Sennheiser HD 630VB Review - First Impressions
Dec 21, 2017 at 7:29 PM Post #541 of 737
I've had the chance to do some in-depth listening with these this week.

In short the HD630VB is worthy of being in with HD6-- pedigree. I can't really think of anything that can compete with this in its total offering. Personally, it is kinda my dream headphone, but didn't really realize it until I finally had one.

In summary:

- excellent performance and measurements for the most part. Less distortion throughout the mid-range than even an HD800! Honestly, the performance of this dynamic is approaching planar qualities.
- does have some ringing and dips/peaks within its frequency curve that can hold it back a bit for louder listening. Can be a bit 'shouty'. Easy to EQ out though which changes the sound to work very well for highly dynamic material. This is honestly its only real drawback.
- well extended bass with low distortion that you can easily dial back for jazz/rock/classical masters or boost up for movies, modern recordings, electronica, gaming, and when outdoors.
- high-quality construction, excellent pads. Pretty comfortable despite its tank-like weight and construction.
- I'm wearing mine outdoors, I have a larger build and headsize, so it doesn't look ridiculous. But with the right attire and in our Canadian climate it works well. (I'm also 40 and no longer care haha!)
- tonal range that gets very close to an optimal target response curve. While not perfectly neutral, it works best at moderate listening levels. It can sound fantastic cranked with electronic material, however. Still, you can't crank it like you would HD250, 650. The 630vb signature is engaging and it has depth with its great clarity. Just turn it down and listen.
- the most versatile headphone for high-quality sound. No fiddling with an EQ and an eq doesn't sound the way this resistor implementation does
- more bass than 6xx variants and HD800/S when required. Can't compete with those headphones in strict naturalness, but clarity is up there, and tonal range may actually be preferred for certain material.
- can be easily powered by mobile sources. Handles EQ very well, but should still be powered by low voltage sources because of its VB resistor (unless you want a bass machine).

In comparison to some other cans:

For naturalness, my HD250 supercedes it and so does the LCD2. Though both of these can end up having too much or not enough bass depending on recording and volume. 630vb never has this issue. It's minimum setting has less bass than the LCD2, but even then for some audiophile recordings this might be just a tad too much. For the most part, the 630VB can adjust to play with a wider range of music than any headphone. It is designed to handle this range of bass, and not just with implementation of EQ on a headphone. There aren't too many audiophile bass headphones that are out there that can be just at home with a classical recording as they can with bass-orientated music.

D2000 is also more linear and will present voices more faithfully. Has a more audiophile tilted treble tuning that you don't see as much anymore. 630vb like LCD2 has its uppermost treble shelved though what is there is of high-quality.
HD700 actually sounds odd and bit honky after using the 630vb! HD700 is a unique headphone, but the 630vb really exacerbates what the 700 is missing tonally. I don't fault the HD700 as it has a great presentation once you adjust to it.

If the 630vb has a bit more of a neutral tuning it would be even better. Fixable with EQ (dial it down at around 4k and a boost shelf above 16kHz), but is fine as is, especially at a regular or lower listening level.
Where the 630vb really pulls ahead is in its bass tuning and adjustment, which is great because bass really does get impacted by different music styles, listening volumes, mood and environment.

This headphone is perfect for those with wide range of music listening tastes, and applications. Most importantly, if you don't want the hassle / extra cost of carrying a dedicated dac/amp with you it works very well wherever you go.

Excellent take ( as mine is similar) to these

I listen and am still puzzled by the lack of popularity. It goes to show that the equation Popular = Good is flawed most times and often in this hobby. Some folks wrote this off based on grumblings by folks that they have never met....that never heard these. Boggles the min but hey...whatever.

Another nice write-up :)

Dec 21, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #542 of 737
Some folks wrote this off based on grumblings by folks that they have never met....that never heard these

Those grumblings just made me want to hear them for myself:)

Dec 21, 2017 at 8:22 PM Post #543 of 737
I haven't heard the HD660S but I'm wondering if it's tuned like the HD630VB. I for one would like to see a comparison between these two.

