Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Mar 12, 2024 at 6:29 PM Post #6,331 of 6,501
I've noticed the HD 6xx line can vary some in terms of clamp. The HD 660S and HD 600 were perfectly fine out of the box. The HD 660S2 and HD 650 were vice grips and stayed so for a while. I had to end up stretching the S2 recently as it still didn't reduce as much as my other Senns.
Yes it definitely feels like it has the worst clamp of the bunch, and did take quite a bit more time to loosen up than my 600/650. The 600 oddly was just fine out of the box, clamp wasn't bad at all. But the 650 also had a strong clamp.

Mar 12, 2024 at 7:20 PM Post #6,332 of 6,501
Yes it definitely feels like it has the worst clamp of the bunch, and did take quite a bit more time to loosen up than my 600/650. The 600 oddly was just fine out of the box, clamp wasn't bad at all. But the 650 also had a strong clamp.
Oh so it's not just me then, I was confused why the clamp varied so much model to model. Oh so that may just be how they make them then, they adjust the clamp some depending on the model it seems. I think the clamp is a contributing factor to the fatigue I got with the S2. Going to give the HD 650 the same clamp reduction treatment. I think the initial clamp makes the S2 a little too warm sounding, same problem the T1.3 had new (also very clampy when new). But like the T1.3 once you reduce the clamp it becomes much more balanced sounding.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2024 at 10:41 AM Post #6,334 of 6,501
How hard to drive is the s2 actually?
i am using it on my k7 and i feel like i don't miss anything when it comes to power and quality
I don't find it hard to drive at all. I've run it on fairly low power amps like a Vali 2, m9xx, and even a Dragonfly Red. All gave it plenty of power. The Dragonfly was definitely straining, but it still sounded very good, albeit slower and less defined than the more powerful amps.

Mar 15, 2024 at 6:48 PM Post #6,335 of 6,501
I have to admit, I love the HD660S2s and the Meze 109 Pros. I am keeping them both.

20240315_174523.jpg

Mar 18, 2024 at 4:38 PM Post #6,338 of 6,501
I am planning on getting a pair of HD660s2 since they currently got a decent discount going in my country. I'm having a bit of a hard time deciding on a dac/amp combo to go along with them. I've mostly narrowed it down to Fiio K7, K11 and Topping DX3 Pro+. Currently leaning towards the K11 as it's newer, looks nice and seems powerful enough for my needs.

Anyone have some input to share that could make this decision a little easier?

Mar 18, 2024 at 9:52 PM Post #6,339 of 6,501
I am planning on getting a pair of HD660s2 since they currently got a decent discount going in my country. I'm having a bit of a hard time deciding on a dac/amp combo to go along with them. I've mostly narrowed it down to Fiio K7, K11 and Topping DX3 Pro+. Currently leaning towards the K11 as it's newer, looks nice and seems powerful enough for my needs.

Instead of going all solid state like your picks, get a Schiit Vali3 tube amp and pair it with the S.M.S.L SU-1 dac. The Vali3 will make those Sennheisers SING!

Edit: Save $40 and get the Vali2++ on last call. That's what I have and it's fantastic.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2024 at 10:44 AM Post #6,340 of 6,501

Out of the 3 I suggest avoiding DX3Pro+, it makes everything sound dry. I have it and looking to sell it. I think K7 is best out of the 3 and is the one that is less likely to disappoint. Don't know much about K11 though.

Mar 19, 2024 at 1:19 PM Post #6,341 of 6,501
Instead of going all solid state like your picks, get a Schiit Vali3 tube amp and pair it with the S.M.S.L SU-1 dac. The Vali3 will make those Sennheisers SING!

Edit: Save $40 and get the Vali2++ on last call. That's what I have and it's fantastic.
I don't think I want to go for a tube amp without trying it first. Schiit also have very limited availability in Norway.

Out of the 3 I suggest avoiding DX3Pro+, it makes everything sound dry. I have it and looking to sell it. I think K7 is best out of the 3 and is the one that is less likely to disappoint. Don't know much about K11 though.
Appreciate the input. The K7 is almost twice the price of K11, so I'm having a hard time justifying the price difference. The K7 definitely seems more futureproof though.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2024 at 3:06 PM Post #6,342 of 6,501
We are traveling and just bought the 660s2, and all I have with me to power it is the Questyle M15. All I can say is, WOW! I don't think I have ever enjoyed a headphone more. I can't wait to get home and hear it on my main rig.

IMO, it is more transparent and fixes the lack of treble and mushy bass in the 650, the lack of bass in the 600, and is more well rounded than the 800s.
I may have to do a bit of downsizing after this purchase!

edit for clarity

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2024 at 7:34 PM Post #6,343 of 6,501
Guys, wanna know a great combo!?
Amp is called Project Polaris and it pairs perfectly with 660s2 when you choose 32 ohm output R. Amp is very affordable and its made to sound like a tube amp. 660 sounds better from this little buddy than from my 2 lot more expensive amps.
Cable is a nice find, 40 euros from Ali.
20240302_050755.jpg
Could you please mention the brand/seller? I am looking for an aftermarket cable that’s easy to use around the house. Stock is usual Sennheiser stiff and heavy.

Open to any suggestion for an inexpensive possibly under $50 balanced 4.4mm cable.

Mar 19, 2024 at 7:51 PM Post #6,344 of 6,501
Mar 19, 2024 at 8:00 PM Post #6,345 of 6,501
Could you please mention the brand/seller? I am looking for an aftermarket cable that’s easy to use around the house. Stock is usual Sennheiser stiff and heavy.

Open to any suggestion for an inexpensive possibly under $50 balanced 4.4mm cable.
You know that cable just broke. Well, not the cable but the 6,3 connector fell into pieces by itself so I can't recommend the store. It's Lunashops though and they promised to send me a new one for free. We'll see.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back