Sennheiser HD 660S2 thread
Mar 24, 2024 at 6:55 PM Post #6,361 of 6,501
Sorry, wrong message.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2024 at 2:02 AM Post #6,362 of 6,501
I just ordered these headphones as I got it for $550CAD, brand new with 2 year warranty, on sale for a few days here in Canada. So excited. Been wanting these since release. Just been waiting for a sale. I don't think I'll find a better price on these cans in the summer, so I jumped on them now.

Just a question, what DAC do you guys recommend to get the most out of these cans? Without breaking the bank. I think I was looking at ifis and Fio K7 before.

Prefer battery operated so I can bring it out with me to places and move it around the house.

Thanks

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2024 at 9:22 AM Post #6,363 of 6,501
Well, after a weekend of quite a bit of listening, I have some impressions.

My setup: Violectric V222, RME ADI-2 DAC FS, Schiit Modi MB 2

I'm not a reviewer, and I'm not going to try and use a bunch of words that don't make sense. I also just listen; I don't try to be too critical. I did all of my listening without any EQ. I know the 6XX's benefit from some EQ, but I couldn't find EQ settings for the RME for the 660S2. So I just listened to them straight up.

The 660S2's are a clear upgrade from the HD6XX. So much so that I don't see myself going back to the 6XX's much anymore. The 6XX's feel closed in and while yes, the midrange is great, they always felt a little flat to me (meaning the sound is just a flat wall in front of me) and there are times that the 3-blob effect is noticeable.

The 660S2's, for me, improve on pretty much everything. Wider, and way more open soundstage, a bit more sub bass, and overall just a more pleasant listening experience. I listen to a bit of everything, so I gave them a wide spectrum of music. Mid's to me, still sound great without being so forward (which is funny, because Oratory1990's EQ recesses the mids some on the 6XX). Overall, I didn't find anything not to like.

I also compared them to my Focal Elex (and I've also had time with the Clears). The Focals do what Focals do, they are very open, airy and super detailed. But to me this has always been at the expense of some sharpness and listener fatigue. The 660S2's cannot quite compete with any of that, but where they stand out is just how natural they sound, and how I can listen for hours and not be worn out by the sound.

Suffice it to say, I'm very impressed and happy with the 660S2's and they will become my daily drivers. 6XX's will collect dust...

Mar 25, 2024 at 11:32 AM Post #6,364 of 6,501
I have to admit, I love the HD660S2s and the Meze 109 Pros. I am keeping them both.

20240315_174523.jpg
i am glad to so see some like both
i do too.
but comfort wins with the meze for me so they are my daily drivers, and i really don't have any issues with its sound they sound full bodyed and fun exactly what i want

Mar 25, 2024 at 4:08 PM Post #6,365 of 6,501
i am glad to so see some like both
i do too.
but comfort wins with the meze for me so they are my daily drivers, and i really don't have any issues with its sound they sound full bodyed and fun exactly what i want

I'd love to try the 109 Pros, but they seem fairly polarizing. Some love/some don't love. I need to take another trip to NYC...LOL

Mar 25, 2024 at 8:08 PM Post #6,366 of 6,501
Sorry for another post, but I posted on Reddit to ask Oratory1990 for RME EQ settings for the 660S2 (he had EQ for them, just not for the RME). He replied with a link super fast, and this evening, I added the settings to my RME. Holy crap, it made a HUGE difference. They sound even better now. More accurate (to me) and way better bass. Next level for sure.

Was listening to some Fleetwood Mac, bass drum hits with authority now and actually sounds like a bass drum.

Even more happy with them now.

Mar 26, 2024 at 3:01 AM Post #6,367 of 6,501
Sorry for another post, but I posted on Reddit to ask Oratory1990 for RME EQ settings for the 660S2 (he had EQ for them, just not for the RME). He replied with a link super fast, and this evening, I added the settings to my RME. Holy crap, it made a HUGE difference. They sound even better now. More accurate (to me) and way better bass. Next level for sure.

Was listening to some Fleetwood Mac, bass drum hits with authority now and actually sounds like a bass drum.

Even more happy with them now.
Can you me send the link, please.

Mar 27, 2024 at 9:38 PM Post #6,372 of 6,501
I’m getting tempted, would I be able to drive them OK with a Fiio BTR7?
These have been varying in price a lot on Amazon, ...

I'm glad you're still tempted, but to answer your other question from a few weeks ago. Yes, it does. But boy, battery is draining really fast. 😭 Just charged this thing (to 85%) and already lost 20% in less than 10 minutes. :see_no_evil:

I'm not a loud listener. But, just to give you a perspective, I typically run my FiiO IEMs in the 16-21 volume range on low gain at the 4.4mm jack. With the HD660S2, gain is on high and volume is close to 30 (out of 60). Volume is always maxed out in the phone with LDAC being the BT protocol.

Mar 27, 2024 at 9:45 PM Post #6,373 of 6,501
I'd love to try the 109 Pros, but they seem fairly polarizing. Some love/some don't love. I need to take another trip to NYC...LOL
When I take a break from my ZMFs, I turn to the 109s

Mar 28, 2024 at 5:46 AM Post #6,374 of 6,501
I'm glad you're still tempted, but to answer your other question from a few weeks ago. Yes, it does. But boy, battery is draining really fast. 😭 Just charged this thing (to 85%) and already lost 20% in less than 10 minutes. :see_no_evil:

I'm not a loud listener. But, just to give you a perspective, I typically run my FiiO IEMs in the 16-21 volume range on low gain at the 4.4mm jack. With the HD660S2, gain is on high and volume is close to 30 (out of 60). Volume is always maxed out in the phone with LDAC being the BT protocol.
Thanks very much for the reply. I believe the HD660S2 come with a 4.4mm balanced cable, so I’d be good to go. I know the BTR7 might not be perfect for these headphones, but the idea would be to get a desktop device at some point.

Mar 28, 2024 at 7:13 AM Post #6,375 of 6,501
At £499 these headphones appear expensive (even though I think they are worth all of that) but at £379 (Amazon UK) these are a steal IMO.

I’ve noticed that the ‘early’ versions of these (the March/April 2023 first out of the factory examples) had a degree of variance quality/sound wise but subsequent (slightly tweaked?) models are tonally right on the money. At least that’s what I have noticed (had an early model, then subsequent later model), though perhaps it’s just my ears or getting accustomed to the sound profile.

Anyway, the current price makes these such a bargain and well worth snapping up before Amazon reverts to the usual RRP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back