Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Oct 5, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #1,861 of 23,458
Quote:
In my experience the HD600 will not be good for for rock and metal.  Let me re-phrase that: it will sound good but it won't impress you.  Increasing the volume will not make the tremble sound more upfront it will still sound laid back. Do you listen to a lot of different genres as well? If not I would look into some AKGs (Q701 sounded extremely good with rock for me but made some genres sound horrible) Where as the HD600 makes every genre sound good but makes nothing sound amazing.

I listen to mainly rock and metal, but I listen to some pop as well. Do you think the HE400 will be a better option? People say it sounds really impressive at louder volumes.

Oct 5, 2012 at 11:05 PM Post #1,862 of 23,458
You can apply a simple piece of Creatology foam to the back of the round hole to increase the impression of treble slightly. It really clears up the sound too and makes them slightly less warm and more detailed. I know the HD-600 will never be treble heavy, but the HD-600 actually has more upper treble than the Q701! My HD-600 now doesn't feel too dark at all.

For rock music I'd have no problems using the HD-600 or my K601.

IFor Metal, the HD-600 might make me sad..the closest thing to Metal I have is... Primus
biggrin.gif

Oct 6, 2012 at 12:40 AM Post #1,864 of 23,458
I just got some HD600s from a member today. Here are a few thoughts:

I'm loving the sound signature (using ODAC and E17 as an amp) and I can't wait to hear them with the Lyr. I've read they scale very well, same with the HD650s. I can't help but wonder how the HD650s would sound, but people say they're thicker and not as detailed as the HD600s, which is what I love about them -- they're laid back but not muddy. I can still hear plenty of details. I'm also loving the vocals, they sound great compared to the HE400s and the DT880s, which IMO sound better than the HE400s.

Okay, wow. These HD600s are impressing me left and right. Bon Iver sounds simply delightful. His voice is full and rich, perfectly rendered. I just heard a saxophone far away, really low volume, never heard it before in this song. I'm definitely keeping these.

I love my DT880s (250ohm) even with the E17, and I'll have a Lyr tomorrow. The HD600s are awesome for Bon Iver, anything with great vocals. They're closer to the front than the DT880s and HE400s, and liquid smooth too. Not too dark or warm either, but detailed. Exactly what I was looking for. If I could just stretch them out a little more they would be almost perfect. Not sure I'm gonna sink a $150 cable upgrade into them, but I don't feel like I have to. They complement the sparkly treble of my DT880s perfectly.

Oct 6, 2012 at 1:26 AM Post #1,866 of 23,458
Absolutely. I am falling in love with these headphones. I don't need the HD650s for now. These are quite satisfying.

Oct 6, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #1,867 of 23,458
Quote:
same with me I don't really listen to metal. I might try that foam mod, what kind of glue did you use to put keep it on? you just put it right over the hole?

I used the Creatology foam that has adhesive backing and is thin. You can press it against your fingers a few times so it's less sticky. When you remove it, there's no adhesive. It takes me less than a minute to do this mod in total. 100% don't remove the foam that's already there. Removing the foam actually BLOATS the bass severely to me.

Make sure it's ONLY over the round inner circle part. Here's a post i've done and a picture. I'd suggest making it much smaller than this square. I now have it much smaller. You can sort of "tune" the resulting sound. It actually reduces the mid/upper bass a tad I think to more neutral levels. If you don't want any less bass, I wouldn't bother really. It's not a massive reduction and is worth it to me. It's crystal clear sounding to me now.

BTW the foam is $2 and found at a store called "Michaels". I believe it's the same used in the HD-800 mod. Not sure. Other materials might work. Probably not even foam is needed. Maybe tape?

Here's my link:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/538255/sennheiser-hd-600-appreciation-thread/1515#post_8554486

I've been using this for a few weeks with no issues. The first mod (pictured) made the HD-600 TOO revealing. Reducing the size made it perfect.

Oct 6, 2012 at 3:59 AM Post #1,869 of 23,458
Find a HD580 for even better value :wink:

Even with the HD600 grills (mainly for aesthetics imo) they still wouldn't cost over $200 and will sound very very sweet. I prefer the look of the HD580+600grills over the stock hd580 or the stock hd600.

Oct 6, 2012 at 4:23 AM Post #1,870 of 23,458
I finally ordered the HD600's I can't wait to get them (will take a while), I hope I return to this thread with good news 
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 6, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #1,872 of 23,458
Quote:
Find a HD580 for even better value :wink:

Even with the HD600 grills (mainly for aesthetics imo) they still wouldn't cost over $200 and will sound very very sweet. I prefer the look of the HD580+600grills over the stock hd580 or the stock hd600.

+1

Though I wish Sennheiser didn't use so much plastic.

Oct 6, 2012 at 2:02 PM Post #1,873 of 23,458
Last night I did a different mod consisting of taking off the ear pads and removing the oval piece of foam in between the driver and your ear.  Wow it made a huge difference, bass is reduced quite a bit there is a ton more detail and separation in the tremble.  I think I might actually prefer HD600s over the Q701 now guitar and rock actually impresses me now and I don't have to deal with the annoying tremble I used to get with the Q701 when using e7/e9.  They are more revealing now no doubt but there is still enough bass there for rap/hip hop/electronic music to sound good.  I cut up pantyhose to replace the foam so oil wont get into the driver,  I see how people say these are so good now!

Don't know if I should do the mod you mentioned now, even less bass and more tremble would seem like over kill I think the balance is pretty good right now

Oct 6, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #1,875 of 23,458
Quote:
Last night I did a different mod consisting of taking off the ear pads and removing the oval piece of foam in between the driver and your ear.  Wow it made a huge difference, bass is reduced quite a bit there is a ton more detail and separation in the tremble.  I think I might actually prefer HD600s over the Q701 now guitar and rock actually impresses me now and I don't have to deal with the annoying tremble I used to get with the Q701 when using e7/e9.  They are more revealing now no doubt but there is still enough bass there for rap/hip hop/electronic music to sound good.  I cut up pantyhose to replace the foam so oil wont get into the driver,  I see how people say these are so good now!

Don't know if I should do the mod you mentioned now, even less bass and more tremble would seem like over kill I think the balance is pretty good right now

I read that wrong at first and thought it said you removed the piece of foam on the BACK of the driver. For me that actually made the bass even more bloated and the mids recessed.

I haven't removed the foam behind your ears yet, but I did that a year ago on another pair. Anyone can replace it with speaker fabric from Parts Express if needed. It's much thinner.

If you're happy with the sound now, no point in doing the mod I suggested. Maybe someday if you're bored. It's 100% reversible. The back grill can be opened up without even removing the pads. Just the cable. The mod just makes the bass pretty much dead neutral to me. A little more than the Q701 (mine is a lot bassier than the old K702 I had).

I'm listening to my HD-600 now with an old Panasonic portable CD player to my Total Airhead. Sounds pretty good. I think the HD-650 cable does seem to bring the mids forward a tad. Probably due to capacitance. Could be my source since I haven't used the HD-650 cable with my ODAC yet. This cd player seems to cover up flaws in recordings pretty well and sounds pretty musical.

I bought a crappy Insignia CD player for $12 and it almost has as much detail as my computer DAC
confused_face_2.gif
Best of all it has a line out!

It seems the HD-600 changes quite a bit based on what it's connected to. Kinda neat how I didn't like the HD-600 much until I modded it. Now I like it almost as much as my Q701. It's more comfortable too and less picky about amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back