Sennheiser HD 630VB Review - First Impressions
Nov 28, 2017 at 1:42 PM Post #526 of 737
I thought that I would be ready to at least give some impressions on comfort tonight but the courier (DPD) has let me dowm. Something about a delay in transit. Feeling a bit disappointed right now. Supposedly will come tomorrow.

Well "tomorrow " is here. DPD tells me that my driver is doing delivery number 65 and I am number 129...about two and a half hours away. I get to track his location on the map. It would not take me very long to walk to where he is right now...but by then he would have moved on. I need his route info so I can intercept him! lol

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #527 of 737
Can anyone compare this to the Philips A5 Pro?

Other than the bass adjustment wheel
on the Sennheiser, the 2 seem quite similar (in design, weight, construction quality, and sound).

I like the A5 Pro, but not really looking for a side/down grade. I'm hoping there's a compelling reason to upgrade.

Thanks so much!

Dec 3, 2017 at 4:15 AM Post #528 of 737
Well, finally have a pair on the way. Excited to compare them to the rest of my sets incl the D2000, mdr7520, and especially the Sennheiser HD250 Linear.

Pretty excited, have wanted a pair since they were announced.

Dec 3, 2017 at 4:24 AM Post #529 of 737
Well, finally have a pair on the way. Excited to compare them to the rest of my sets incl the D2000, mdr7520, and especially the Sennheiser HD250 Linear.

Pretty excited, have wanted a pair since they were announced.

End of the day sofa cans. Love em. Cannot fathom why they got sidestepped besides Senn loyalists not liking the HD series touched or near the word bass?
They sound typical Senn with the dial down. with the dial around 60% the Doobie Brothers sound pretty damn awesome!

Congrats on getting em!

Dec 3, 2017 at 7:13 PM Post #530 of 737
End of the day sofa cans. Love em. Cannot fathom why they got sidestepped besides Senn loyalists not liking the HD series touched or near the word bass?
They sound typical Senn with the dial down. with the dial around 60% the Doobie Brothers sound pretty damn awesome!

Congrats on getting em!

I am loving these as well. I have been leaving the bass dial just slightly above the midpoint for now. Very happy with the sound and I am finding them to be comfortable. The pads are really nice. I can deal with the cable... at least it is not coiled.

Dec 4, 2017 at 10:56 PM Post #531 of 737
10037838.jpg

Dec 5, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #532 of 737
@Hawaiibadboy That is a gorgeous photo. So... what is that amp with the pretty green lights? A Christmas decoration? :) I think I probably do not want to know what it costs. I tried to google,,,

Dec 5, 2017 at 2:58 PM Post #533 of 737
Resolution, clarity....

Bass even cranked (+5dB) is not as much as the Meze neo without EQ. No idea why this set didn't get more love?

Puzzled again..

I am struck by the clarity and the lack of any signs of what some might have thought an over doing it with the bass. it is subtle, well placed and not enough to interfere with the mids....as you would expect from this company.

Yet another example of lack of popularity not equating to lack of performance.

After seeing these posts I just had to get out my Neo and compare a little... the Neo has enough bass to give me a headache with some music. This will not happen with the HD630vb.

I think I have finally managed to read all the earlier posts. People certainly had preconceived ideas that have turned out to be totally wrong. A person could dial these down to a level that I would find bass-light. I am liking it around two thirds of the way on the dial right now. I do not feel a need to play with it for each song but then I am an album listener. I tend to get lost in the music so I am just going to keep it at a level that I l like.

Even though the Neo is much lighter than this Sennheiser, I am finding the Senn just as comfy for some reason. The weight seems to be distributed in a way that keep is from hurting my neck.

I never know what I believe about burn-in but I have been burning it in for 5 days now with short breaks. Today I have been walking around the house with it plugged into my Cayin N3 with my new Topping NX1s... probably does not need the amp but its a new toy:)

Dec 5, 2017 at 7:46 PM Post #534 of 737
After seeing these posts I just had to get out my Neo and compare a little... the Neo has enough bass to give me a headache with some music. This will not happen with the HD630vb.

I think I have finally managed to read all the earlier posts. People certainly had preconceived ideas that have turned out to be totally wrong. A person could dial these down to a level that I would find bass-light. I am liking it around two thirds of the way on the dial right now. I do not feel a need to play with it for each song but then I am an album listener. I tend to get lost in the music so I am just going to keep it at a level that I l like.

