Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Apr 26, 2024 at 5:51 PM Post #6,496 of 6,550
LoL so hard to pick a "shipwrecked island" can, I would probably go for my original marbled HD600 as they are ... smooth ... and comfortable :)

Apr 26, 2024 at 9:31 PM Post #6,497 of 6,550
• If you feel 660S2 (or other Senn 'six hundreds') are veiled, run it off a high impedance OTL h/p/a or off a high voltage delivery SS h/p/a. Then, replace the earside foams: IMG_5523.jpeg [fine mesh is used above]

Where can I get fine mesh like that?

Apr 26, 2024 at 9:43 PM Post #6,498 of 6,550
Where can I get fine mesh like that?
Thanks for that. I am not having a veiled problem with Lotoo Paw Gold Touch, but I am not so sure about other sources. Cheers.

Apr 26, 2024 at 9:45 PM Post #6,499 of 6,550
• If you feel 660S2 (or other Senn 'six hundreds') are veiled, run it off a high impedance OTL h/p/a or off a high voltage delivery SS h/p/a. Then, replace the earside foams: IMG_5523.jpeg [fine mesh is used above]
Thanks for that. I am not having a veiled problem with Lotoo Paw Gold Touch, but I am not so sure about other sources. Cheers.

Apr 27, 2024 at 4:36 PM Post #6,501 of 6,550
Fantastic new concert of Norwegian band Jaga Jazzist with KORK (Norwegian Radio Orchestra)!
"One of Norway’s strongest jazz bands turns 30 and celebrates big with KORK in Store studio":
https://tv.nrk.no/serie/kork-jazz/sesong/1/episode/4/avspiller

To make this post look less off-topic, I will point out, that I watched this concert with 660S2 - truly a feast for the ears!
P.S. The fact, that conductor of this great orchestra uses Koss Porta Pro during the performance, makes me question our hobby :).

Apr 28, 2024 at 4:15 AM Post #6,502 of 6,550
The fact, that conductor of this great orchestra uses Koss Porta Pro during the performance, makes me question our hobby
KOSS is another example of a headphone with excellent tonality that you can listen for hours and be truly happy.

you can only miss the technicalities when you are comparing with much more expensive headphones.

Apr 28, 2024 at 2:03 PM Post #6,503 of 6,550
It's a little off topic about the 660S2, but for me the KOSS PortaPros got a second chance for listening outside the home after discovering and trying the Morphit plug-in in the USB Audio Player Pro. After searching for KPP in the list of headphones and setting the target curve, the Studio plays extremely interestingly!

May 2, 2024 at 12:07 PM Post #6,504 of 6,550
To my ears the HD 660 S2 pair really well with the Schiit Lyr 3 amp. Very nice synergy - the midrange is especially captivating to my ears. I was listening to 2023 remix of The Beatles Blue album last night and although I was initially skeptical, I have to say the new mix is very tastefully done - and sounds very natural too.

May 2, 2024 at 12:16 PM Post #6,505 of 6,550
To my ears the HD 660 S2 pair really well with the Schiit Lyr 3 amp. Very nice synergy - the midrange is especially captivating to my ears. I was listening to 2023 remix of The Beatles Blue album last night and although I was initially skeptical, I have to say the new mix is very tastefully done - and sounds very natural too.
Do you find the mix a bit too smooth? I bought the new red album, as it was a must for me. I thought the blue was a little too smoothed out though.

For me, the HD660S2's sing their best on the Valhalla 2.

May 2, 2024 at 5:29 PM Post #6,506 of 6,550
Do you find the mix a bit too smooth? I bought the new red album, as it was a must for me. I thought the blue was a little too smoothed out though.
I liked it. I listened to the red album first, and I didn't notice a big change between the red and blue album - except that the tracks on the red album are older and recording technology was simpler at that time, so maybe that could have something to do with it?

May 2, 2024 at 5:51 PM Post #6,507 of 6,550
I liked it. I listened to the red album first, and I didn't notice a big change between the red and blue album - except that the tracks on the red album are older and recording technology was simpler at that time, so maybe that could have something to do with it?
For me the original Red album was not great, but as you say, a sign of the times. I loved the improvements!
However, I was already pretty happy with the blue album, so I found the remasters a bit too smooth. Of course, tastes differ.

May 2, 2024 at 8:32 PM Post #6,508 of 6,550
I recently got a pair of renewed HD 660S2s for $399 on Amazon and I'm really enjoying them. I'm primarily listening to newer artists including Lorde, boygenius, Julien Baker, Halsey, and then mixed in with some older artists like ABC, Florence + the Machine, R.E.M., Silversun Pickups and so far, for almost all of the tracks I've listened to (several times), the HD 660S2s do not really leave me wanting for more.

Halsey's Ya'aburnee feels like a great example of the headphones to do well in both the mid range and the bass (sub bass?) without struggling. I'm running them off of a fairly lower-end, entry-level FiiO K11 combo DAC/amp as that's all my budget really allowed for at the moment.

I'd love to hear what others are using to power their HD 660S2s and any recommendations you all might have. I won't say that these are "end game", but I do feel like these will last a very long time and are a great value (to me at least).

May 2, 2024 at 11:30 PM Post #6,509 of 6,550
I recently got a pair of renewed HD 660S2s for $399 on Amazon and I'm really enjoying them. I'm primarily listening to newer artists including Lorde, boygenius, Julien Baker, Halsey, and then mixed in with some older artists like ABC, Florence + the Machine, R.E.M., Silversun Pickups and so far, for almost all of the tracks I've listened to (several times), the HD 660S2s do not really leave me wanting for more.

Halsey's Ya'aburnee feels like a great example of the headphones to do well in both the mid range and the bass (sub bass?) without struggling. I'm running them off of a fairly lower-end, entry-level FiiO K11 combo DAC/amp as that's all my budget really allowed for at the moment.

I'd love to hear what others are using to power their HD 660S2s and any recommendations you all might have. I won't say that these are "end game", but I do feel like these will last a very long time and are a great value (to me at least).
my 660s2's really come alive with my Feliks Espressivio (OTL amp). Surprisingly, they sound great with the Schiit Vali 3 as well.

May 2, 2024 at 11:42 PM Post #6,510 of 6,550

They really are a great headphone. Violectric amps are pretty warm and fill them out nicely. I have an old V220 and they are a great combo. Also my iFi plays nicely as does a bit of bass boost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back