Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Oct 24, 2020 at 4:43 PM Post #20,986 of 23,456
Sold my HD 600's back in April, and been kinda regretting it, so looked on this thread thinking of finding another pair. When did they change the color to black??? Do they still sound the same as the marbled models?
Production moved from Ireland to Romania recently. I have not heard the new ones. Depending on your country you might find the NOS Irish version or contact your Sennheiser distributor to see if they can locate one for you.

P.S. Don't ever sell a pair of 600s!

Oct 24, 2020 at 4:49 PM Post #20,987 of 23,456
Production moved from Ireland to Romania recently. I have not heard the new ones. Depending on your country you might find the NOS Irish version or contact your Sennheiser distributor to see if they can locate one for you.

P.S. Don't ever sell a pair of 600s!
Thanks for the reply. I sold a bunch of headphones this past year, still have way too many, but selling the HD600's bug me, you are right, don't sell them, lol.
Luckily I still have my HD650's, and don't really miss the HD58x or HD700.
And Romania is better than China, I guess. :shrug:

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2020 at 5:52 AM Post #20,989 of 23,456
Thanks for the reply. I sold a bunch of headphones this past year, still have way too many, but selling the HD600's bug me, you are right, don't sell them, lol.
Luckily I still have my HD650's, and don't really miss the HD58x or HD700.
And Romania is better than China, I guess. :shrug:
It remains unclear. The Neuman (Sennheiser) NDH-20 is getting a lot of good reviews. Of course I prefer European products and don't have much from Asia. I was shocked to see Sennheiser making these decisions but they have changed a lot since I bought my first pair.

Oct 29, 2020 at 4:21 AM Post #20,990 of 23,456
Sold my HD 600's back in April, and been kinda regretting it, so looked on this thread thinking of finding another pair. When did they change the color to black??? Do they still sound the same as the marbled models?

i have an marbled made in ireland version i may be willing to sell. want to raise money towards Atticus

pmed you

thx

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2020 at 12:00 PM Post #20,991 of 23,456
So I use a Schiit Magni 2 Uber amp with my HD600s. I basically always keep it on the low gain setting, since that gets the volume up as far as I need it when I'm listening to my lossless files burned from CDs. Is there any advantage to using the high gain setting, or is that just if you can't get the volume high enough for your preferences?

What do you guys use to power your HD600s? I'm happy with my Modi/Magni 2 Uber stack, but that's all I've ever used, so it's tough to compare how it'd sound with other components.

Oct 29, 2020 at 8:36 PM Post #20,992 of 23,456
It's not just about loudness but dynamic range and the ability for the amp to drive the HPs correctly for certain types of music.

I actually run my HD600s with a 100W Class A power amp (with adaptor off the speaker taps). None of my other dedicated HP amps can match the weight and dynamic range it can portray.

I did find High Gain on my THX 789 came across best, so yes...I will always recommend a higher power output to enable the Senns to perform at their best.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2020 at 9:43 PM Post #20,993 of 23,456
So I use a Schiit Magni 2 Uber amp with my HD600s. I basically always keep it on the low gain setting, since that gets the volume up as far as I need it when I'm listening to my lossless files burned from CDs. Is there any advantage to using the high gain setting, or is that just if you can't get the volume high enough for your preferences?

What do you guys use to power your HD600s? I'm happy with my Modi/Magni 2 Uber stack, but that's all I've ever used, so it's tough to compare how it'd sound with other components.

I used to run my 600's on a Ragnarok 1, and thought it was fine. On a 1.5 watt OTL tube kit amp (Bottlehead Crack w/ speedball), it blows the Rag out the window. The missing bass is back, good to 35 Hz not 60 like on the Rag, suave, rich, romantic. I wired up my BHC with a 4 pin balanced input because my good cable on the 600 is balanced, along with every other can I have, I'll add a SE side by side at some point.

I never heard the Modi/Magni stack. I imagine the Valhalla 2 (an OTL amp) would sound good with it - but I haven't heard it.

Oct 30, 2020 at 9:22 AM Post #20,994 of 23,456
Currently, I drive my Sennheiser HD 600 with a Fiio BRT5 (balanced output). But I intend to update my system.

In the future, I plan to buy an OTL Amplifier for my cans. But now, as a "New Head-Fier", I intend to buy a entry level DAC/AMP stack and improve my "listening skills" day by day.

I am between two options:
- Schiit | Modi 3 and Magni 3+
- Topping | E30 and L30

Disregarding any price difference, what do you think is the best option to drive my Sennheiser HD 600?

Oct 30, 2020 at 9:53 AM Post #20,995 of 23,456
It's not just about loudness but dynamic range and the ability for the amp to drive the HPs correctly for certain types of music.

I actually run my HD600s with a 100W Class A power amp (with adaptor off the speaker taps). None of my other dedicated HP amps can match the weight and dynamic range it can portray.

I did find High Gain on my THX 789 came across best, so yes...I will always recommend a higher power output to enable the Senns to perform at their best.

Thanks for the advice. I will start trying it with the high gain setting and compare.

Oct 30, 2020 at 9:58 AM Post #20,996 of 23,456
For what's is worth I recently did a blind test to compare the HD600 out of my Fiio K5 pro (entry-level desktop dac/amp combo) and Fiio E5 (super cheap portable amp) and couldn't even tell the difference. They sounded basically the same to my ears, despite the K5 being 10 times more powerful in terms of Mw/ohm (not sure about the exact voltage which probably matters more for high impedance cans). Never tested the HD600 with something higher-end.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2020 at 10:05 AM Post #20,997 of 23,456
For what's is worth I recently did a blind test to compare the HD600 out of my Fiio K5 pro (entry-level desktop dac/amp combo) and Fiio E5 (super cheap portable amp) and couldn't even tell the difference. They sounded basically the same to my ears, despite the K5 being 10 times more powerful in terms of Mw/ohm (not sure about the exact voltage which probably matters more for high impedance cans). Never tested the HD600 with something higher-end.
Imo the HD600 doesn't need that much power. It needs average power. Scaling is still incredible. For every piece i improve in my chain every headphone increases for +1 and the HD600 just gets +2. That's why HD600 has now surpassed all my headphones.

Oct 30, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #20,998 of 23,456
Imo the HD600 doesn't need that much power. It needs average power. Scaling is still incredible. For every piece i improve in my chain every headphone increases for +1 and the HD600 just gets +2. That's why HD600 has now surpassed all my headphones.

What are your other headphones, out of curiosity?

I have Sony MDR-7506s and that's about it right now. I used to have Grado SR-60s, but those bit the dust, which is why I got the HD600s. Also considering getting a HFM Sundara one of these days.

Oct 30, 2020 at 3:44 PM Post #20,999 of 23,456
What are your other headphones, out of curiosity?

I have Sony MDR-7506s and that's about it right now. I used to have Grado SR-60s, but those bit the dust, which is why I got the HD600s. Also considering getting a HFM Sundara one of these days.
At the moment the other headphones are Grado GS1000e, Denon AH-D9200, Akg K1000, Sennheiser HD 540, Akg K702 and K371

Oct 30, 2020 at 11:25 PM Post #21,000 of 23,456
At the moment the other headphones are Grado GS1000e, Denon AH-D9200, Akg K1000, Sennheiser HD 540, Akg K702 and K371

I've always wanted to get more Grados, since that's what I started with with the SR-60s. There's just so many models!

I appreciate that with Sennheiser, once you get to a certain price point, there are only SO MANY models, although they've added more in recent years with the HD660s and all these upgrades in the 5XX line. I will never get rid of my HD600s, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back