Sennheiser HD 600 Impressions Thread
May 31, 2017 at 6:43 PM Post #18,287 of 23,482
Pffft, HD6x0 will never be an HD25, bass-wise.

HD25 bass bleeds into the midrange a bit for most of us HD25 users. HD650 never comes close to that much bass, and less so with HD600.

'Pfffft'?!?? Pfffft

I'd have to say the difference in bass between the two is even less apparent using my current full size amp. Listening to 'Tuesday Wonderland' by E.S.T the HD600 actually has the more low end impact I feel. High gain for 600, low for 25, volume levelled. It's capable of serious bass. As much as I want. The HD25 are a little more hard hitting with 'Lost and Found' by Peter Hammill (both these are particularly bass heavy tracks by my standards!!!)

No idea what you're on about with the 'bass bleed' of the 25 and don't think I need to know

Not really important, end of day. It's what you perceive and are happy with

EDIT maybe my HD600s and or amps are special ones.

Sorry can't do the smiley faces anymore but at least I've got the hang of the quote

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2017 at 3:44 AM Post #18,288 of 23,482
How does bass bleed into the midrange? The frequencies are different and I doubt that the pitch of the music changes. If the mids are elevated for these cans, then a better phrase should be used to describe the phenomena or FR.

Actually Stan I think its nitpicking - as most people will know what he means by that. Typically it means that the quantity of bass (either sub or mid) is such that it drowns out (or if you prefer "masks") the detail in the mid-range. I use the term in my reviews where appropriate and never had anyone throw that one at me yet.

Jun 1, 2017 at 5:31 AM Post #18,289 of 23,482
Actually Stan I think its nitpicking - as most people will know what he means by that. Typically it means that the quantity of bass (either sub or mid) is such that it drowns out (or if you prefer "masks") the detail in the mid-range. I use the term in my reviews where appropriate and never had anyone throw that one at me yet.
Then the proper use of language would be a better option. The words bleeds is very misleading. By the way, why should elevating the bass in one set of headphones drown out the midrange and another does not? If the midrange is suppressed, then it's probably an FR issue. You might consider describing the condition in better words. Why not?

Jun 1, 2017 at 6:34 AM Post #18,290 of 23,482
I think the thing that's bleeding is not the specific frequency range, but a general boost. Some headphones with elevated bass level off before the lower midrange, whereas for others the boost carries through into the lower mids (or higher) before returning to baseline level. The latter might be said to have bass bleed. It's not a strictly accurate description, but I guess it conveys the message because I get what people mean when they say it, and I'm sure I've used it before myself.

Jun 1, 2017 at 6:57 AM Post #18,291 of 23,482
I think the thing that's bleeding is not the specific frequency range, but a general boost. Some headphones with elevated bass level off before the lower midrange, whereas for others the boost carries through into the lower mids (or higher) before returning to baseline level. The latter might be said to have bass bleed. It's not a strictly accurate description, but I guess it conveys the message because I get what people mean when they say it, and I'm sure I've used it before myself.
I believe that's called Frequency Response.

Jun 3, 2017 at 11:44 AM Post #18,293 of 23,482
Maybe it's just me but I don't find a big difference in the amount of bass between the HD600 and HD25. The 600 is not bass light nor the HD25 a bassy headphone at least through my trusty old Graham Slee Voyager. Both are present and absolutely correct. Totally natural sound; the 600 obviously more refined and open but cut from the same cloth. The HD25-II has a little bit more impact maybe the HD650 matches it? Don't know? Never tried it.

Edit. sorry don't know how to quote anymore on new system. Responding to Pedro post 18279. Maybe you should try a different amp with your HD600?

I see some similarities in the highs and mids presentation of the hd600 compares to the hd25 and that is why i kind of havê a love/hate relationship with the 600. Despite the peaks, eletrics guitars havê some of the same bite, edge and agressiveness of the hd25 presentation. But in terma of bass response they are very different. At least both plugged to the e12, the hd25 hits much harder and being a on ear closed back it ressonantes much more. Being open back, i doubt the hd600 even touches the same bass present even with high end bassy AMP/DAC.

About the sennheiser qc. Yeah it seems very tight só i pretty much excluded that. They are the way they are.

Yep felt the same about the hd558. Is a slightly warmish, less hifi and less peaky sounding hd600.

You guys who tested the hd600 and silver drivers hd650s.... Wanna specify a bit more about the bass differences please? :)

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2017 at 12:21 PM Post #18,294 of 23,482
Has anyone had both?

I currently own both. They're surprisingly similar, except, as you would expect, the HD600, being open, sounds more spacious and 3 dimensional, while the 598, being closed, sounds more inside your head.

I would always prefer the HD600 unless I'm in an environment with sound pollution or risk disturbing others, where the closed HD598 would be necessary.

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #18,295 of 23,482
The original HD598 is an open back headphone. The only closed back is the HD598Cs...

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #18,296 of 23,482
Has anyone had both?

Please forgive me if this information is incorrect, but wasn't the HD600 virtually the same as the HD580, barring the grills used? I thought I heard while I researching my purchase ~5 years ago, that the 580 and 600 have the same drivers. I realize this may not answer the question directly, but I recall somewhere hearing that the HD600 sounded a bit more open and spacious after switching between the grills.

Jun 3, 2017 at 2:49 PM Post #18,297 of 23,482
,At least both plugged to the e12, the hd25 hits much harder and being a on ear closed back it ressonantes much more. Being open back, i doubt the hd600 even touches the same bass present even with high end bassy AMP/DAC.
:)

That's your impressions with your ears and your gear. I don't personally think the HD25 hits 'much harder' than the HD600 using my ears, my equipment and my particular examples of these phones. (The HD25s are about 10 years old and the 600 is a couple of months young) Both have nice clear defined and detailed bass; the HD25-II generally a little more, nothing like the bloated one dimensional mush emanating from a lot of modern phones.. All just Imo cheers

Jun 3, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #18,298 of 23,482
I see some similarities in the highs and mids presentation of the hd600 compares to the hd25 and that is why i kind of havê a love/hate relationship with the 600. Despite the peaks, eletrics guitars havê some of the same bite, edge and agressiveness of the hd25 presentation. But in terma of bass response they are very different. At least both plugged to the e12, the hd25 hits much harder and being a on ear closed back it ressonantes much more. Being open back, i doubt the hd600 even touches the same bass present even with high end bassy AMP/DAC.

About the sennheiser qc. Yeah it seems very tight só i pretty much excluded that. They are the way they are.

Yep felt the same about the hd558. Is a slightly warmish, less hifi and less peaky sounding hd600.

You guys who tested the hd600 and silver drivers hd650s.... Wanna specify a bit more about the bass differences please? :)

Probably the best I can give you : https://www.head-fi.org/f/threads/c...e-of-two-sennheisers-–-hd600-vs-hd650.740942/

Jun 4, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #18,300 of 23,482
Like some others, I find my HD600 to have emphasized treble that is at times challenging to listen to. I find the bass somewhat rolled off. My HD650 has a much smoother treble to me. It is unobjectionable but still detailed. The bass is more extended than the 600. I also find the HD650 to be significantly more detailed than the HD600. Significantly so. I like my 600, it is just that the treble can sometimes be a bit much, that's all. For this reason, I spend more time with my 650. I should probably learn how to eq my HD600--I am sure that would solve the issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back