Completely different sound than the HD630VB.

I've owned the HD650 a couple times, and the sound is going to be very similar with the HD660S, though perhaps with a bit more precision. Vocals will be more breathy and realistic than with the 660S, it has a more linear curve and bass to mid-range blends very well. Instruments will be a bit more natural. Sound overall is less splashy and not as incisive. The 650 bass tapers and rolls off quite a bit. It will never reach the quantity, extension and impact of the 630VB. The bass isn't bad though, what is there is fairly detailed and is fine for many recordings. Low distortion across the spectrum. Both headphones have somewhat muted highs but the 660S may be a bit more open. 630Vb has a 'deep' sound even though detailed. HD630VB is just so full.

The 660S would be a great compliment, providing someone wasn't looking for a much brighter sound signature. Another option, LCD2 is one of the few open headphones with great bass range. I would say the LCD2 is closer to the 630VB in terms of tuning, it has a more linear signature, but also will lack that bass punch down low, but may not require it, I find it slams especially as you can turn it up louder than the 630VB without initial fatigue. Audeze has a run of LCD2C that are specially priced for a limited period. The 650 is a classic though, and if you get one cheap is worth checking out.

There is the Massdrop HD-58X Jubilee, which is probably the most inexpensive way to get the HD600 sound and it has a similar 150ohm driver as featured with the 660S - but for only $149 USD !

Solderdude has done some great analysis on all three headphones:
https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brands-s-se/hd630vb/
https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brands-s-se/hd660s/
https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brands-s-se/hd-58x-jubilee-massdrop/

Dec 21, 2017 at 9:50 PM Post #544 of 737
Completely different sound than the HD630VB.

I've owned the HD650 a couple times, and the sound is going to be very similar with the HD660S, though perhaps with a bit more precision. Vocals will be more breathy and realistic than with the 660S, it has a more linear curve and bass to mid-range blends very well. Instruments will be a bit more natural. Sound overall is less splashy and not as incisive. The 650 bass tapers and rolls off quite a bit. It will never reach the quantity, extension and impact of the 630VB. The bass isn't bad though, what is there is fairly detailed and is fine for many recordings. Low distortion across the spectrum. Both headphones have somewhat muted highs but the 660S may be a bit more open. 630Vb has a 'deep' sound even though detailed. HD630VB is just so full.

The 660S would be a great compliment, providing someone wasn't looking for a much brighter sound signature. Another option, LCD2 is one of the few open headphones with great bass range. I would say the LCD2 is closer to the 630VB in terms of tuning, it has a more linear signature, but also will lack that bass punch down low, but may not require it, I find it slams especially as you can turn it up louder than the 630VB without initial fatigue. Audeze has a run of LCD2C that are specially priced for a limited period. The 650 is a classic though, and if you get one cheap is worth checking out.

There is the Massdrop HD-58X Jubilee, which is probably the most inexpensive way to get the HD600 sound and it has a similar 150ohm driver as featured with the 660S - but for only $149 USD !

Solderdude has done some great analysis on all three headphones:
https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brands-s-se/hd630vb/
https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brands-s-se/hd660s/
https://diyaudioheaven.wordpress.com/headphones/measurements/brands-s-se/hd-58x-jubilee-massdrop/
Thanks for the links and write-up. I read his review on the HD630VB before purchasing them and I have never looked back. The HD630VB is a great, versatile headphone. I was considering the LCD-2C's and if I didn't have the DT1990's or the HE560's I would pick them up. I saw the upcoming drop for the HD-58X Jubilee and that price is ridiculous! But I'm more interested in the HD660S's if I were to get another headphone in that category. I had the HD650's but the sound wasn't my cup of tea. I much prefer the sound of the HD630VD's to them.

The only other headphones I'm considering at this point is the Focal Clears or Utopia's. The new Focal Elex seems like it will compete with the HD630VB from a sound standpoint. But it too seems like it will lack the bass punch of the HD630VB's though. To me it's just a testament as to how good the HD630VB's are all things considered.

