Sennheiser HD 630VB Review - First Impressions
Jun 5, 2018 at 7:35 PM Post #586 of 737
Mine is just a SE setup that replaces the stock fixed cable with a removable stereo AUX cable.

It does appear that balanced is quite easy with this headphone, but I would have to do some more testing.

Thanks...I will open my unit in the weekend. I remember there was a link to YouTube with replacing the expensive cable. Have no need re the controls just the bass dial.

Jun 5, 2018 at 7:50 PM Post #587 of 737
@trellus how are you enjoying the 630VB so far?

Jun 5, 2018 at 8:20 PM Post #588 of 737
Thanks...I will open my unit in the weekend. I remember there was a link to YouTube with replacing the expensive cable. Have no need re the controls just the bass dial.

The video from Sennheiser simply shows how to replace the stock cable (remove pad, 4 screws, unplug old cable, plug new cable in, reassemble).

The video doesn’t show how to convert the fixed cable to a removable jack, or convert it to a balanced setup.

However, if you just want to open it to take a peek around the insides, then yes the video will show you that. The cup comes apart quite easily.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2018 at 9:26 PM Post #589 of 737
@trellus how are you enjoying the 630VB so far?

I’ve been traveling almost continuously since I got it and while it is the only serious headphone I brought with me, I’ve not had a lot of time to really appreciate it, but I definitely like it so far - briefly compared it to the HD 250 Linear II before I left town and noticed some differences but now my memory fails me in describing them, honestly. :)

Jul 20, 2018 at 11:08 PM Post #590 of 737
How does it compare to bass monsters like the TH900 or JVC SZ2000 ?

Nov 5, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #591 of 737
so these are selling for $299 now on amazon. 40% off.

what are they actually worth?

Nov 5, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #592 of 737

I buy gently used ones. I see them on eBay all the time. I just got another set 2 weeks ago.

Nov 5, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #593 of 737
I buy gently used ones. I see them on eBay all the time. I just got another set 2 weeks ago.
i was just reading your post about the mod. thats very nice of you.

i just bought headphones (last time i actually bought headphones was hd500s back in 2005), but anyways i was considering these. the sale wasnt on when i was interested, and the wired chord was the deal breaker.

what are these actually worth though? i guess more than the $299 theyre now selling for. what have you paid on ebay for these recently?

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2018 at 2:57 PM Post #594 of 737

A year ago the best I could do was £349. That is about $455. At the moment I cannot even find it for that in the UK.

Nov 5, 2018 at 3:03 PM Post #595 of 737

i just bought headphones (last time i actually bought headphones was hd500s back in 2005), but anyways i was considering these. the sale wasnt on when i was interested, and the wired chord was the deal breaker.

what are these actually worth though? i guess more than the $299 theyre now selling for. what have you paid on ebay for these recently?
I have a pair that are like new....170.00 which includes paypal and shipping. If interested PM me. They are just sitting in the box in the closet.

Bern

Nov 5, 2018 at 3:18 PM Post #596 of 737

For the quality build, excellent sound, versatility, and uniqueness yes they are totally worth $299.

As far as what I bought mine for, all of the ones I have bought have had damaged or missing cords but were otherwise in great shape.

2 of them I bought 6 months ago had chopped off cords, but were in “A” condition ignoring the cable. The shells, drivers, pads, headband, sound etc were are mint.

My most recent pair (bought 2 weeks ago) had a chopped off cord AND missing pads. It also had a few nicks (ie overall “B” condition ignoring the pads and cable). The seller accepted my offer of $65 shipped.

Since the HD630VB are built like army tanks, I have had nothing but good luck buying the used ones. But then again, I have the skills and determination to do any repairs necessary to get them operational.

Buying new from a dealer or Amazon gets you a brand new product with full warranty (none of which I have). If anything is going to go bad at some point, it will be the cable. It is replaceable, but you have to use the proprietary Sennheiser cable. The other option is to do a 3.5mm removable jack (which is what I did on mine).

If I did not have the skills, tools, etc to deal with the used/damaged ones, I would jump on the $299 Amazon pair.

If you don’t like them you can send them back, or easily resell them for what you have in them.

These cans are truly underrated, and completely worthy of the Sennheiser HD family designation.

I wish @Hawaiibadboy would do his YouTube review of them (he mentioned he would, but that was a long time ago). In suspect once he does, they will blow up and the prices will go through the roof via supply and demand. He has a loyal following, and stuff he recommends has a habit of blowing up. That’s just a prediction though.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2018 at 3:26 PM Post #597 of 737
For the quality build, excellent sound, versatility, and uniqueness yes they are totally worth $299.

