Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jun 14, 2017 at 8:04 PM Post #18,317 of 23,433
Would I get the same HD600 sound by switching out the drivers from my HD650? I'm looking to buy both drivers for different things instead of buying two headphones entirely and it's cheaper this way.

From what I understand, yes. The 600 and 650 are both entirely modular. I recall someone confirming this years ago when I got my HD600 but I cant remember where. I think you can do it with the old HD580 too.

Jun 14, 2017 at 9:13 PM Post #18,318 of 23,433
Newbie here, please forgive me for any stupid questions.

Recently got the hd600s, this is my first pair of real headphones other than Bose qc35 which I use on airplanes only. I mostly listen to rock and I’ve ripped all my cds to flac on my windows machine and apple lossless on my iPad. My ears are finally starting to break in and I’m learning to appreciate how great these headphones sound...but that has me wondering if additional investment will bring me even more enjoyment.

I started listening directly plugged into the Realtek jack on my pc, but that didn’t sound much better than my cheap earbuds. So I got the oppo ha2-se and that helped a lot (also with my car speakers). However, I can’t really tell much difference with the oppo when using it with my iPad (as opposed to just plugging directly into the headphone jack of the iPad). I’ve been using Dire Straits - Brothers in Arms as my test album, if that matters.

So with that intro, here are my questions:

1. Is the oppo a good match for the hd600? For desktop only, should I get a different dac or amp or would it not really matter to my untrained ears?
2. How do you folks try new headphones to determine if you like them? I’ve heard a couple sets at Best Buy, but you can’t judge anything in that loud environment. From what I’ve read on these forums, I’d love to hear the hd800s to see how much difference they would make, but have no idea where I could go to hear them.
3. Since I’m so new at all of this, I don’t really know what I’m missing. I think there is a lack of bass with the hd600s but I can’t really speak the audiophile language yet and I have no frame of reference. Any suggestions on how to tweak the sound with my existing setup?
4. I don’t find the hd600s comfortable, I think i have weird shaped ears. I tried a pair of $600 Sonys at Best Buy, and they were instantly super comfortable (cushy feeling). Any recommendations for other ‘cushy’ high-quality cans to try?

The clamp lessens with time. Just wear the thing, and within a few weeks it will have loosened up. Fully extending and carefully bending the metal adjusters outward can also help, as can placing the headphone on something slightly wider than your head (e.g. a stack of books) for a day or so. I would suggest you try other remedies before this last one, however, as it will put pressure on the pads, which might wear them out prematurely. They're $50 for a new set, so anything that potentially lessens their lifespan should only be done sparingly and as a last resort.

As for the bass, that's just how the HD 600 is. That's its one weakness; being a 90s-era open back dynamic, it's never going to have the bass extension and grunt you get with closed headphones or planar and electrostatic designs, or even some modern open dynamic headphones. Every headphone has some compromise. For me personally, what the HD 600 does well (overall tonality and smoothness, lack of treble bite) outweighs its shortcomings, but that's always going to be a personal choice. If the missing bass matters more to you than it does some of us here, that's a perfectly valid conclusion.

In my neck of the woods, there are precisely zero places with interesting headphones to try. I've unfortunately had to try everything I've ever bought by ordering it in and living with it for a while. Some of it had to go back, either because it didn't meet my performance expectations or because I couldn't stand wearing it (I'm looking at you, NAD HP50). Despite being relatively picky, I ended up with far too many headphones anyway. Especially since the HD 600 gets used about 90% of the time these days, with the remainder being times when I need isolation or portability so I'm forced to choose something else.

Setting aside everything else, the best thing you can do is just relax and enjoy the music. Worrying about audiophile stuff is a good way to end up listening to gear instead of music, emptying your wallet, and not ever being satisfied. Obviously, if you can't get into the music because the sound just doesn't work for you or the fit remains distracting even after some time, that's a problem, and it's not one you should force yourself to live with. Crate 'em up and try something different. But in the short term, just let the HD 600 work its magic--you've got to work your pair in to loosen up the clamp, anyway, so you might as well do it while listening.