Dec 22, 2017 at 1:45 AM Post #545 of 737
@Slim1970 yeah you probably don’t need the LCD2C with the sets you have. It has better extended bass than the HE560 but the 560 is awesome, well balanced and more comfortable than the 2C. And of course if you need bass - 630vb.

Heard the 1990 is very good. I’ve still yet to own a Beyer set. I was pretty close to getting a T5P a while back. I think the 630vb is going to be a hard act to follow. Let me know if you ever come across something that trumps it. :)

Dec 23, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #547 of 737
It's been a while since I've heard the DT770, definitely liked them. Good bass, I believe the mid-range was dialed back a bit, which is fine. Would say the 630VB sounds a bit more forward in this sense.

The HD630VB even with its bumps, presents a neutral characteristic. Of course, with HD630VB you can make it have more bass than the Dt770 or less thanks to the variable dial.

Both are great, and the DT770 can sometimes be found for very cheap. The HD630Vb is easy to drive but the DT770 has a lower ohm version with good sensitivity. Read up on it here:
http://nwavguy.blogspot.ca/2011/04/beyerdynamic-dt-770-pro-80-review.html

I listen to both bass oriented music and instrumental like classical. The HD630VB is perfect in this regard. If you were mostly listening to bass orientated music you may be fine with the 80ohm DT770.

Dec 23, 2017 at 10:27 PM Post #549 of 737
@IEMstrong , if you can find the HD630VB for a good price it is exceptional. The great thing is you don’t need a dac or amp above your iPhone/mobile.

I’m listening to the 630vb and they keep getting more and more listening time. It’s one of those headphones that doesn’t just jump out at you initially, but the deeper you listen,it keeps diving with you.

I've been listening to their headphones for decades now, and it’s great watching head-if get excited about 30year-old technology (HD580/600/650/6xx/660S/58x). The masses are right and Sennheiser is capitalizing on it. There are many headphones that are incredible that go back even farther.

There is an art in creating an instrument body - in this case the headphone and its acoustic chamber. This headphone sounds that well engineered and tuned.

It’s pretty top-notch and really in realm of its own. I would put it even at Audeze LCD2 and LCD3 level of quality - it has the same emotional weight but amazing liquid clarity.

Then it allows you to control the bass. Lol.

I know understand why @Hawaiibadboy bombarded us with so many posts after he got these. I get it.

Dec 31, 2017 at 2:41 PM Post #552 of 737
@mbwilson111 would you say that these can be tuned to have a similar sound signature to the Nighthawks with Hybrid Pads? I'm like you, the NHs are one of my top three...

No. Just that I like them both. My NH are the original wood coloed ones that came with the original AQ hybrid pads. I would not change the pads on the 630vb

Jan 29, 2018 at 9:19 AM Post #553 of 737
20180129_231010.jpg
20180129_230956.jpg
20180129_230924.jpg

These are not more popular kinda...

Kinda makes me sad.

LOVE THESE

Feb 4, 2018 at 5:18 PM Post #554 of 737
I feel so torn about these: The response sounds like my dream headphone. Then I read "non-removable cable" and was like "I could never buy a headphone without a replaceable cable... that's always the first thing to die!" Then I was like "I've had my HD650 for like 3 years and not replaced the cable".

Feb 4, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #555 of 737
I feel so torn about these: The response sounds like my dream headphone. Then I read "non-removable cable" and was like "I could never buy a headphone without a replaceable cable... that's always the first thing to die!" Then I was like "I've had my HD650 for like 3 years and not replaced the cable".

First, you would be under warranty... for exactly how long I am not sure. Also, if the cable actually dies or the dog eats it, Sennheiser has given detailed instructions on how to replace it. It is replaceable but you have to be willing to do a little surgery or find someone who can.

Meanwhile, I just intend to enjoy mine as they are and possibly the cable will last "forever". I am not going to stress over it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back