As far as what I bought mine for, all of the ones I have bought have had damaged or missing cords but were otherwise in great shape.

2 of them I bought 6 months ago had chopped off cords, but were in “A” condition ignoring the cable. The shells, drivers, pads, headband, sound etc were are mint.

My most recent pair (bought 2 weeks ago) had a chopped off cord AND missing pads. It also had a few nicks (ie overall “B” condition ignoring the pads and cable). The seller accepted my offer of $65 shipped.

Since the HD630VB are built like army tanks, I have had nothing but good luck buying the used ones. But then again, I have the skills and determination to do any repairs necessary to get them operational.

Buying new from a dealer or Amazon gets you a brand new product with full warranty (none of which I have). If anything is going to go bad at some point, it will be the cable. It is replaceable, but you have to use the proprietary Sennheiser cable. The other option is to do a 3.5mm removable jack (which is what I did on mine).

If I did not have the skills, tools, etc to deal with the used/damaged ones, I would jump on the $299 Amazon pair.

If you don’t like them you can send them back, or easily resell them for what you have in them.

These cans are truly underrated, and completely worthy of the Sennheiser HD family designation.

I wish @Hawaiibadboy would do his YouTube review of them (he mentioned he would, but that was a long time ago). In suspect once he does, they will blow up and the prices will go through the roof via supply and demand. He has a loyal following, and stuff he recommends has a habit of blowing up. That’s just a prediction though.
hahah $65. youre lucky youre so talented.

i just bought ws1100is beginning of this year for $129. i use it maybe 3x a week for 3 hours at a time. so id have to sell it before i can convince myself to buy another headphone. if either of my headphones breaks, ill probably get the hd 630.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2018 at 3:38 PM Post #598 of 737

They truly are underrated! They definitely deserve the HD 6__ family designation.

Nov 5, 2018 at 6:27 PM Post #599 of 737
hahah $65. youre lucky youre so talented.

i just bought ws1100is beginning of this year for $129. i use it maybe 3x a week for 3 hours at a time. so id have to sell it before i can convince myself to buy another headphone. if either of my headphones breaks, ill probably get the hd 630.

There’s a lot of awesome deals to be had if you are willing to do a few repairs.

I’ve occasionally had (the owners of) electronics chain stores give me free headphones NIB before (open box customer returns with snapped hinges, a destroyed cable, blown drivers, etc). Sometimes they can be repaired, and other times they just have to be salvaged for parts

Ebay is a great place to find stuff. I once bought a pair of NIB Philips A5 Pro on eBay for $35. They are awesome headphones, and were $300 new.

They were listed as defective with no sound at all. I assumed the drivers were blown or possibly the internal wiring was damaged or disconnected. I was just going to use them as a donor shell and just swap in some new drivers.

However, when they arrived they worked 100% perfectly. Apparently no one understood how to use the odd 3.5mm locking cable. If you didn’t know how to operate the locking cable, you would be fooled into thinking it was bad. The 3.5mm cable would insert into the cup, but it wouldn’t make full contact (and thus no sound).

They worked perfectly with the cable properly locked in. I contacted the seller to see if he wanted them back, and he said to just keep them. I still use them to this day.

Anyways, it just goes to show you that there are deals to be had. You just gotta sometimes take a leap of faith and expect the worst. Sometimes things don’t work out in your favor, but other times it totally does!

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2018 at 5:15 PM Post #600 of 737
HD630VB is such an unappreciated gem. Been listening to HD600, HD540 and HD800 this afternoon.The HD600 has a very natural timbre but is a slightly dark sounding, almost a bit muffled a slightly undefined. The HD800 is almost too defined. It's an incredible accomplishment, it is as if they took the diffuse-field, expanded the width and kept everything sounding dynamic yet present. Nothing quite sounds like the 800, but it isn't as natural sounding. With the HD540 - this is old school reference. It is actually brighter in timbre than the 600, and both could use a bit more bass extension - a hard thing to achieve with dynamics, especially from this time. The HD540 has an amazing mid and treble range and can sound excellent with a wide range of music.

So after all that.. I put the 630VB on. And it just hits you. Clarity. This is an incredibly clear headphone. Tonally, I would say it is just a bit on the brighter side of natural. It actually seems to strike a balance that none of the above headphones manage to. It has excellent bass and treble extension. It isn't harsh nor strident, yet verges on analytical. The 630VB does very well with classical, jazz and acoustic music. For electronic music, it not as 'juicy' sounding as some other closed backs. Still, the bass boost gives it flexibility to listen to modern genres, but it excels with most dynamic music.

It really is one of Sennheiser's better balanced headphones.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back