Jun 15, 2017 at 1:15 AM Post #18,320 of 23,433
The clamp lessens with time. Just wear the thing, and within a few weeks it will have loosened up. Fully extending and carefully bending the metal adjusters outward can also help, as can placing the headphone on something slightly wider than your head (e.g. a stack of books) for a day or so. I would suggest you try other remedies before this last one, however, as it will put pressure on the pads, which might wear them out prematurely. They're $50 for a new set, so anything that potentially lessens their lifespan should only be done sparingly and as a last resort.

As for the bass, that's just how the HD 600 is. That's its one weakness; being a 90s-era open back dynamic, it's never going to have the bass extension and grunt you get with closed headphones or planar and electrostatic designs, or even some modern open dynamic headphones. Every headphone has some compromise. For me personally, what the HD 600 does well (overall tonality and smoothness, lack of treble bite) outweighs its shortcomings, but that's always going to be a personal choice. If the missing bass matters more to you than it does some of us here, that's a perfectly valid conclusion.

In my neck of the woods, there are precisely zero places with interesting headphones to try. I've unfortunately had to try everything I've ever bought by ordering it in and living with it for a while. Some of it had to go back, either because it didn't meet my performance expectations or because I couldn't stand wearing it (I'm looking at you, NAD HP50). Despite being relatively picky, I ended up with far too many headphones anyway. Especially since the HD 600 gets used about 90% of the time these days, with the remainder being times when I need isolation or portability so I'm forced to choose something else.

Setting aside everything else, the best thing you can do is just relax and enjoy the music. Worrying about audiophile stuff is a good way to end up listening to gear instead of music, emptying your wallet, and not ever being satisfied. Obviously, if you can't get into the music because the sound just doesn't work for you or the fit remains distracting even after some time, that's a problem, and it's not one you should force yourself to live with. Crate 'em up and try something different. But in the short term, just let the HD 600 work its magic--you've got to work your pair in to loosen up the clamp, anyway, so you might as well do it while listening.

Thanks for the insight. I think I'd like to have at least 1 more pair to alternate with the hd600s, and I think I would prefer something that sounds quite a bit different (probably more bass since that's the only weak spot I can find with the hd600 so far). I spent a couple minutes at Best Buys listening to the B&W P7s, and although you can't get a great feeling for the sound in the store, they were MUCH more comfortable than my 600s. They seemed to have more bass kick as well, but I really don't know if that's the case.

Does anyone here have experience with the P7 and how they compare to the hd600?

Jun 15, 2017 at 2:04 AM Post #18,321 of 23,433
Thanks for the insight. I think I'd like to have at least 1 more pair to alternate with the hd600s, and I think I would prefer something that sounds quite a bit different (probably more bass since that's the only weak spot I can find with the hd600 so far). I spent a couple minutes at Best Buys listening to the B&W P7s, and although you can't get a great feeling for the sound in the store, they were MUCH more comfortable than my 600s. They seemed to have more bass kick as well, but I really don't know if that's the case.

Does anyone here have experience with the P7 and how they compare to the hd600?
I have no experience with the P7, but I'd say for the same money, grab a Fostex TH-X00. It's a totally different sound from the HD600, but very complementary. It's the same combo I've got, loving it. Comfortable, good-looking, and well-built too.

Jun 15, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #18,324 of 23,433
Yep, it's all in the drivers. There's measurement confirmation out there if you search outside Head-Fi, where the same two driver capsules were moved into different HD 6x0 housings, and the system (capsule + housing) measured identically each time. I'd love to link it here, but...er...I can't (don't ask).

Jun 19, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #18,325 of 23,433
Other headphones that are more comfortable: HD700, SRH-1540/1840, K7XX, T1, DT-990 premium or MDR-1A.
Hi @DavidA and others, first time posting here albeit I've been participating for quite some time on the FA Elise and Euforia threads. How do you find the K7XX as an alternative to the HD600? Most people consider the latter as end game for the money and usually propose going for more expensive gear. ATM I'm very satisfied with the HD 600 but I also have an itch for tasting some vfm alternatives - one of them being the K7XX and the other being a vintage pair of K240DF.