Even though the Neo is much lighter than this Sennheiser, I am finding the Senn just as comfy for some reason. The weight seems to be distributed in a way that keep is from hurting my neck.

I never know what I believe about burn-in but I have been burning it in for 5 days now with short breaks. Today I have been walking around the house with it plugged into my Cayin N3 with my new Topping NX1s... probably does not need the amp but its a new toy:)

Gotta be it...
I thing they are bass light stock as well but the dial at roughly 3/4 is perfect position and elevation of the boost. Really nice set. A cable mod can be done by @PETEREK for these so that is a consideration for comfort.

Dec 18, 2017 at 6:56 PM Post #535 of 737
Well they've arrived. I bought them in what I can only imagine was as an estate sale for a price too low to admit. They were also priced low because apparently the variable-bass dial didn't work but the seller admitted to not knowing anything about them. I think they didn't have the iOS / Android selector in the right position as it works fine. (or they didn't notice its effect! )

I took a gamble, but speculated that given how the VB is implemented, I probably wouldn't be getting a signal at all if they circuitry were damaged.

It took a few songs of adjustment, and I found that getting the right notch on the headband significantly helped the seal and comfort. My large ears just fit into the cups. Pretty comfy, even with glasses. The pads are premium material.

My first impressions actually echo @jude 's initial thread post of this headphone. I think he spoke very accurately about the relative strengths and areas that might be of a concern.

I'm going to do a comprehensive review of these eventually against the rest of my cans. They are definitely more exciting than my HD250s. The HD250 has an incredible natural tuning, whereas the 630vb is more stylized. The tuning of the 630vb seems to capture a bit of the diffuse-field (DF) curve but has a few peaks that bring a bit more perception of soundstage. It is a mix of audiophile tuning and consumer. It can make some tones a bit too hot, but time will tell. I would say the HD250 is more correct, still spacious and even less fatiguing.

The VB dial is actually brilliant. I mean, its kind crazy that this wasn't embraced and it sounds different than EQ (not that there is anything wrong with EQ). The VB dial is very handy if you listen to a range of music / media. This headphone is so versatile. It has enough brilliance and top-end to play with audiophile masters, but can handle modern music production with aplomb.

It's been said here already , and I understand now that the VB dial is tasteful. For the bassheads, dial on max is a just a little distorted and still not enough. On the lowest setting, it definitely below neutral. This is nowhere near a 'Beats' headphone that some here had mistakingly labelled it.

I did a quick test and the power handling of these headphones is very good, meaning they respond well to EQ. I got these to vibrate my entire head using a compensated EQ boost and my Objective 2 as an amp. Not sure how they would pass @Hawaiibadboy paper test but I can say as an audiophile basshead they will please. The HD250's low-end will not respond the way this modern driver does. I don't think they reach as low as the LCD2, but their mild bass bump along with the dial give the bass just the right warmth. Certainly, putting on a well mastered bass track like BT - Artifacture IV gives you the kick you want. It also shows you that these ARE analytical headphones. This isn't a BestBuy Sennheiser. :) No really, a Momentum isn't going to do what these do. The marketing for these headphones made them look like they were for DJs but they were for people like me (and maybe you?!) who listen to well-recorded FLAC classical, instrumental, electronic but also a range of other material.

I think they may edge out my D2000 in clarity but would be very close. The D2000 actually is more linear and brighter (but not fatally). Biocellulose bass has a different quality too. They have more presence than the D2000 and I feel are more spacious.

Ergonomically, enjoying the shorter cable. Good to know there is a way to replace it, but given on how it is implemented, it is still proprietary. I think had they made it terminate it a conventional 1/8in port this headphone would have sold better. Knowing how many times I've accidentally snagged my aftermarket cable on my MDR7520 only to have it safely popout, I'm a bit worried about the 630vb.

Right now enjoying these. For a closed can they do surprisingly well with classical and acoustic. Honestly, I think they do better with classical than they do with electronic and frankly, that is a good sign as I listen to many dynamic recordings. Listening to Rimsky-Korsakov - Scheherazade there is an upper brilliance that is required, but perhaps it is missing just a tad more high-end detail. HD700 takes a bit of a similar tuning, shelving some of the highest treble but still giving you enough presence. It comes across as a bit muted in comparison to something like the HD800. Not as bright as the Denon AH-D2000 (which also does well with classical recordings). What is there is very clear.

