Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Nov 28, 2017 at 11:05 PM Post #18,721 of 23,439
The Vali2 is less than twice the price of the ember, I live in Canada so the exchange rate will play a big role.

Is the Vali2 worthwhile after switching out the stock tubes? Apparently the stock one is very neutral sounding.

Nov 28, 2017 at 11:42 PM Post #18,722 of 23,439
The Vali2 is less than twice the price of the ember, I live in Canada so the exchange rate will play a big role.

Is the Vali2 worthwhile after switching out the stock tubes? Apparently the stock one is very neutral sounding.
I'm a fan of the Lyr.
It's kind of a "both worlds" amp, you can go solid state or tube on it.
I tend to like neutral/flat, as I prefer to have the music available as it is recorded/mixed at the studio, as the artists desire it to be presented.
Mess with EQ if I'm not happy.

Now, that being said.... for your Senns, you could consider a Woo product. I have the 600's,(among a few other Senn offerings), and I tend to use a WA6 for them. It's a SUPER amp for tube rolling!
You can get into all kinds of tubes on it, and some of the most pleasing tube combos are surprisingly inexpensive.
It's amazing how many NOS tubes are still around that are either under-rated or not trialed enough to get much review.
AND there are THREADS GALORE here about tube rolling on the WA6.
It's a little workhorse that many a happy Headfi-er has, or has had in the inventory. It's an amp that has headed many a Headfi-er down the vortex of the tube amp.
And they can be had, from time to time, on ebay or here in the FS section, or several other locations online, although with the caveat that other sites might not be as trustworthy as ebay and Headfi are.
You can buy tubes here and on ebay. You can get upgrade sets at Woo.
I even have a spare WA6, for goodness sakes.

I don't think you can go wrong with that as a tube amp for your Senns, it can drive many other rather demanding cans as well. So it can drive you further down the tube amp road, should you acquire other headphones that a tube amp would be nice for.
A tube amp can take some very clinical sounding cans into the realm of liquidy organic heaven and is well worth the investment.

oh. There are several Canadian purveyors of tube amps out there, you should search them.
Ebay and Headfi sales also may help with your concerns over this, you might find a Canadian seller to meet your needs.
There are several of us Canadians around here, dontchyaknow.....:wink:

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2017 at 4:10 AM Post #18,727 of 23,439

I'd say the Ember is worth double the price of the Vali2 but only because I've found it to be a really good amp for many different headphones and having the adjustable output impedance and single tube makes it a good amp to learn the effects of tube rolling and the how different output impedance affects the sound signature of various headphones. But since you say you don't want to get into tube rolling the Vali2 might be a better solution at this time since its cheaper and might be easier to get in Canada.

What you guys think about using hd600's with Woo WA7?
I've had the WA7d and its one of the most beautiful amps I've had but unfortunately it doesn't sound as good as its looks and its limited in tube rolling IMO.

Nov 29, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #18,728 of 23,439
I'd say the Ember is worth double the price of the Vali2 but only because I've found it to be a really good amp for many different headphones and having the adjustable output impedance and single tube makes it a good amp to learn the effects of tube rolling and the how different output impedance affects the sound signature of various headphones. But since you say you don't want to get into tube rolling the Vali2 might be a better solution at this time since its cheaper and might be easier to get in Canada.

I've had the WA7d and its one of the most beautiful amps I've had but unfortunately it doesn't sound as good as its looks and its limited in tube rolling IMO.

I just got the WA7d on Massdrop and upgraded the tubes, although you’re correct that there are limited tube rolling choices, I find the WA7 wonderful and a definite improvement on the Shiit Vali2 or the Aune T1 both of which I used with a top notch Amperex 7308 tube. Perhaps the beauty of the Woo has me fooled, but I’ve been playing this for a month now and couldn’t be happier. The 600s pair really well with this. Of course everyone has their own opinions, what are you using with the SD600s?

Nov 29, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #18,729 of 23,439
I just got the WA7d on Massdrop and upgraded the tubes, although you’re correct that there are limited tube rolling choices, I find the WA7 wonderful and a definite improvement on the Shiit Vali2 or the Aune T1 both of which I used with a top notch Amperex 7308 tube. Perhaps the beauty of the Woo has me fooled, but I’ve been playing this for a month now and couldn’t be happier. The 600s pair really well with this. Of course everyone has their own opinions, what are you using with the SD600s?

But Vali 2 and T1 is definitely not powerful enough for HD600. It's better than them does not mean it could be better than Ember or Valhalla. What's the point to buy it if it's not better than Ember or Valhalla which is only a little portion of its price?

Nov 29, 2017 at 7:49 PM Post #18,730 of 23,439
The beauty of the WA7 can fool some (had some friends do a simple blind test and most liked the BH Crack or Ember over the WA7d), it not a bad sounding amp but its not a good/great sounding amp to me, its the DAC section that is holding it back to me and at its price range its way over priced IMO. The Ember with some tubes were cleaner and more dynamic sounding than the WA7d to me but sound is subjective so if you are enjoying the WA7d I'd enjoy it and pay no attention to my impression. I used a BH Crack with the HD600 when I had them but with different tubes from the stock ones along with different caps.

The Vali2 and Aune T1 are good for the price and something I'd recommend to those that want cheap-as-possible single tube rolling for higher impedance headphones like the HD600 but when compared to amps like the Ember or BH Crack they are not quite as clean, detailed, dynamic and in the case of the Ember not as flexible but since it subjective it really what sounds good to the individual that matters.

Nov 29, 2017 at 10:48 PM Post #18,732 of 23,439
The beauty of the WA7 can fool some (had some friends do a simple blind test and most liked the BH Crack or Ember over the WA7d), it not a bad sounding amp but its not a good/great sounding amp to me, its the DAC section that is holding it back to me and at its price range its way over priced IMO. The Ember with some tubes were cleaner and more dynamic sounding than the WA7d to me but sound is subjective so if you are enjoying the WA7d I'd enjoy it and pay no attention to my impression. I used a BH Crack with the HD600 when I had them but with different tubes from the stock ones along with different caps.

The Vali2 and Aune T1 are good for the price and something I'd recommend to those that want cheap-as-possible single tube rolling for higher impedance headphones like the HD600 but when compared to amps like the Ember or BH Crack they are not quite as clean, detailed, dynamic and in the case of the Ember not as flexible but since it subjective it really what sounds good to the individual that matters.

Oh, but that DAC can be used by itself to DAC something even better.
I am using my WA7 as a DAC for my WA22 and it's da bom.
NICE clean DAC.

I have rolled tubes on it.(within the aforementioned limited choices), and you can do better than stock.
I also agree that it is pricey.
Got one for way less on The 'Bay.

sure is pretty though, and, for how I listen, when I'm using it alone with the Senns, it really is peachy.
I only bought one after it won my blind test against Darkvoice and, yes, Bottlehead.
You're correct; it's a matter of taste and HUGELY subjective.
Partly why, if you can do it, physically listening to something, (instead of blindly ordering online based on other people's opinions, as helpful as we try to be), is the vastly preferable way of choosing.

Best of Luck in your pursuits, Zimtron!

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2017 at 12:47 AM Post #18,734 of 23,439
Do you feel the speedball is a requirement with the crack? (I hate how stupid this sounds when referencing the product name)

Or would the Ember compare with the crack + speedball ?
I took out the speed ball since it sounds better to me without it. With or without the speed ball the BH Crack is a better amp than the Ember for the HD600/650 but if you have other headphones like a planar or low impedance dynamic then the Ember would be the better choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back