Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Nov 19, 2017 at 11:20 PM Post #18,706 of 23,417
I have to share my thoughts with you. Am i lunatic or something but i just feel HD600 is overall better headphone than Focal Elear in my ear.
I have listen them side by side few days now and this is my conclusion.
Ok Elear have more bass but HD 600 do so many things better in my ear. Anyone else who think same?

There's nothing wrong with your impressions. Remember, the HD 600 was a flagship way back in the late 90s, when the idea of a $1,000+ headphone (outside Sennheiser's own statement-piece Orpheus and a few other brands' esoteric offerings) was ludicrous. Sennheiser tried to make the HD 600 the best it could be. The Elear isn't even Focal's best headphone, and we're living in an era where flagship headphone pricing has inflated in some cases ten and even twenty times what it was when the HD 600 was new. It isn't all that surprising that one of the best in the world back in the late 90s through late 2000s would still be competitive with an upper midrange choice in the current headphone landscape. Contrary to what some people might say, we just haven't experienced that humongous a leap in the raw technical capability and tuning of passive headphone drivers, and arguably, tuning has actually regressed when you consider all the expensive flagships that still have audible and measurable issues in the treble that the HD 6x0 line has never had.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2017 at 12:46 AM Post #18,707 of 23,417
[QUOTE="Pedro Oliveira, post: /QUOTE]

Have you tried the HD600 on anything other than your Fiio?

Sorry for asking but I find it hard for anyone to find fault with these. They are spot on in natural and realistic tone and neutral balance

Same goes for the other poster DavidA who continually reminds us that he didn't like the headphone with these troublesome peaks that I dont hear or understand. If one doesn't like something then move on is my advice.

Sounds like the Philips may be the one for you:wink:.

Only a topping nx1 and the result was the same. I like to keep my setup simple and mobile. Not thinking of vuying big amps to be honest.... i thinm i would buy something like a chord hugo than a magni, modi or a tube amp. I like simple and mobile.

David as moved on to the hd650 and 700. He no longer as the hd600. But like me and a few others he felt a peak on the hd600 that unfortunately bothers some of us to the point of making our ears numb. We are not saying the hd600 is bad in any way. We are just unfortunate to be sensible to this peak.

I already have the x2 and i prefer their sound signature to the hd600. But i would be a fool and a liar if i would not say that the hd600 is clearly the more resolving, detailed and natural headphone.

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2017 at 6:19 AM Post #18,708 of 23,417
Thank you david. Sorry for tbe late response but i was waiting on more answers to see how everybody perceived the same track on their units.... without luck... :D

Anyway... i perceive that exactly the same way on my hd600s. Right on the beggining the track the vocals are on the right. What is really weird thoigh is that on any other headphone i one this is barely noticeable if not even centered. On the x2s i cant perceive that.... guess the hd6x0 line is really picky super accurate when it comes to placement of instruments and showing bad records. Inevef experienced this on any other headphone for sure wich can be very good and very bad at the same time.
I could speculate that we both have two f-ed up headphones but if it was the case we woukd hear this type of placement on all songs. :)

I really have a love/hate relationship with this hd600... on one hand is the more clear and resolving headphone i ever head without sounding thin or too bright... besg vocals i ever heard.... on the other hand there is sgill some peaky s... screwing my ears at timea, i wish they sounded a bit more full bodied and heavy on the bass. The x2 is verh fun in comparison and full bodied but after some time you realize the treble is not aso natural and that the vocals afe not as good and more recessed. I doubt the hd650 wluld completely satisfy me because despite the heat hurting peak i like the treble and mids of the hd600 and i am affraid the hd650 smooths that too much and i end with something not so natural, airy and resolving despite gaining bass. Now i am wondering of course of the hd660s and 700...
I didn't use a HD600 to listen to the track since my friend who bought it from me sold it a few months after buying them from me. I used my Nhoord Red V2, Ypsilon R1, HD700 and HD650 to evaluate the track and they all had the vocals off to the right but the degree of being off centered varied from a lot on the HD800/HD700 to not much on the HD650 with the Nhoord and Ypsilon in between. I had the X1 for a year and got the X2 but returned them since they were quite close to the X1 and in the end I also sold the X1.

