Sennheiser HD 630VB Review - First Impressions
Mar 25, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #571 of 737
Now that I’ve owned the 630vb for a while I love its aesthetic and appreciate its function. I use the controls a fair bit and they are well placed. Yes, the headphone look better steel finish on both cups, but that’s why you take your shots from the side :wink:

This image is from a post I put up on reddit that got a fair bit attention from r/headphones. They tend to be a bit of a group think over there - more so than here - so thought I’d share my experiences and give the 630VB some deserved praise.

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones...b_i_know_many_on_this_sub_dont_have_these_so/

9a4y6mlvwkk01.jpg

May 16, 2018 at 1:16 AM Post #572 of 737
I am seriously considering this headphone for my next closed back. I recently purchased an SRH1540, but I am not totally happy with it sound signature. I am shipping it back tomorrow for a refund. Has anyone taken apart their 630VB to see exactly what drivers it is using ? I am rather curious about this.

Last edited:
May 16, 2018 at 6:30 AM Post #573 of 737
@Brooko has a picture of the drivers https://cdn.head-fi.org/a/8496644.jpg in his review here on Head-Fi and @Hawaiibadboy notes in his review that the drivers look to be about 40 mm - 45 mm.

I am seriously considering this headphone for my next closed back. I recently purchased an SRH1540, but I am not totally happy with it sound signature. I am shipping it back tomorrow for a refund. Has anyone taken apart their 630VB to see exactly what drivers it is using ? I am rather curious about this.

May 16, 2018 at 7:06 AM Post #574 of 737
I have had these for a while now and can say they are my fave Senn headphone ever, and one my top 5 closed headphones I have tried

May 16, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #576 of 737

What did you not like about the 1540? Anything you did like about it?

I remember the 1540 being a bit darker sounding but quite comfortable.

May 21, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #578 of 737
I scored a nearly new HD 630VB on eBay this weekend for < $187 shipped -- I might get it before this weekend, hoping so, since I go out of town next Monday night. :D

Great price. I had to pay too much here but I REALLY wanted them. I think you will be happy. The VB really works well. To my ears it goes from bass light to just a little too much. I have set mine about two thirds of the way and have kept it there. Very comfortable as well for me.

Jun 3, 2018 at 7:13 PM Post #581 of 737
I finally got a pair of HD630VB (actually, two pairs), and I did the following:

DSCN0068.JPG
DSCN0070.JPG
DSCN0073.JPG

For anyone in the USA, I am offering 1 HeadFi member a removable jack conversion 100% FREE (you only pay shipping). Just PM me to arrange (1st person to contact me gets the free jack).

If needed, I can provide examples and references to my modding work (and many of you can vouch for my work).

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2018 at 2:16 AM Post #582 of 737
I finally got a pair of HD630VB (actually, two pairs), and I did the following:

If needed, I can provide examples and references to my modding work (and many of you can vouch for my work).

Love to see how u wired the inside.
Balanced possible?

Would mod so as to use EarStudio ES100 (24bit Portable High-Resolution Bluetooth Receiver/Headphone Amp/DAC with AAC, aptX, aptX HD)

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/radsone-earstudio.867366/page-90

Jun 4, 2018 at 3:33 AM Post #583 of 737
Love to see how u wired the inside.
Balanced possible?

Would mod so as to use EarStudio ES100 (24bit Portable High-Resolution Bluetooth Receiver/Headphone Amp/DAC with AAC, aptX, aptX HD)

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/radsone-earstudio.867366/page-90

Mine is just a SE setup that replaces the stock fixed cable with a removable stereo AUX cable.

It does appear that balanced is quite easy with this headphone, but I would have to do some more testing.

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2018 at 7:18 PM Post #584 of 737
@Slater does the iOS / Android switch, and the controls on the cup, still work after your mod? And of course, I’m assuming the bass dial still works after mod?

I might be interested in that even if you’ve ever done the free one. :)

Jun 4, 2018 at 8:10 PM Post #585 of 737
Bass dial works perfectly fine.

As far as the controls, you can of course use any aux cable that has in-line controls, such as a Beats or similar cable - they all work perfectly fine.

For the cup-mounted control buttons, I am still waiting on a 4-pole (TRRS) aux cable to verify. At a minimum, you’ll have to use an aux cable with a 4-pole (TRRS) plug on both ends (not just the source/phone end like many cables). I have 1 on order, so I will know for sure within 1-2 weeks.

I’ll know about the iOS/Android switch when my cable arrives. Keep in mind though, that the switch is only for the cup-mounted controls. If you use a cable that has its own in-line controls you would just use the appropriate cable for your phone OS. So for example, a cable with iOS-compatible in-line controls (like a Beats cable for instance), will work perfectly for iOS regardless of the switch. And likewise, a cable with Android-compatible in-line controls, will work perfectly for Android regardless of the switch.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back