Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Sep 19, 2012 at 8:30 PM Post #1,831 of 23,425
...the age of the linoleums, time flies....sweeps.
ksc75smile.gif

Sep 19, 2012 at 8:32 PM Post #1,832 of 23,425
Just buy a hd580 and put your 600 grills on them :wink:

Sep 20, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #1,833 of 23,425
so ive had quite a bit of time with mah hd600s with e9/e7 combo after selling Q701s... and Ive came up with a great analogy.  HD600s are like the M16 in BF3, theyre good at everything and amazing at nothing.  Where as the Q701s made perfectly mastered music in specific genres sound amazing and so much better than the same file sounds on the HD600.  I've also just realized that ill never be 100% happy with any headphone.  sad times

Sep 20, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #1,834 of 23,425
Did you also realize most of the times your happiness with a pair of headphone is inversely proportional to your wallet's weight?

Sep 20, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #1,835 of 23,425
Quote:
so ive had quite a bit of time with mah hd600s with e9/e7 combo after selling Q701s... and Ive came up with a great analogy.  HD600s are like the M16 in BF3, theyre good at everything and amazing at nothing.  Where as the Q701s made perfectly mastered music in specific genres sound amazing and so much better than the same file sounds on the HD600.  I've also just realized that ill never be 100% happy with any headphone.  sad times

The key is to not sell off your first set when you go to get another. I know this can be hard, if not impossible, for the more cash-strapped head-fi'ers but for most people, if you choose carefully, you can find 2 or 3 cans that together can make you close to 100% happy with the genres you listen to. :wink:

I like your M16 analogy but I disagree with it somewhat. I find that the HD600 are close to perfect for a lot of my music while falling far short of that in others, namely bass-heavy genres like electronic.

Sep 20, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #1,836 of 23,425
Has anyone compared the FX700 with the Sennheiser HD600?  I ask because I have need for an iem that does not attenuate outside noise like a normal closed iem.  The FX700 is perfect for that but is quite expensive.  I might get off the fence if the FX700 were at least as good if not better than my HD600s.  I like my sennheisers a lot but they have never been truly satisfying for me.  The mid range is to my ear cluttered.  I'd like to upgrade them within 6 months and would be willing to drop up to, but preferrably not, $1000.  I've only started to dig around in that price range so I haven't yet come up with a plan.  But, if the FX700 have a cleaner midrange and slightly better tonal color, I'd probably be quite happy.  I'd love to kill two birds with one $320 stone. 

Here is what I like in sound reproduciton in order:
-Tonal "color" - I want the rich fleshy tone of a cello or the cool etheral tone of a flute to really be unmistakeable.
-Dynamics:
-Voice seperation
-Soundstage
-detail

Along with all the other audiophool  mumbojumbo dejour of course ;-} 

Thanks for your thoughts!

Sep 20, 2012 at 12:39 PM Post #1,837 of 23,425
Quote:

The key is to not sell off your first set when you go to get another. I know this can be hard, if not impossible, for the more cash-strapped head-fi'ers but for most people, if you choose carefully, you can find 2 or 3 cans that together can make you close to 100% happy with the genres you listen to. :wink:

I like your M16 analogy but I disagree with it somewhat. I find that the HD600 are close to perfect for a lot of my music while falling far short of that in others, namely bass-heavy genres like electronic.

I actually think the exact opposite. On good recordings with solid bass impact, the HD 600's reproduce low freqs very well. It's on recordings lacking in punch (most of my 80's rock/pop CD's) where the HD 600's sound too lightweight at the bottom end. This is why I like headphones with a little bass emphasis and ultimately sold my HD 600's.

Sep 20, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #1,838 of 23,425
Quote:
I actually think the exact opposite. On good recordings with solid bass impact, the HD 600's reproduce low freqs very well. It's on recordings lacking in punch (most of my 80's rock/pop CD's) where the HD 600's sound too lightweight at the bottom end. This is why I like headphones with a little bass emphasis and ultimately sold my HD 600's.

