Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
Jun 22, 2017 at 10:59 PM Post #18,347 of 23,458
Hi! Can anyone help me decide between 598 and 600? What are the differences between them? I mainly listen to Classical music. Thanks.

Neither would be my choice for classical since the sound stage on both is decent but not a trait that I like with classical. While I did own both for a period I gave the HD598 to an old GF and sold the HD600. The main differences between them is the HD600 needs to be paired with a decent amp while the HD598 is a bit easier to amp, HD600 is fuller sounding and its a bit more resolving.

Jun 22, 2017 at 11:20 PM Post #18,348 of 23,458
Neither would be my choice for classical since the sound stage on both is decent but not a trait that I like with classical. While I did own both for a period I gave the HD598 to an old GF and sold the HD600. The main differences between them is the HD600 needs to be paired with a decent amp while the HD598 is a bit easier to amp, HD600 is fuller sounding and its a bit more resolving.

You can never get a better one for classical at the price of 600, maybe even one time more expensive. 600 is so much better than 598. Even no room for comparison.

Jun 23, 2017 at 12:01 AM Post #18,349 of 23,458
You can never get a better one for classical at the price of 600, maybe even one time more expensive. 600 is so much better than 598. Even no room for comparison.

For classical I like both the K7XX or DT-990 250 ohm premium over the HD600, much better sound stage and a bit better low end if price is under $250. Going up a little more in price to $350 it would be a Ypsilon R1 build, to me and a few others the HD600 is less dynamic, smaller sound stage, harsh in the treble (for me), is bass lite, and lacks sub-bass in comparison. But if you want a neutral sound or want something for mastering the HD600 would be my first recommendation. Different horses for different courses

Jun 23, 2017 at 10:17 AM Post #18,350 of 23,458
For classical I like both the K7XX or DT-990 250 ohm premium over the HD600, much better sound stage and a bit better low end if price is under $250. Going up a little more in price to $350 it would be a Ypsilon R1 build, to me and a few others the HD600 is less dynamic, smaller sound stage, harsh in the treble (for me), is bass lite, and lacks sub-bass in comparison. But if you want a neutral sound or want something for mastering the HD600 would be my first recommendation. Different horses for different courses

I stubbornly pursued soundstage before, after more and more listening, I found 3D sound is much more important than soundstage! Moreover, for headphones, there would be no quality difference on soundstage, no way. The strongest of Senn. products are 3D image. It's well agreed 600 has the most natural and relax sound for people to ENJOY music. The only complain I have for 600 is analysis. It does not have that sharp imaging as IE800. But that's the reason they made HD800.

Jun 23, 2017 at 10:21 AM Post #18,351 of 23,458
I stubbornly pursued soundstage before, after more and more listening, I found 3D sound is much more important than soundstage! Moreover, for headphones, there would be no quality difference on soundstage, no way. The strongest of Senn. products are 3D image. It's well agreed 600 has the most natural and relax sound for people to ENJOY music. The only complain I have for 600 is analysis. It does not have that sharp imaging as IE800. But that's the reason they made HD800.

I wish they made an ie800 in headphone form though - all so far have a great sound, but ie800 just has those sweet mids that make me return to them - HD800 having good mids, but ie800 somehow being sweeter.

HD600 is somewhere in between, really enjoyable and good all over the spectrum, but as you said, the sparkle in the top end is more intriguing on HD800 and ie800.

Jun 23, 2017 at 11:49 AM Post #18,353 of 23,458
When it comes to the HD600, "properly amplified" is easy to achieve.
Depending on who you talk to. If you're talking to me, then yeah, I'm with you, not terribly hard to power an HD600, at least not as hard as its impedance would suggest. But there are many people who would disagree with that and to those people, I say that I'm enjoying mine just fine and they can go do what makes them happy.

Jun 23, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #18,355 of 23,458
I agree it's easy to drive. But it's not very easy to get its full potential. Then main differences are soundstage and separation. Otherwise, different amplifiers seem to make little difference.
Then I would ask, what properties of an amp affect separation or soundstage? Any decent amp has an imperceptible crosstalk and a very flat FR or phase shift.

Jun 23, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #18,356 of 23,458
Then I would ask, what properties of an amp affect separation or soundstage? Any decent amp has an imperceptible crosstalk and a very flat FR or phase shift.

I have no idea. I'm not an audio engineer. That's my personal experience. I have several amplifiers ranged from NX1 to Valhalla 2. Difference is obvious.

Jun 23, 2017 at 2:03 PM Post #18,357 of 23,458
I have no idea. I'm not an audio engineer. That's my personal experience. I have several amplifiers ranged from NX1 to Valhalla 2. Difference is obvious.
I wonder how much can be attributed to expectation or volume mismatches. Other than what I mentioned I can't find any other properties that can affect this listening experience. But if it works for you I wouldn't stop you from enjoying the experience.

Jun 23, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #18,358 of 23,458
I wonder how much can be attributed to expectation or volume mismatches. Other than what I mentioned I can't find any other properties that can affect this listening experience. But if it works for you I wouldn't stop you from enjoying the experience.

I did double blind test with absolute volume matching using a microphone and a dB meter on multiple amps - all amps had a certain sound of their own, using the same headphone, same volume, same song, same ETC.

The difference is in the OP-AMPs used I think, or even in the tuning the company went for.

Jun 23, 2017 at 3:29 PM Post #18,359 of 23,458
I did double blind test with absolute volume matching using a microphone and a dB meter on multiple amps - all amps had a certain sound of their own, using the same headphone, same volume, same song, same ETC.

The difference is in the OP-AMPs used I think, or even in the tuning the company went for.

Ok. And generally I found my OTL tube amplifiers have larger soundstage of more holographic sound. Better than any SS amplifier I have, though I do not have high end SS amplifiers.

Jun 23, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #18,360 of 23,458
Ok. And generally I found my OTL tube amplifiers have larger soundstage of more holographic sound. Better than any SS amplifier I have, though I do not have high end SS amplifiers.

I don't contradict! My experience with Tube is too limited to even talk about them... Curious to try more tube amps myself actually!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back