I know in the HD660S thread and Tyll's respective review there has been some criticism towards the new Sennheiser era of sound. i can respect that sentiment. The Amperior was too hyped yet very dynamic in comparison to the natural HD25. The HD250 is a closed headphone that is still more natural. It seems that Sennheiser didn't go as far as the Amperior with this model, but it is still divergent from the classical Senn sound (HD540, 250, 580, 600, 650).

End of the day sofa cans.

I think that sums it up. They truly are 'sofa cans'. They straddle a fine line of excitement and natural tonality. They are an unusual mix of features, performance and tuning that I think is going to make them keepers. I'm really starting to sink into them, and they do a little bit of what the rest of my closed cans do without giving up much turf.

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #536 of 737
Well they've arrived. I bought them in what I can only imagine was as an estate sale for a price too low to admit. They were also priced low because apparently the variable-bass dial didn't work but the seller admitted to not knowing anything about them. I think they didn't have the iOS / Android selector in the right position as it works fine. (or they didn't notice its effect! )

I took a gamble, but speculated that given how the VB is implemented, I probably wouldn't be getting a signal at all if they circuitry were damaged.

It took a few songs of adjustment, and I found that getting the right notch on the headband significantly helped the seal and comfort. My large ears just fit into the cups. Pretty comfy, even with glasses. The pads are premium material.

My first impressions actually echo @jude 's initial thread post of this headphone. I think he spoke very accurately about the relative strengths and areas that might be of a concern.

I'm going to do a comprehensive review of these eventually against the rest of my cans. They are definitely more exciting than my HD250s. The HD250 has an incredible natural tuning, whereas the 630vb is more stylized. The tuning of the 630vb seems to capture a bit of the diffuse-field (DF) curve but has a few peaks that bring a bit more perception of soundstage. It is a mix of audiophile tuning and consumer. It can make some tones a bit too hot, but time will tell. I would say the HD250 is more correct, still spacious and even less fatiguing.

The VB dial is actually brilliant. I mean, its kind crazy that this wasn't embraced and it sounds different than EQ (not that there is anything wrong with EQ). The VB dial is very handy if you listen to a range of music / media. This headphone is so versatile. It has enough brilliance and top-end to play with audiophile masters, but can handle modern music production with aplomb.

It's been said here already , and I understand now that the VB dial is tasteful. For the bassheads, dial on max is a just a little distorted and still not enough. On the lowest setting, it definitely below neutral. This is nowhere near a 'Beats' headphone that some here had mistakingly labelled it.

I did a quick test and the power handling of these headphones is very good, meaning they respond well to EQ. I got these to vibrate my entire head using a compensated EQ boost and my Objective 2 as an amp. Not sure how they would pass @Hawaiibadboy paper test but I can say as an audiophile basshead they will please. The HD250's low-end will not respond the way this modern driver does. I don't think they reach as low as the LCD2, but their mild bass bump along with the dial give the bass just the right warmth. Certainly, putting on a well mastered bass track like BT - Artifacture IV gives you the kick you want. It also shows you that these ARE analytical headphones. This isn't a BestBuy Sennheiser. :) No really, a Momentum isn't going to do what these do. The marketing for these headphones made them look like they were for DJs but they were for people like me (and maybe you?!) who listen to well-recorded FLAC classical, instrumental, electronic but also a range of other material.

I think they may edge out my D2000 in clarity but would be very close. The D2000 actually is more linear and brighter (but not fatally). Biocellulose bass has a different quality too. They have more presence than the D2000 and I feel are more spacious.

Ergonomically, enjoying the shorter cable. Good to know there is a way to replace it, but given on how it is implemented, it is still proprietary. I think had they made it terminate it a conventional 1/8in port this headphone would have sold better. Knowing how many times I've accidentally snagged my aftermarket cable on my MDR7520 only to have it safely popout, I'm a bit worried about the 630vb.

