Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Dec 10, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #21,211 of 23,456
@darkarn Not sure if the posts from Sennheiser were here, on the HD-650, HD-660 or HD-560S thread. I think for sure the one with them stating directly all 6-series drivers are made in Ireland is in the 560S thread, about 45-60 days ago.

Good luck. Sounds like that shop should make it up to you somehow.

Dec 10, 2020 at 11:55 AM Post #21,212 of 23,456
@darkarn Not sure if the posts from Sennheiser were here, on the HD-650, HD-660 or HD-560S thread. I think for sure the one with them stating directly all 6-series drivers are made in Ireland is in the 560S thread, about 45-60 days ago.

Good luck. Sounds like that shop should make it up to you somehow.

Thanks, looks like I need to expand my search, or maybe I consider an Ireland HD650 first since these are still decently priced in the 2nd hand market. Then again, the HD650 makes me sleepy while the HD600 keeps me on the go. Hmm.

As for the shop making it up, it is not easy since:
1. It says there was no Ireland stock left actually (which brings up the question of why even advertise it in the first place?)
2. I can either keep or return them for a refund, no more, no less (i.e. I cannot have my refund and keep the HD600)
3. It's the Singapore branch of Sennhieser, not some third party dealer (if it was the latter, I can ask for other products I guess)

Dec 10, 2020 at 12:01 PM Post #21,213 of 23,456
@darkarn Not sure if it helps you at all, but I have two old versions and one new one. I like them just the same. Personally I hear no difference.

They do have a different feel. I switch between old and new every few weeks. This to say that the new version is equally nice, just slightly different feel to the plastic. I never felt that it's cheaper. I understand that the old version was prone to chipping with use (I take such good care of mine, that they look perfect). The new version is like the 660S, no paint, no chipping down the line. And the 660S is supposed to be the premium of the 6-series, even if we can all agree the 600 is king.

Dec 10, 2020 at 12:11 PM Post #21,214 of 23,456
@darkarn Not sure if it helps you at all, but I have two old versions and one new one. I like them just the same. Personally I hear no difference.

They do have a different feel. I switch between old and new every few weeks. This to say that the new version is equally nice, just slightly different feel to the plastic. I never felt that it's cheaper. I understand that the old version was prone to chipping with use (I take such good care of mine, that they look perfect). The new version is like the 660S, no paint, no chipping down the line. And the 660S is supposed to be the premium of the 6-series, even if we can all agree the 600 is king.

Thank you, this is kinda reassuring. I recall seeing someone reporting that the new one is more easily scratched though right?

Dec 10, 2020 at 12:22 PM Post #21,215 of 23,456
Yes, but if I recall correctly he said that he remembers how that happened, that it was clear "incident", he dropped it or hit it against something. Maybe it would have been less visible on the old version due to the marbled pattern. But the new version in theory should hold up even longer over the years.

Dec 10, 2020 at 12:34 PM Post #21,216 of 23,456
Yes, but if I recall correctly he said that he remembers how that happened, that it was clear "incident", he dropped it or hit it against something. Maybe it would have been less visible on the old version due to the marbled pattern. But the new version in theory should hold up even longer over the years.

I prefer the marbled pattern due to how well it held up, as seen in one of the audio shops' test set here. As for the new version, the problem lies with whether the theory holds up. I am kinda worried about the plastic, unless the plastic used remained the same for both versions?

Dec 10, 2020 at 11:43 PM Post #21,217 of 23,456
Just woke up, I still can't get over the issue

It is very maddening since it is clearly not my fault but yet I will have to be the one to spend more time and money to fix other people's mistakes

@Sennheiser what do you say? (since this is especially from your shop)

Dec 10, 2020 at 11:52 PM Post #21,218 of 23,456
Just woke up, I still can't get over the issue

It is very maddening since it is clearly not my fault but yet I will have to be the one to spend more time and money to fix other people's mistakes

@Sennheiser what do you say? (since this is especially from your shop)

Seriously?