What do you think?

Jun 19, 2017 at 11:18 AM Post #18,326 of 23,433
Hi @DavidA and others, first time posting here albeit I've been participating for quite some time on the FA Elise and Euforia threads. How do you find the K7XX as an alternative to the HD600? Most people consider the latter as end game for the money and usually propose going for more expensive gear. ATM I'm very satisfied with the HD 600 but I also have an itch for tasting some vfm alternatives - one of them being the K7XX and the other being a vintage pair of K240DF.

What do you think?

The comfort is different, I found HD600 to be really comfortable while K7XX didn't sit exactly as good on my ears...

Jun 19, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #18,327 of 23,433

What do you think?

Don't put too much weight into my impressions since I sold my HD600 a while back due to the 4-5khz peak that bothered me at times. From my memory the K7XX was a bit more extended in the highs which I feel gave them a better sound stage, mids on the HD600 were smoother and more detailed than the K7XX, bass impact is better on the K7XX but not by much. I know you have an Elise so I would not recommend the K7XX since its tends to sound better on lower output impedance amps (to me anyway). If I were you I would look at either a HD700, HD800 or T1.1 as they would make better complimentary headphones to the HD600. Or go in a totally different direction with a planar but just remember that for me and the owner of the Elise, we both didn't like the pairing with the HE400i, HE560, LCD-2f and EL8-open, but it was with stock tubes in the Elise. I know a few say the Elise with alternate tubes will work with the HE560 but I don't think that any OTL amp like the Elise or BH Crack will pair well with a planar. The HD650 was also a bit too warm with the stock tubes of the Elise but I didn't try the K7XX with the Elise so its hard to say.

Jun 19, 2017 at 10:33 PM Post #18,328 of 23,433
Hi guys

I'm thinking of buying Sennheiser HD 600. I have doubt if the following combos can drive it:

- Fiio X7 + AM5 Module;
- Fiio E17k + Fiio K5;

I got this info, but I dont know how to interpret correctly:

* Fiio AM5 module: Output into 300 ohms: >55 mW (300Ω/1 kHz)
* Fiio K5: Max Output Power @ 300 ohm: >150 mW

Any (or both?) of this combo would that be enough to get all the power from Sennheiser HD 600?

Thanks a lot for the help

Jun 20, 2017 at 1:26 AM Post #18,330 of 23,433
Hi guys

I'm thinking of buying Sennheiser HD 600. I have doubt if the following combos can drive it:

- Fiio X7 + AM5 Module;
- Fiio E17k + Fiio K5;

I got this info, but I dont know how to interpret correctly:

* Fiio AM5 module: Output into 300 ohms: >55 mW (300Ω/1 kHz)
* Fiio K5: Max Output Power @ 300 ohm: >150 mW

Any (or both?) of this combo would that be enough to get all the power from Sennheiser HD 600?

Thanks a lot for the help

With an HD 600, the AM5 will produce a peak amplitude of just under 115 dB, while the K5 will max out at a little over 119 dB. Both are plenty loud, with the K5 in particular entering ear- (and possibly headphone-) damaging output when fully opened up with a high level input. If you want to check this stuff out for yourself, Audiobot9000 is a useful tool:

https://www.audiobot9000.com/

You can put the HD 600's specs right into the calculator on the front page and work out the mW output required to reach a given amplitude (anything above 110 dB should cover any normal usage), or you can go right to the headphone's page and pick different amps from a wide selection and see how they interact with the headphone. For instance, for the HD 600 paired with the K5:

https://www.audiobot9000.com/match/sennheiser/hd-600/with/fiio/k5

Note that this doesn't seem to work right with Chrome or Safari in my experience. It does work with Firefox, however.

To sum everything up, you should be absolutely fine with either of the amps you've listed. That said, you'll likely hear from people who assert that loud enough != powered. I don't personally truck with that notion, since I'm an objective, numbers kind of guy. It's up to you what you believe, though, as it's your money and your time. The HD 600 is a phenomenal headphone and is well worth the investment, no matter where you ultimately decide to go with amplification.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back