Right now enjoying these. For a closed can they do surprisingly well with classical and acoustic. Honestly, I think they do better with classical than they do with electronic and frankly, that is a good sign as I listen to many dynamic recordings. Listening to Rimsky-Korsakov - Scheherazade there is an upper brilliance that is required, but perhaps it is missing just a tad more high-end detail. HD700 takes a bit of a similar tuning, shelving some of the highest treble but still giving you enough presence. It comes across as a bit muted in comparison to something like the HD800. Not as bright as the Denon AH-D2000 (which also does well with classical recordings). What is there is very clear.

I know in the HD660S thread and Tyll's respective review there has been some criticism towards the new Sennheiser era of sound. i can respect that sentiment. The Amperior was too hyped yet very dynamic in comparison to the natural HD25. The HD250 is a closed headphone that is still more natural. It seems that Sennheiser didn't go as far as the Amperior with this model, but it is still divergent from the classical Senn sound (HD540, 250, 580, 600, 650).

I think that sums it up. They are still are 'sofa cans'. They straddle a fine line of excitement and natural tonality. They are an unusual mix of features, performance and tuning that I think is going to make them keepers. I'm really starting to sink into them, and they do a little bit of what the rest of my closed cans do without giving up much turf.

So did your VB dial end up working fine?

Dec 18, 2017 at 7:28 PM Post #537 of 737
So did your VB dial end up working fine?

Yes! All the controls work. Whew. Overall condition of the headphones is very good. A couple nicks here and there. Doesn’t look like they saw much use.

Dec 21, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #538 of 737
I've had the chance to do some in-depth listening with these this week.

In short the HD630VB is worthy of being in with HD6-- pedigree. I can't really think of anything that can compete with this in its total offering. Personally, it is kinda my dream headphone, but didn't really realize it until I finally had one.

In summary:

- excellent performance and measurements for the most part. Less distortion throughout the mid-range than even an HD800! Honestly, the performance of this dynamic is approaching planar qualities.
- does have some ringing and dips/peaks within its frequency curve that can hold it back a bit for louder listening. Can be a bit 'shouty'. Easy to EQ out though which changes the sound to work very well for highly dynamic material. This is honestly its only real drawback.
- well extended bass with low distortion that you can easily dial back for jazz/rock/classical masters or boost up for movies, modern recordings, electronica, gaming, and when outdoors.
- high-quality construction, excellent pads. Pretty comfortable despite its tank-like weight and construction.
- I'm wearing mine outdoors, I have a larger build and headsize, so it doesn't look ridiculous. But with the right attire and in our Canadian climate it works well. (I'm also 40 and no longer care haha!)
- tonal range that gets very close to an optimal target response curve. While not perfectly neutral, it works best at moderate listening levels. It can sound fantastic cranked with electronic material, however. Still, you can't crank it like you would HD250, 650. The 630vb signature is engaging and it has depth with its great clarity. Just turn it down and listen.
- the most versatile headphone for high-quality sound. No fiddling with an EQ and an eq doesn't sound the way this resistor implementation does
- more bass than 6xx variants and HD800/S when required. Can't compete with those headphones in strict naturalness, but clarity is up there, and tonal range may actually be preferred for certain material.
- can be easily powered by mobile sources. Handles EQ very well, but should still be powered by low voltage sources because of its VB resistor (unless you want a bass machine).

In comparison to some other cans:

For naturalness, my HD250 supercedes it and so does the LCD2. Though both of these can end up having too much or not enough bass depending on recording and volume. 630vb never has this issue. It's minimum setting has less bass than the LCD2, but even then for some audiophile recordings this might be just a tad too much. For the most part, the 630VB can adjust to play with a wider range of music than any headphone. It is designed to handle this range of bass, and not just with implementation of EQ on a headphone. There aren't too many audiophile bass headphones that are out there that can be just at home with a classical recording as they can with bass-orientated music.

D2000 is also more linear and will present voices more faithfully. Has a more audiophile tilted treble tuning that you don't see as much anymore. 630vb like LCD2 has its uppermost treble shelved though what is there is of high-quality.
HD700 actually sounds odd and bit honky after using the 630vb! HD700 is a unique headphone, but the 630vb really exacerbates what the 700 is missing tonally. I don't fault the HD700 as it has a great presentation once you adjust to it.

