Sennheiser HD 700 Impressions Thread
Mar 23, 2016 at 3:23 AM Post #6,062 of 9,320
I don't know if anyone else mentioned this, but the HD 700s are having a 47% off sale on Amazon.

The current price on Amazon is actually more of the standard price these days.  It's been as low as $425 recently, that I've seen anyways.

Mar 23, 2016 at 3:36 AM Post #6,063 of 9,320
I don't know if anyone else mentioned this, but the HD 700s are having a 47% off sale on Amazon.

Uh, no one is paying a $1000 dollars for those headphone today. It's like retail - no one pays retail price after an item has been in the market awhile.  And the current price of around $500 bucks is what they're going for today at most places. I myself paid $499 at Hi-Fi Heaven for them less than a month ago.  That 47% saving is just Amazon's way of pushing a sale.  And they may actually be cheaper elsewhere as in my purchase at Hi-Fi Heaven.

Mar 23, 2016 at 4:26 AM Post #6,064 of 9,320

Current MSRP according to Sennheiser $749.00...

Mar 26, 2016 at 2:34 PM Post #6,067 of 9,320
Until recently my opinions on Sennheiser had been influenced by my experience of some of their lower end offerings. Stupid I know and whilst that end of their product line offers some decent bang for buck, I was never impressed enough to investigate further. Again, stupid I know.

Until recently I suppose the most hi-fi of cans I'd had were my Grado 325i's which I loved.

Piqued by the weight of opinion around Sennheiser on head-fi though, I recently swapped a pair of PSB M4U1's (great closed back cans btw), for some HD600's with a fellow head-fier.

I was instantly struck by the HD600's clarity and neutrality which, enjoying the 'tizziness' of the Grados, wasn't something I was convinced I'd be taken by. Boy, was I wrong! I've not listened to so much music in a long time; they've helped breathe new life into the enjoyment I get to home listening.

Anyway, with the HD600 having reignited my interest, I started looking at the HD800's but for now they're a bit out of my price range. The HD700's though were within grasp. Despite the wide range of reviews they seem to draw, I went to demo them this morn; I like!!!

I liked them so much that I convinced the store to let me return my month old Oppo PM-3's in exchange for an open box pair of HD700's. I loved the Oppos for portable use but I can make do with my Momentum 2.0's for that as most of my listening is done at home. It was worth it to get my hands on the HD700's.

I'm only a couple of hours in on the HD700's but am made up with them so far.

Mar 26, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #6,069 of 9,320
Hi David - thanks and for the time being, yes. I'll more than likely sell them on though; I can't really justify more than one pair for home and another for portable use at the moment.

Mar 26, 2016 at 3:10 PM Post #6,070 of 9,320
Hi David - thanks and for the time being, yes. I'll more than likely sell them on though; I can't really justify more than one pair for home and another for portable use at the moment.

I'm glad that I can keep most of the headphones that I've had, love each for their different sound signatures.

Did you ever do mods on your SR-325?  I've been playing around with my SR-225e, tried wood cups which was a big jump up, have since put the drivers back in the original cups and done some mods, dynamat in the outer cups, sorbothane on the back of the driver and a felt patch on the back of the button, there is a nice change in the sound, better bass that goes a little lower, mids stay about the same and the highs are smoothed a little, better than my HD-600 and RS2e.

Mar 26, 2016 at 4:47 PM Post #6,071 of 9,320
I must admit I'd be more than happy to keep the 600's.

Turntable mods I've dabbled with but no, I've never tried anything headphone wise. I'd have been interested in hearing the 325's with wood cups; I'm still keen on trying some of the higher end Grados.

Mar 26, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #6,072 of 9,320
I must admit I'd be more than happy to keep the 600's.

Turntable mods I've dabbled with but no, I've never tried anything headphone wise. I'd have been interested in hearing the 325's with wood cups; I'm still keen on trying some of the higher end Grados.

Sending you a PM since its off topic from HD-700.

Mar 27, 2016 at 3:00 PM Post #6,073 of 9,320
Hi David - I remember you mentioning the BH Crack as a good partner for the 600's. How does it fair with the 700's? I'm using a chord mojo at the mo as combined amp/dac (which I love) but am curious whether an OTL might add a bit more warmth?

Mar 27, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #6,074 of 9,320
Hi David - I remember you mentioning the BH Crack as a good partner for the 600's. How does it fair with the 700's? I'm using a chord mojo at the mo as combined amp/dac (which I love) but am curious whether an OTL might add a bit more warmth?

I wanted to build a Crack for the 700's and was told it was not a good pairing as the Crack was better suited for 300 ohm or higher cans.

Mar 27, 2016 at 3:28 PM Post #6,075 of 9,320
I wanted to build a Crack for the 700's and was told it was not a good pairing as the Crack was better suited for 300 ohm or higher cans.

Thanks, what are you using out of interest?

Users who are viewing this thread

• tpal
Back