@god-bluff, when I had the HD600 I could never understand why they left me fatigued like @Pedro Oliveira until another poster suggested the issue with the peaks and its why I went in search of something to replace the HD600 since I liked its sound signature. Its like with the HD700 that I usually tell anyone that ask about them that the treble peaks may or may not bother them, it really depends on ones hearing / DAC / amp / listening level / genre and other factors. I have a few friends that also like the sound signature of the HD600 but don't want to deal with DACs/amps or even a DAP so its another reason I searched for a replacement of the HD600.

Nov 20, 2017 at 6:23 PM Post #18,709 of 23,417
I have to share my thoughts with you. Am i lunatic or something but i just feel HD600 is overall better headphone than Focal Elear in my ear.
I have listen them side by side few days now and this is my conclusion.
Ok Elear have more bass but HD 600 do so many things better in my ear. Anyone else who think same?
Not sure about calling the HD600 necessarily better than the Elear when I had tested it (albeit briefly), but I distinctly remember not considering the Elear worth the money when you could get an HD600 for a fraction of the price. My impression of the Elear was that it was better than the HD600 based on about 15 minutes of listening, but that the HD600 delivers like 90% of the Elears performance which made the HD600 the clear overall winner in my book.

Nov 21, 2017 at 10:11 PM Post #18,710 of 23,417
Hi, I'm looking for a carrying/storage case for the HD 600, I lost the thing's packaging. No need to be fancy, as long as it fits the HD600 (while extended and wired) snugly and don't stress the 2 connectors too much.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Please keep it below $30. Many thanks in advance!

Nov 22, 2017 at 7:55 PM Post #18,711 of 23,417
Hi, I'm looking for a carrying/storage case for the HD 600, I lost the thing's packaging. No need to be fancy, as long as it fits the HD600 (while extended and wired) snugly and don't stress the 2 connectors too much.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Please keep it below $30. Many thanks in advance!

Large size Standard Edition Headphones Case Earphone Bag Headphone Box For Senheiser HD598 HD600 HD650 Beats pro studio pro AKG
http://s.aliexpress.com/miAnIbuU
(from AliExpress Android)

Nov 27, 2017 at 10:09 AM Post #18,713 of 23,417
I posted this question on the HD660S thread but didn't get an answer, hopefully I'll have more luck here...

I've read a few peoples comparisons of the HD600 vs HD660S and am a little confused about the difference in opinion about the sonics of the HD600 vs HD660S. Some suggest the 600 has more forward mids, whilst others suggest the 660S has more forward mids. I've not heard the 660S yet, I have also never heard the 650, the only two models I have experience of is the 600 and 800S.

For me personally, the 600 is a little too forward in the 3kHz-4kHz region, and by contrast the HD800S is a little too recessed in this area. As a result, whenever I listen to my 600 I engage a -2dB Q2 notch filter EQ @ 3.3kHz which gives the 600 a smoother overall tonal balance to my ears. This of course doesn't solve the very slight overall veil/fuzziness that I hear in the 600. Therefore I still reach for my 800S when I'm in "maximum detail retrieval" mood as I ultimately find the 800S more resolving, but for everyday general listening I love my 600.

I'm wondering if the 660S bridges the difference between the 600 and 800S in terms of both tonality and resolution?

Nov 27, 2017 at 12:43 PM Post #18,714 of 23,417
Hi!,
I recently bought a 10 years old HD600 in bad shape but functionnal. I replaced the earpads and bought a new cable. While doing some clean-up I remove the drivers and noticed they are identified by print as :
16 05 07 hd 580 makro.