If the 630vb has a bit more of a neutral tuning it would be even better. Fixable with EQ (dial it down at around 4k and a boost shelf above 16kHz), but is fine as is, especially at a regular or lower listening level.
Where the 630vb really pulls ahead is in its bass tuning and adjustment, which is great because bass really does get impacted by different music styles, listening volumes, mood and environment.

This headphone is perfect for those with wide range of music listening tastes, and applications. Most importantly, if you don't want the hassle / extra cost of carrying a dedicated dac/amp with you it works very well wherever you go.

Dec 21, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #539 of 737
I've had the chance to do some in-depth listening with these this week.

In short the HD630VB is worthy of being in with HD6-- pedigree. I can't really think of anything that can compete with this in its total offering. Personally, it is kinda my dream headphone, but didn't really realize it until I finally had one.

In summary:

- excellent performance and measurements for the most part. Less distortion throughout the mid-range than even an HD800! Honestly, the performance of this dynamic is approaching planar qualities.
- does have some ringing and dips/peaks within its frequency curve that can hold it back a bit for louder listening. Can be a bit 'shouty'. Easy to EQ out though which changes the sound to work very well for highly dynamic material. This is honestly its only real drawback.
- well extended bass with low distortion that you can easily dial back for jazz/rock/classical masters or boost up for movies, modern recordings, electronica, gaming, and when outdoors.
- high-quality construction, excellent pads. Pretty comfortable despite its tank-like weight and construction.
- I'm wearing mine outdoors, I have a larger build and headsize, so it doesn't look ridiculous. But with the right attire and in our Canadian climate it works well. (I'm also 40 and no longer care haha!)
- tonal range that gets very close to an optimal target response curve. While not perfectly neutral, it works best at moderate listening levels. It can sound fantastic cranked with electronic material, however. Still, you can't crank it like you would HD250, 650. The 630vb signature is engaging and it has depth with its great clarity. Just turn it down and listen.
- the most versatile headphone for high-quality sound. No fiddling with an EQ and an eq doesn't sound the way this resistor implementation does
- more bass than 6xx variants and HD800/S when required. Can't compete with those headphones in strict naturalness, but clarity is up there, and tonal range may actually be preferred for certain material.
- can be easily powered by mobile sources. Handles EQ very well, but should still be powered by low voltage sources because of its VB resistor (unless you want a bass machine).

In comparison to some other cans:

For naturalness, my HD250 supercedes it and so does the LCD2. Though both of these can end up having too much or not enough bass depending on recording and volume. 630vb never has this issue. It's minimum setting has less bass than the LCD2, but even then for some audiophile recordings this might be just a tad too much. For the most part, the 630VB can adjust to play with a wider range of music than any headphone. It is designed to handle this range of bass, and not just with implementation of EQ on a headphone. There aren't too many audiophile bass headphones that are out there that can be just at home with a classical recording as they can with bass-orientated music.

D2000 is also more linear and will present voices more faithfully. Has a more audiophile tilted treble tuning that you don't see as much anymore. 630vb like LCD2 has its uppermost treble shelved though what is there is of high-quality.
HD700 actually sounds odd and bit honky after using the 630vb! HD700 is a unique headphone, but the 630vb really exacerbates what the 700 is missing tonally. I don't fault the HD700 as it has a great presentation once you adjust to it.

If the 630vb has a bit more of a neutral tuning it would be even better. Fixable with EQ (dial it down at around 4k and a boost shelf above 16kHz), but is fine as is, especially at a regular or lower listening level.
Where the 630vb really pulls ahead is in its bass tuning and adjustment, which is great because bass really does get impacted by different music styles, listening volumes, mood and environment.

This headphone is perfect for those with wide range of music listening tastes, and applications. Most importantly, if you don't want the hassle / extra cost of carrying a dedicated dac/amp with you it works very well wherever you go.
Agree with everything you've said about the HD630VB. It's easy to drive and it plays nicely with a wide variety of amp and daps. No one frequency seems exaggerated to my ears but the variable bass dial is an added bonus. I haven't heard the HD660S but I'm wondering if it's tuned like the HD630VB. I for one would like to see a comparison between these two.

Dec 21, 2017 at 7:22 PM Post #540 of 737
Personally, it is kinda my dream headphone, but didn't really realize it until I finally had one.

This has joined my Nighthawk and my Amiron as one of my favorites . As more time passes it may end up on top. Very versatile as you said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back