going back and reading some posts in this thread. There is some interesting conversations, debates, and even some entertaining (afterwards) trolling in here. Glad the number of people that see through the negative responses, is growing because they ARE indeed wonderful sounding headphones if you listen with your ears, and not with your mind (FR curve analyzers come to mind).

Absolutely!

I went auditioning the HD650/HD700/HD800 twice (brought my DX90 / Chord Hugo stack with me at that time) and the HD700 impressed me the most considering its price. The HD800 sounded slightly better (soundstage and details) to my ears, but I really enjoyed the HD700s darker signature immediately.
Btw, I also found the HD700 the most comfortable one of those three
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 9, 2016 at 1:06 PM Post #6,088 of 9,320
Thank you for all the warm words. It is really important to have a place where to belong.  I'm reading the whole thread as you suggested. I do not know what else to add - thank you again
popcorn.gif

Apr 9, 2016 at 2:08 PM Post #6,089 of 9,320
You're going through all 406 pages? Wow. That's... patience? 

Anyway I posted that I thought these were an acquired taste, not easily gotten over.  I know when I first heard the HD700's I hated them and was ready to return them. Honestly had it not been for a restocking fee, I would have. This is also a reminder why I should stick with Amazon, but that's another story.

Anyway I'm glad I actually kept them because I now find I like them a lot, especially for their airiness and spaciousness. And contrary to popular belief, they do drop the bass notes... they just aren't bass heavy headphone.  Anyway I posted my thoughts on them here and here.... since you're reading the whole thread anyway
smile.gif

And glad to hear you like yours.

Peace
cool.gif

Apr 9, 2016 at 8:54 PM Post #6,090 of 9,320
I am a recent HD700 listener and have posted a couple comments in the past. I'm not real experienced with phones; the last few years I've been using HD580s. In any event, I like the 700s a lot although, like some other listeners, find them to be too bright with a small percentage of recordings. Today, I happened to be listening to a cd entitled Lighthouse by Billy Barber on the DMP label. Sounded great.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back