Get over it. Not worth being this upset; it’s almost comical.

Dec 10, 2020 at 11:55 PM Post #21,220 of 23,456
All this "they are the same" business. The sound you hear is more than just the Driver. The fact that the new version uses a new mould, does not have a coating of hard paint and weighs less screams they WILL sound different to those with a revealing system and golden ears.

Oh, I'm not saying better...or worse. Just different.

Phew!

Dec 11, 2020 at 12:00 AM Post #21,221 of 23,456
All this "they are the same" business. The sound you hear is more than just the Driver. The fact that the new version uses a new mould, does not have a coating of hard paint and weighs less screams they WILL sound different to those with a revealing system and golden ears.

Oh, I'm not saying better...or worse. Just different.

Phew!

That's what I am suspecting too but there is no test to confirm/deny this. So I wanted to just get one of the older ones first while seeing how this goes

Dec 11, 2020 at 1:48 AM Post #21,222 of 23,456
Wow...talk about buying nervosa.
You’d think that during the last couple of years where the new molds have been in place that we would have gotten some whack frequency responses from these supposedly inferior sounding new Sennheisers....but we don’t. They look exactly like the old ones.
We do however get a busload of folks who believe they once heard something different over their old Ireland model....as well as the large number of peeps who still are clueless about pads, the degredation of pads and indeed how this translates into sound quality.
If you still are wary about this... then hell do yourself a favour and get the old one. Be rid of the nervosa once and for all! Tadah..problem solved:)

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2020 at 2:01 AM Post #21,223 of 23,456
Wow...talk about buying nervosa.
You’d think that during the last couple of years where the new molds have been in place that we would have gotten some whack frequency responses from these supposedly inferior sounding new Sennheisers....but we don’t. They look exactly like the old ones.
We do however get a busload of folks who believe they once heard something different over their old Ireland model....as well as the large number of peeps who still are clueless about pads, the degredation of pads and indeed how this translates into sound quality.
If you still are wary about this... then hell do yourself a favour and get the old one. Be rid of the nervosa once and for all! Tadah..problem solved:)

That's what I was trying to do; that was why when the shop offered that Ireland version on clearance, I immediately jumped on that.

I think why I am not happy right now is how the shop did not communicate with me beforehand that they are unable to fulfil the order and just assumed that I would be ok with the Romanian version, especially when there was at least a week between the order and delivery. It's the lack of communication by the shop that did not sit right with me, especially as the shop is Sennhieser themselves!

By extension, I think this entire debacle could have been avoided/lessened in the first place if Sennhieser were to have given everyone a proper heads up about this (I have actually checked the newsroom section and can't find proper announcements about the change other than the Romania factory opening). Heck, they can even spin it as a 74th/75th anniversary renewal kind of thing and most of us would have just lapped it up as a good thing

Dec 11, 2020 at 2:16 AM Post #21,224 of 23,456
Any shop advertising an Ireland 600/650 these days is effectively advertising a NOS item:wink:

I’ve been reading both this and the 650 thread for a couple of years now and have literally lost count as to just how many times this thing has been debated...and shot down again.
It’s like a neverending re-run.
..then again I’ve heard the “different versions” next to each other...and found no sound quality differences whatsoever. I’ve satisfied my own curiosity.

Dec 11, 2020 at 2:32 AM Post #21,225 of 23,456
Any shop advertising an Ireland 600/650 these days is effectively advertising a NOS item:wink:

I’ve been reading both this and the 650 thread for a couple of years now and have literally lost count as to just how many times this thing has been debated...and shot down again.
It’s like a neverending re-run.
..then again I’ve heard the “different versions” next to each other...and found no sound quality differences whatsoever. I’ve satisfied my own curiosity.

I am ok with the NOS item especially cos it will be fully warrantied (unless from 2nd hand sellers of course). :wink:

And not everyone has the luxury/priviledge to be able to listen to both sets side by side too, especially newcomers. I think this can be another source of the nervosa too?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back