I do like the bass of the HD600 and find it to be of very high quality, even more so with my new Lake People G109 which has plenty of power to bring out the full potential of its low end. The bass is adequate for most of the genres I listen to but with the electronic music I occasionally listen to I find it lacking in sub-bass. Then again, my 770s are the only headphones I've listened to so far that don't roll off in the sub bass to where the wow factor of electronic music falls short of my expectations.

Sep 20, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #1,839 of 23,425
Since this is the HD600 appreciation thread I guess I'll throw in a few more thoughts I've had rolling through my brainz lately. This is what I appreciate about the HD600: it gets better and more impressive the more I listen to it. Every other headphone I have is the opposite. The more I use them the more I notice their weak points. My 770s are awesome but the more I use them the more I notice their recessed mids and cup distortion at high volumes. The same goes with every other headphone in my current arsenal, but not the HD600. They just keep getting better! They're truly impressive in my opinion, not only as a sound reproduction device but just as a brilliantly engineered product in general.

Sep 20, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #1,840 of 23,425
Quote:
Im trying to think of a different color that makes it unique, but in a way I prefer.

How about a black carbon fiber finish, similar to the HD580 Jubilee?

Sep 20, 2012 at 7:30 PM Post #1,842 of 23,425
Hi guys

Does anyone know if the O2 is a good amp for the hd600, or do they not pair well together? I'll be taking the HD600 to places and to trips to use in the hotel or something like that, and the o2 has a very minimalist design which is good for transportation. Is the asgard a lot better than the O2 with the HD600? It's a lot bigger, but if it's a lot better then I'm willing ro sacrifice size for sound quality.

Sep 20, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #1,843 of 23,425
Hi guys

Does anyone know if the O2 is a good amp for the hd600, or do they not pair well together? I'll be taking the HD600 to places and to trips to use in the hotel or something like that, and the o2 has a very minimalist design which is good for transportation. Is the asgard a lot better than the O2 with the HD600? It's a lot bigger, but if it's a lot better then I'm willing ro sacrifice size for sound quality.

They're both known to work very well with the HD600. If you want portability go with the O2.

Sep 20, 2012 at 8:55 PM Post #1,844 of 23,425
Quote:
Has anyone compared the FX700 with the Sennheiser HD600?  I ask because I have need for an iem that does not attenuate outside noise like a normal closed iem.  The FX700 is perfect for that but is quite expensive.  I might get off the fence if the FX700 were at least as good if not better than my HD600s.  I like my sennheisers a lot but they have never been truly satisfying for me.  The mid range is to my ear cluttered.  I'd like to upgrade them within 6 months and would be willing to drop up to, but preferrably not, $1000.  I've only started to dig around in that price range so I haven't yet come up with a plan.  But, if the FX700 have a cleaner midrange and slightly better tonal color, I'd probably be quite happy.  I'd love to kill two birds with one $320 stone. 

Here is what I like in sound reproduciton in order:
-Tonal "color" - I want the rich fleshy tone of a cello or the cool etheral tone of a flute to really be unmistakeable.
-Dynamics:
-Voice seperation
-Soundstage
-detail

Along with all the other audiophool  mumbojumbo dejour of course ;-} 

Thanks for your thoughts!

I have both FX700 and HD600. For rock, jazz, trance, dub step, and pop, I prefer the JVC's. The FX700 is known as the king of timbre and from comparisons with other IEMs, I have to agree.
The FX700 has great dynamic range, detail and wide soundstage. I really enjoy the FX700.  The HD600 is more mid forward with a larger soundstage as expected from a full size phone. The FX700 has better quality with lower extension and quantity bass, greater quantity/quality and extension and detail in the highs.
The FX700 doesn't require an amp and I find them very comfortable. They are both very different.

Sep 20, 2012 at 9:02 PM Post #1,845 of 23,425
Quote:

Although I enjoy the HD600, I am looking for a phone that works better with rock. I'm considering DT880/250, Q701, Grado 325 or SRH940. I'm not a bass head but do like quality and extension rather than a mid bass hump.
Did you find the Q701s work well with rock?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back