I did my search within this thread and found that HD580 and HD600 are the same drivers, etc...the story ... etc .. https://www.headfonia.com/the-sennheiser-trio-hd580-hd600-hd650/ but

I am wondering if on your drivers of HD600 it is written hd 600 or hd 580?? I would believe with the 580 production stopped the identification on the driver would have changed also.
Hi I just looked at mine, its 600 and I bought them 6 months ago. their manufacturing date is 1.1.2017

Nov 27, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #18,715 of 23,417
Hi everyone, can you please check a song for me, the song is "Taylor Swift - I did something bad" I know this specific genre and artist my not have much fans here but something at the end of this song really bugs me...at the 3:45 the beat gets weird crack like noise on the mostly right side, you know when you hear them its just made me so anxious...I just want to know if it is from how the song is mixed or something wrong from GOD forbids my headphones, many thanks in advance.

Nov 28, 2017 at 9:32 PM Post #18,717 of 23,417
Hey guys,

I'm really looking for some help when it comes to driving these with an OTL, I'm currently using a Magni2 but I want to experience the magic with a tube amp.

The problem is I cant seem to get a grasp of what is good from a price/performance ratio ... Schiit, Woo Audio, Bottlehead, Little Dot etc.

Everything I hear about these manufacturers is good, however there is nothing that directly compares them in terms of quality and sound signature.

I'm not sure if anyone has insight on this, however it would be much appreciated as I feel lost.

Thanks.

Nov 28, 2017 at 10:00 PM Post #18,718 of 23,417
Hey guys,

I'm really looking for some help when it comes to driving these with an OTL, I'm currently using a Magni2 but I want to experience the magic with a tube amp.

The problem is I cant seem to get a grasp of what is good from a price/performance ratio ... Schiit, Woo Audio, Bottlehead, Little Dot etc.

Everything I hear about these manufacturers is good, however there is nothing that directly compares them in terms of quality and sound signature.

I'm not sure if anyone has insight on this, however it would be much appreciated as I feel lost.

Thanks.
My first question would be are the HD600 the only headphone that the OTL amp will be used for and are you willing to roll tubes at an additional cost? The tubes that many like or recommend for OTL amps are not cheap and for some of the highly prized ones they can even cost more than the base price of the amp. If you want to slowly try tubes with a smaller investment then I would suggest a hybrid such as the Project Ember, CTH, or if you like Schiit the Lyr2 or cheaper Vali2. Hybrids give most of the benefits of an OTL but are more flexible since they also have much lower output impedances than most OTL amps and will pair with a wider range of headphones.

Nov 28, 2017 at 10:08 PM Post #18,719 of 23,417
Thanks for the response.

I would be using these strictly for my HD600's, my Teak's/shp9500 would be driven by my Magni when in use.

I dont plan on tube rolling however this may change once I get more experience with the setup.

How does the Vali stack up to the Valhalla / Project Ember just as an example?

I've read the Ember is great for tube rolling as it is very convenient.

Nov 28, 2017 at 10:22 PM Post #18,720 of 23,417
Thanks for the response.

I would be using these strictly for my HD600's, my Teak's/shp9500 would be driven by my Magni when in use.

I dont plan on tube rolling however this may change once I get more experience with the setup.

How does the Vali stack up to the Valhalla / Project Ember just as an example?

I've read the Ember is great for tube rolling as it is very convenient.
The Ember is one of the best amps in its price range and great for learning about tube rolling since its only one tube and it will support many different families of tubes so you have a very wide selection. It also has adjustable output impedance to better match various headphones. The Vali2 is great for the price but not quite as flexible as the Ember but at less than half the cost its still a decent amp. The Vali2 also doesn't support as many families of tubes like the Ember IIRC and the stock 6JD8/6922 while quite common are not as cheap as the 12XXX and 6SN7(with adapter) tubes that the Ember will support.

The Valhalla2 is an interesting OTL amp in that its not what I would consider a warm amp and from the short time I had a friends it didn't seem to be very receptive to tube rolling like the Ember or Vali2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back