Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jan 2, 2021 at 7:44 PM Post #21,242 of 23,425
Let’s just face it: there are no ‘perfect’ headphones out there. All headphones, at least in stock form, sacrifice something in order to do other stuff better.
The HD600 can’t do rumbles in the way say an LCD-2 can...yet the Audeze doesn’t do realistic mids and treble like the Sennheiser. Hell even one of the most pricey cans out there with one of the arguably finest bass performances, the Abyss flagship, sounds out of whack in the midrange compared to the 600.
I have bought and sold a couple of HD600s in my day - mostly due to the bass response and me having a fairly eclectic taste in music that encompasses a good deal of electronic music. I a/b’ed with my HE500 and it was just no contest. I did however learn that I can hear deep bass sounds fairly clearly over the old Sennheiser...but far from being as impressive and realistic sounding as over the Hifiman.
But...turn the competition around and play some Nick Drake, Talking Heads, Can or even an early Floyd recording..and suddenly it’s the 600 taking the lead.

What I love about the 600 though is that when I’ve spent a little time with it on my head, no genre seems lacking. Even modern electronic stuff like Burial flows naturally...all I really need to do is sit back and relax...and possibly keep the HE500 out of sight😛

Good summary. I am of the same opinion.

Jan 2, 2021 at 9:55 PM Post #21,243 of 23,425
Let’s just face it: there are no ‘perfect’ headphones out there. All headphones, at least in stock form, sacrifice something in order to do other stuff better.
The HD600 can’t do rumbles in the way say an LCD-2 can...yet the Audeze doesn’t do realistic mids and treble like the Sennheiser. Hell even one of the most pricey cans out there with one of the arguably finest bass performances, the Abyss flagship, sounds out of whack in the midrange compared to the 600.
I have bought and sold a couple of HD600s in my day - mostly due to the bass response and me having a fairly eclectic taste in music that encompasses a good deal of electronic music. I a/b’ed with my HE500 and it was just no contest. I did however learn that I can hear deep bass sounds fairly clearly over the old Sennheiser...but far from being as impressive and realistic sounding as over the Hifiman.
But...turn the competition around and play some Nick Drake, Talking Heads, Can or even an early Floyd recording..and suddenly it’s the 600 taking the lead.

What I love about the 600 though is that when I’ve spent a little time with it on my head, no genre seems lacking. Even modern electronic stuff like Burial flows naturally...all I really need to do is sit back and relax...and possibly keep the HE500 out of sight😛
The HD600 and HE-500 (pad change + screen off) are the top two headphones I've heard that don't need EQ to sound excellent. However, for my case, the HE-500 was just the overall better headphone acoustically speaking (comfort is still a lot to be desired). I had to release the HD600 because it wasn't special enough for me, but I can understand why it's special for a lot of others who owns (owned) it. It's easily among my recommended list of good sounding headphones for new comers. The positive thing about the HD600 is that they're still in production, unlike the HE-500 (which is an additional reason why I'm keeping them for the longest time).

If I meet a local that has a HD600 + BH Crack setup that I can try (post COVID), maybe my opinion about the HD600 might change. But for now, it has left my inventory.

Jan 3, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #21,245 of 23,425
Any suggestions for a decent cable upgrade (both 6,35mm and xlr 4 pin is of interest) for the hd6xx series? Thinking around 100-150 EUR or so at most.
customcans.co.uk, great cables for less than that.

Jan 3, 2021 at 3:06 PM Post #21,247 of 23,425
Thanks!
Remains to be seen if it will be as simple as before to order from the uk now hehe.
Yeah that's a good point! I hope it doesn't make things complicated, customcans is one of my favorite shops.

Jan 3, 2021 at 4:11 PM Post #21,248 of 23,425
Any suggestions for a decent cable upgrade (both 6,35mm and xlr 4 pin is of interest) for the hd6xx series? Thinking around 100-150 EUR or so at most.

Furutech ADL iHP-35S, even better than FAW cables for the 6-series and that's saying something.

Jan 3, 2021 at 8:54 PM Post #21,249 of 23,425
I've had my HD600 since 2002-2003 and it's the only headphone I always get back to and just never let go. There are headphones out there that are technically better in one way or another, but this one is the most well rounded and just has some magic in mid-highs. No better headphone for audiophile grade recordings with a lot of acoustics and vocals.

When I want to listen to some modern rock, EDM or play a game - I grab my Fidelio X2 which is a ton of fun, but nothing beats HD600 for critical listening.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2021 at 11:40 PM Post #21,250 of 23,425
I've had my HD600 since 2002-2003 and it's the only headphone I always get back to and just never let go. There are headphones out there that are technically better in one way or another, but this one is the most well rounded and just has some magic in mid-highs. No better headphone for audiophile grade recordings with a lot of acoustics and vocals.

When I want to listen to some modern rock, EDM or play a game - I grab my Fidelio X2 which is a ton of fun, but nothing beats HD600 for critical listening.
Same here and same year; haven’t been without an HD600 since 2003. Still listen to it on a regular basis.

Jan 23, 2021 at 4:19 PM Post #21,253 of 23,425
I received my 6XX a few days ago and so far I still like the 600 better. Better detail, more natural sound, punchier for rock and better on guitar/vocals in general. Everything sounds crystal clear and 3D with the 600, whereas the HD6XX sounds distant and murky, to me. Mushy and creamy with a lot of the finer details lost. This is with a Rega Planar 3 and Little Dot Mk III with Mullards, so maybe a different setup would suit the 6XX better, but for my ears and this setup, the 600 is much preferable.

The 6XX reminds me of a fake surround effect on a two channel stereo receiver. Just spreads everything out and almost has a hall reverb effect.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #21,254 of 23,425
I received my 6XX a few days ago and so far I still like the 600 better. Better detail, more natural sound, punchier for rock and better on guitar/vocals in general. Everything sounds crystal clear and 3D with the 600, whereas the HD6XX sounds distant and murky, to me. Mushy and creamy with a lot of the finer details lost. This is with a Rega Planar 3 and Little Dot Mk III with Mullards, so maybe a different setup would suit the 6XX better, but for my ears and this setup, the 600 is much preferable.

The 6XX reminds me of a fake surround effect on a two channel stereo receiver. Just spreads everything out and almost has a hall reverb effect.

I pretty much agree. I find the 650/6XX to sound dull. It does better with solid state amps, though, whereas I prefer the HD600 with tubes. It's all about synergy.

Jan 24, 2021 at 12:07 PM Post #21,255 of 23,425
When it comes to newer version 600/650, I prefer the 650. It’s easier to drive and has a more bass. The two headphones are closer in sound sig than they ever have been to my ears as well; w the 650 sounding less midbass bloom type warm and more neutral/warm and 600 basically having a very similar sig. I think the 600 is maybe slightly faster and it’s not peaky at all anymore, as it used to bother me in the 5k region. The newer 650 is pretty quick too though. It’s sounds less romantic/slower than I remember it. Again it’s a lot like the 600 now, just easier to drive and actually has some bass. The newer 600 is near impossible to drive properly on a solid state amp, at least w the the ones I have/had

Users who are viewing this thread

Back